Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I need a little bit of advice. I recently removed and cleaned the carbs, but it seems not very successfully. Now I can start the engine with the choke, but i can't use the throttle because engine instantly dies. If I leave engine idling with the choke for a few minutes to heat it up a little I can disengage the choke and start driving.

The second "side effect" is that I have hard time adjusting the idling RPM. With the cold engine RPM stay around 1000, but when it gets hot idling RPM start to fall near zero until engine dies. I guess I will have to remove carbs once more, but could you point to me what can be the culprit?

Thank you.

Sebastijan

·
Super Moderator
11,863 Posts
Most of these bikes need to be warmed up well before you can shut off the choke and ride. Using the choke AND the throttle would make too rich a mixture and could easily kill the engine.

Changes in idle are usually do to an air leak around the carbs, so make sure the boots each side are tight. Perhaps a good dose of Seafoam would help before you try yanking the carbs off again.
If you do, take note of the jet sizes. Make sure the pilot jet has ALL its hole clear. Just because you can see light through it doesn't mean it's not partially clogged.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Knifemaker. I know about the choke, but this is different, engine dies the second I touch the throttle. I will try the Seafoam treatment and check for an air leak. Otherwise I will have to redo carbs cleaning.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Might be worth your time to check on the air filters to make sure they're in good shape.

If/when you tear down the carbs again, make sure the diaphragms are flexible and in good repair. It sort of sounds like the diaphragm(s) might not be lifting the needle from it's seat when you open the throttle, so it starves the engine, killing it. Might be a bad diaphragm or a clogged air channel between the air intake and the chamber on the other side of the diaphragm.

Was this bike sitting for a long time, or was it running before you cleaned the carbs this most recent time?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
Two videos that might help. This is the CV carb on my Sportster but same dealio. These are great videos.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, guys. I love the videos. But carbs are not my problem anymore, two hours ago tree fell over my bike and smashed it...

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,080 Posts
Thank you, guys. I love the videos. But carbs are not my problem anymore, two hours ago tree fell over my bike and smashed it...
Where in NY are you located and what damage was done? Yes that row of storms was a duesey

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Astoria, Queens, near Astoria park. A huge tree limb fell on the bike and smashed a gas tank, cut handlebar in half, tear of one of air filters, smashed rear fender and breaking light, I also think that the frame is bent, so...

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Holy ****. RIP bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts