Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a long trip planned next week leaving Columbus Ohio to Virginia. My question is what preventive maintenance should I be checking for ? I changed the oil and filter and topped off the coolant. The tires on my 04 vulcan have good thread. I just want to hear any concerns or experience you have had - The good -bad- or ugly.

Also, Are there any members who have roadside assistance they can recommend in case I break down ?:doh:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Check:
Cables...throttle, clutch, brake, choke, speedo.
Tire Pressure.
Have you lubed the splines?
Wouldn't hurt to be sure engine mount bolts are tight.
How do the brakes look?

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I 2nd the cable check & lube them including the speedo cable. A great trip can go bad real quick with a broken clutch or throttle cable. If you have a wet cell battery, check the levels & grease the terminals.

I like to add some MMO to the fuel (marvel mystery oil) for upper end lube.

DT

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Cell phone.

Cash and Credit Card.

If you no not have Ride-On in your tires, get a cheap tire plug kit from Wal-mart and a 12 volt air pump.

Check your tires before you leave.

That is it.

All the other stuff mentioned is stuff you are supposed to do periodicly anyway..so if you checked the tightness of all your bolts and nuts this month...they still should be tight. Your cables should already have been lubed, and you should have already checked your battery this week.

If you wouldn't pour over the bike for a 50 mile trip, why would a 600 mile trip be any diffrent?
Relax and don't try to worry. You can't prevent **** from happening if it is going to, Enjoy the trip.
KM

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the good information. I should have the bike road ready today for the trip. I will research and than lube the splines today. Maybe even see some vulcans on the way. I will be posting pictures of the trip in a couple of weeks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts