Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new digital multimeter and am having problems testing the bike's charging system. Everything works fine when the bike is not running however, after it is started the multimeter display goes haywire. Numbers randomly cycle on the display regardless of the setting. It also works fine when i use it test my car's charging system. Any ideas why this is happening?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What type of mulimeter do you own? Explain what you are checking on your bike, and where you are placing the probes.

Freak

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is an Actron multimeter. The probes are only near the bike, not even touching it when it acts up. I have tried clearing them by touching the probe tips together, but that doesnt make a difference.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
ok. so with the multimeter set to the dc scale, you start the bike, and the scale starts going crazy. So what is the intrinsic difference between running and not running? The answer is alternating current, which is what the stator produces. AC can be induced into the leads of your meter causing erroneous readings. Try switching to the ac scale and observe the scale. What exactly are you trying to measure,and where on the bike are you trying to measure it?
Dianna read his post again. He is not installing a volt meter, hes using a multimeter to check his charging system. Starman's procedure does not apply here :)

Freak

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Ack.. ok.. nevermind then! :roll:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am attempting to measure the amount of current being supplied to the battery. What I would like to do is place the postive probe on the positive battery terminal and the negative on the negative terminal. This should be done with the multimeter set to DC anyway. Though as I even approach the started bike, the meter garbles-probes touching nothing. Using the meter in the same fashion with my car which is running, I have no problems. I have tried grinding my fillings together when i ride to see if I can pick up any radio stations, but so far nothing

·
Registered
82 Posts
To pick up a radio station, you have to hold your arms straight up then spin slowly till you get reception. ;)
Have you thought about returning that unit and trying another one?
Of course I'm no expert on multimeters, or radio.
Ride Safe
Wayne :)

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Just a thought.. but have you checked your spark plug wires to see if one might be arcing? Usual suspect is the right fron plug..
Just sounds like you are picking up "leaks" from your bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will check the plugs. I would agree with you that I am picking up leaks. I had returned the first meter and the second one is doing the same thing. You would think that if there was a bad ground somewhere that something wouldnt work right but everything electrical in nature seems to be working fine. The plug is a good place to start, though the engine is running really well too. A ghost in the machine. I should try to find a way for this to work to my advantage. Maybe drive by some ATMs and see if they start shooting bills out at me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the "fillings comment", but then again, I'm not the one with the problem. Good luck to you and your fillings.

Enjoy,

Freak

1 - 12 of 12 Posts