Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to know what grade of gas i am to use. I use Premium is this bad for the engine?

:motorcycl

·
Registered
699 Posts
regular gas is fine for the Vulcan....not sure if premium is bad for the bike but it IS for your wallet

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Our bikes are designed, engineered and intended to run on regular gas. Higher octane gasoline does not burn off effectively and can eventually cause buildup. If you have been running premium, start weaning your bike off of it.
Your bike will feel better and your wallet will too.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
If you want to "pamper" your engine, instead of using premium grade fuel, you'd be much better off instead switching back to (and staying with) regular grade....and using about 4 ounces of "Seafoam" fuel treatment at one fill-up, about once a month.

Also: use Seamfoam--and stay away from "Stabil"....

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok,

Now here is the thing. I do notice a diffrence in responce between the premium and the regular will the seafoam compensate? My last bike a VF750 interceptor i ran 108 octane racing fuel in. There was a real diffrece there untill i spun a main bering dooing 135. :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Ok,

Now here is the thing. I do notice a diffrence in responce between the premium and the regular will the seafoam compensate? My last bike a VF750 interceptor i ran 108 octane racing fuel in. There was a real diffrece there untill i spun a main bering dooing 135. :doh:
Big difference between that v4 honda motor and our v2. Stick to regular unleaded in your Vulcan.

Jon

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Seafoam does a wonderful job of fighting/removing moisture & fuel residue in fuel systems and lines...and keeps carbs/fuel injectors clean. Also lubricates engine's top end. Pour Seafoam in first, then top off your gas tank.

What you'll find is that Seafoam really does it best when it's allowed to sit overnight both in the carbs and the tank for a couple of days.

And, depending on how much build-up you have in your bike, more than one or two treatments of the stuff may be necessary.

Anyway, others here on the forum agree...it's a "tune-up in a can"....

For another perspective on Seafoam, click on the following link:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/sea-foam/

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
I concur with other responses here, use regular, it's what the bikes designed to use, and will cause the least problems with fouling, etc...:smiley_th

·
Registered
277 Posts
i use mid (89 octane) no fouling problems and seems easier to fire up first thing in the am. i get better gas milage by about 2 or 3 mpg. with its samll tank and limited range that 2 or 3 miles is a livesaver at times.

ride m safe J

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am using 93octane in my bike.I think this subject was brought up before!I use the 93octane for the anti knock qualitys.I hate it when an engine wants to {ping}knock I also put a few drops of acetone in to it helps to atomize the fuel better.No carbon deposits.Better ignition cleaner burn.Thats the ticket..............

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
I am using 93octane in my bike.I think this subject was brought up before!I use the 93octane for the anti knock qualitys.I hate it when an engine wants to {ping}knock I also put a few drops of acetone in to it helps to atomize the fuel better.No carbon deposits.Better ignition cleaner burn.Thats the ticket..............
I will agree with Krawdad though, you don't want pinging. A rule of thumb I've heard is go up in grade until you don't have ping, then try back one grade, but definitely run a grade that keeps it from pingin'.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Use 93 Octane Fuel

I just wanted to know what grade of gas i am to use. I use Premium is this bad for the engine?

:motorcycl
The VN750 has a compression ratio of 10.3 to 1 , that is a lot of compression. I use 93 octane and add a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil ( by it at Wal Mart or any auto parts store ) for cleaner carbs and a bit of upper cylinder lube. This combination has provided me with trouble free operation for my 2006 VN750. Remember octane ratings is not an exact science , you may buy 87 octane , but it may actually be 85 octane or even less if it has been stored for any lenght of time. Octane rating in gasoline diminishes with time. The safest bet is to put in the 93 octane fuel, that way if it happens to actually be less, you are still covered with enough octane in the fuel. Too low a rating can cause pinging, and thats like hitting the top of your cylinder heads with a hammer. I have a substantial investment in my VN750 and I'm not going to jeopardise it by trying to save a few cents a gallon on fuel.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
My gas doesn't stay in the bike long enough to drop octane ratings, and of course I use SeaFoam.
I have a 2000 that also pulls a sidecar using 87 octane and no pings, and no fouled plugs.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Using a higher octane than your engine requires can be harmful too. Higher octane burns cooler than lower, thats why it stops pinging if present. Too cool can foul plugs and create carbon deposits which a more harmfull than a little pinging.

Like someone else said, should go down until it pings, then go up one grade.

Always use good gas. Now we all know that all gas is the same, some retailers add better additives than others, stick to the big boys, Amoco/BP, Exxon/Mobil, Sunoco, etc and you won't have a problem with 87.

I have never heard my bike ping, then again, its probably too loud to hear that anyway!

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
My gas doesn't stay in the bike long enough to drop octane ratings, and of course I use SeaFoam.
I have a 2000 that also pulls a sidecar using 87 octane and no pings, and no fouled plugs.
Ha! Mine neither, 2 - 3 tanks a week when riding regularly. 75 mile round trip to work.

Jon

·
Avid Rider
279 Posts
No longer an issue with me, have to run 90+ octane with the EFI on the new bike...:doh:

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Maybe the gas causing pinging contains ethanol??? That would certainly give you headaches if you found some of that in your tank. It makes most vehicles run worse, get worse gas mileage and probably over time, will damage internal parts... I'd stay away from that.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
well since this is such hot topic i'll chime in too. i always run redular (exsept that one time when i found gas station where midgrade was actually cheaper then regular on my trip to Dubuqe,IA) and so far no problems, no knocking heard and bike is in one piece and generaly in good shape. ran through bottle of seafoam last season

as far as ethanol i don't remember the last time i've seen station selling selling gas without it. not sure about TX but here in north chicago burbs it seems all of them sell 10% ethanol.

·
Registered
299 Posts
There is nothing wrong with running premium fuel in our bikes Nothing.If you read the manual (which most people do not)The Minimum octane for our bike is 87.Also all gasoline burns at the same rate the only difference is that higher grade fuels have more anti knock compounds in them.They do not harm your engine.I was a small engine mech for many years and I had a lot of service schools to go to.And one in perticular they dicussed fuel and what they do to improve it.So if you like to use a higher octane please feel free to do so.........................................................

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I agree use what you want, but there is a difference in the way fuel burns. Higher Octane ignites at a hotter temp. That is what stops knocking or pining. Pining is when you have 2 ignition sorces or ignition at different times.
I am a Master Auto tech, I have been going to school for motors for over 10 years.
Thats why Toyota Prius cant run high octane, With the type of gas motor that they have, when they get hot they wont start.
Must use 87 octane. On high compression motors they generate high temp on compression and need to use higher octane to keep preignition like a diesel.
NO it wont hurt but it does take higher temps to burn completely so it can leave deposits from unburned or not fully burned fuel or additives.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts