Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone.

Today, I received in mail my new lever set - Highway Hawk Wide Blades ( See here.) At first, things went smoothly. Clutch lever was installed easily, and apparently works. But. Then I started working on the brake lever, and I ran into a major problem.

Bloody thing doesn't fit right.

Comparing the HH lever with OEM one, I noticed two major differences :

1. The 'drum' on the lever that the screw/bolt passes through - it is significantly wider on OEM than on HH.
  2. The notch at the edge of the lever that presses the microswitch - presumably for the brake light - is too far back on the HH lever, and doesn't come anywhere near the switch.
Since both Highway Hawk and Chrome & Leather (where I bought it) list the brake lever set as straight OEM replacement, no modifications needed, I wanted to ask for thoughts on the subject. Has anyone here used the said lever set successfully (or unsuccessfully), has anyone had 'OEM replacing part doesn't fit' experiences with Highway Hawk etc? Everything you have to say will be greatly appreciated!

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I see they have it listed as VN700/750. Kawasaki made a change at some point, and I bet you got the levers for the old model. Send 'em back. I read another thread (Verses, maybe?) about a another manufacturer's lever sticking and almost causing an accident because of a slight difference.

Of course, I could be wrong...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I believe it changed at the A6 model ('90).
The A10 Vulcan has the same brake lever as up to present.
Are you sure the master cylinder you have is original ? It should be the round one, not rectangular.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I -do- have a round master cylinder, indeed. I even bought a HH replacement shiny crome one... By god, since I bought the vulcan, I'm thinking like a magpie. Shiny! More shiny!

·
43 Posts
I think cegodsey is probably correct that the ones you got are for the older models. I just purchased a pair of the Kuryakyn wide chrome levers for my 92 and they work fine. jpcycles also has the braided stainless cables to make your bike even shinier

Bob
1992 VN750

·
Registered
5 Posts
I need the brake lever for 89 (A5?). It has the rectangular master cyl. Where can I find this? Seems that all suppliers have the newer model. Mama Kaw wants my right arm for a new one. Of course, then I couldn't use it!

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
There is a problem with HH levers, You can do a little mod to make them work. Yes people have has a spill because they stuck and locked the front tire. I would not trust them.
I beleve there is a article in the Verses.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
hyperbuzzin said:
I believe it changed at the A6 model ('90).
The A10 Vulcan has the same brake lever as up to present.
Are you sure the master cylinder you have is original ? It should be the round one, not rectangular.
1991 A7 model was the first with the round brake res. My 1990 has the rectangular res.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
lreedmd said:
I need the brake lever for 89 (A5?). It has the rectangular master cyl. Where can I find this? Seems that all suppliers have the newer model. Mama Kaw wants my right arm for a new one. Of course, then I couldn't use it!
The Professor from Nebrasca has a set of the old version that he wants to get rid of. His email address is [email protected]

·
"ya can't live forever"
321 Posts
Ccspinner said:
There is a problem with HH levers, You can do a little mod to make them work. Yes people have has a spill because they stuck and locked the front tire. I would not trust them.
I beleve there is a article in the Verses.
The guy who had the spill had installed Kuraykyn levers.....I have them on my bike without any problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts