Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. Santa was very kind to me and brought me a Garmin Zumo 550 for Xmas. It's a brilliant little unit, I must say. Anywho, it's focus is for motorcycles (although works in cars just the same) and came with some motorcycle-specific mounting hardware and doodads. One in particular is a couple of wires to connect to a power supply of some sort. Now, I know next to nothing about electrical systems in general, so does anyone have any recommendations where I can put the power wires? There's the usual 1 red (pos) and 1 black (neg) wires with bare ends. Any words of wisdom would be wonderful! I'm really itching to get this baby installed and start cruising some nice routes without having to worry about battery life.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
I have a Zumo also and simply wired it directly to the battery. You can also run the wires into the headlight shell and use the accessory leads found in there. ( your manual will tell you which wires to look for)

I did not even use a fuse...the Zumo uses very little juice, and as it has it's own off/on switch, I like being able to use it when the bike is not running...hence the direct wiring.

KM

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Hello Johnotto. There is a hot and a ground wire behind the headlight unit. I do not know the colors of them as for witch one is hot, a volt meter can do that for you. Then with two male connectors you can plug in and run wires up to the handlebars, there you can have a quick connection on the bars, when you need to use the GPS unit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, how did I not think to connect it straight to the battery?! I'll probably end up doing that, assuming the wire is long enough.

Thanks for the tips. :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I would recommend going to one of the aux leads instead of straight to the battery. The aux leads will be fused. There is another aux lead (pos and ground) near the battery box behind the right hand side cover. Just get 2 male spade crimp-on connecters and you'll be set. They are yellow/black and white/blue. If you run straight to the battery I recommend using an in-line fuse and place the fuse as near the battery as you can.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I should have mentioned that the wiring has an inline fuse already. Thanks for the concern, though.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I think with any electronic equipment, it's a really good idea to have a fuse.
One little spike in the power supply and .... Pffffft.... there goes your toys. :doh:

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
I would recommend going to one of the aux leads instead of straight to the battery. The aux leads will be fused. There is another aux lead (pos and ground) near the battery box behind the right hand side cover. Just get 2 male spade crimp-on connecters and you'll be set. They are yellow/black and white/blue. If you run straight to the battery I recommend using an in-line fuse and place the fuse as near the battery as you can.
The Zumo has it's own inline fuse...there is one it the "direct wire" cable, and there is one in the accessory plug (the ciggerette socket plug thing)

There is no reason to add more fuses. The unit uses at max, 15w @ 13.8 volts. So the 10 amp fuse in the accessory leads would be kinda useless anyway.

KM

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I agree with both Hyper and KM as far as protecting the electronic equipment from spikes. I was more concerned with a direct short on the line (between the battery and any fuse) causing the wire to heat up and starting a fire or melting into any other wire it might be bundled with. If they have in-line fuses already then you should be good to go! :)

Having the in-line fuse as close to the battery as possible simply minimizes the exposure of the unfused wire.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
...I did not even use a fuse...
:confused:

The Zumo has it's own inline fuse...
:smiley_th

So, you did use a fuse, albeit the stock one for the Zumo, but never the less, you used a fuse.

I just didn't want anyone to think just because something doesn't use much power that it doesn't need to be fuse.
And if someone doesn't have the Zumo, they wouldn't know it had it's own.

Wow, Even if you don't have a garmin zumo, the site is prety slick for mapped routes.
But their satellite maps are a little outdated, but it is nice.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Yes, sorry, I should have said "I did not add a fuse" ..

When I did write that I was not sure if the Garnin in fact had a fuse in it's cable, so I looked up the instructions in my manual and saw that it does in have a fuse (a 2 amp one) in both the included power cables. Hence my next post mentioning this.

Most small electronic things, (Ipods, cell phones, MP3 players, etc..) commonly use DC adaptors to power them, and in most cases these are not fused either. The general reason here is the wiring in these devices is on the tiny side, and if something were to short out while running it on a bikes 12 volt system, the offending circuit would likely burn out before a standard bike fuse...meaning the tiny circuit in effect becomes it's own fuse. This means of course that if something goes wrong, the device usualy becomes toast and it is time to buy a new one. By the time a normal fuse would blow, the damage is already done.
But yes, it is always a good idea to have at least an inline fuse when hooking any electrical thing up to your bike..(or car)

Most electronics like this are not likely to fry , (unless something really bad happens to them) but some can get wasted quickly from large voltage spikes, or changes in current flow. More sophisticated electronics usualy have some type of internal protection for this stuff. I had assumed this to be true of my Zumo...but then,thats why they give you manuals....lol

KM

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
:
:But their satellite maps are a little outdated, but it is nice.

Yes, I zoomed in on my house and it shows my old car in the driveway, and the pear trees in back look like we just planted them (They are 25 feet tall now)

KM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts