Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happened several time and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it happens except, I'm above 3.5k rpm. I have symptoms are:

Tac drops to zero
I think all electric is gone but in the panic I didn't check any lights. I have wait no, no maybe the red light on the dash was lit.

So, I turn off and on the start switch, but like a dolt hit the starter, and which did nothing, and then let out the clutch to jump start at fifty mph which worked fine. I have bike runs great other than this though the vibration may be too high but have nothing to compare with.

I did own a 1973 Honda 350 four that would get your girlfriend off it vibrated so much. I am any help appreciated.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
This has happened several time and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to when it happens except, I'm above 3.5k rpm. I have symptoms are:

Tac drops to zero
I think all electric is gone but in the panic I didn't check any lights. I have wait no, no maybe the red light on the dash was lit.

So, I turn off and on the start switch, but like a dolt hit the starter, and which did nothing, and then let out the clutch to jump start at fifty mph which worked fine. I have bike runs great other than this though the vibration may be too high but have nothing to compare with.

I did own a 1973 Honda 350 four that would get your girlfriend off it vibrated so much. I am any help appreciated.

You mention vibration.... DO NOT IGNORE !
If you have noticeable (unusual) vibration....I believe your Balance Dampeners are ready to let loose.
Mine (now repaired) went out @ 13K miles. This was the result: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23550

Also, member jgerrard has the same problem as I had. This is his progress: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31369&highlight=dampers

Read over these two threads.

obtw: Complete lost of spark is likely caused by the ignition switch. Search the Threads on "Cleaning Ignition Switch Contacts".

hope this helps
:smiley_th

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I'm assuming when we are talking about the ignition switch we're talking about the run stop switch and not some sort of distributor rotor as on a car. Right? As for the dampener, and I don't thing it's that since you'd feel that at all speeds. I have this is more like a vibration from a smaller bike. But I have no idea what vibration on these bikes is supposed to feel like.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Now I'm assuming when we are talking about the ignition switch we're talking about the run stop switch and not some sort of distributor rotor as on a car. Right? As for the dampener, and I don't thing it's that since you'd feel that at all speeds. I have this is more like a vibration from a smaller bike. But I have no idea what vibration on these bikes is supposed to feel like.

It could possibly be the run stop switch as well.
Some owners have had similar issues being the Ignition "Key" Switch.

:smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I suspect the ignition switch contacts... I had a 'similar' situation on mine one day... while riding, the tach went to zero, and I lost some of the other electrical, but the engine kept running.. turns out I didnt have the ignition switch all the way to the 'on' position, and some vibration caused the affected circuits to not get power

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bike turned off again. It just turns off. No warning no nothing. Ive been able to jump start it once. This time i had to pull over and stop. Then it fired right up. I can count on this bike for work unless i figure this out. So just giving the bike about 15 to 20 seconds to make up its mind seems to be all it needs.

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
A total electrical stop could be several things but I'd suggest looking at the easy things 1st. The master kill switch, all major gound points, the ignition (key) switch. There are many more potentials but go for the easy stuff 1st.

As far as checking for excessive engine vibration I've heard a simple rule which makes sense. With the bike in neutral on it's center stand and running rev it very slowly up to 4000 rpm and ease it back down. If the bike slides around on the center stand you may have an issue with your balancers. Can't say this is a 100% positive test but between that and chunks of black rubber in your oil screen you should get a good idea of the condition of your balancers.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doing my ears this weekend and will check the switch connection and do the balancer trick. Going to check the grounfs as well since i didnt put in the battery.

I will say that the vibration is better since moving air mix screws to two and a half turns out. Oh and zero backfires an sounds totslly different. Smooth and rpms are way better too.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here's the update. I cleaned the battery posts and grounds and removed a quick connect plug that came with my. Charger. Not a single shut off today. Also cut off my ears and had time for a short drive. Never got past fourth but definitely better torque with the kn filters. Knew there would be because used them on my jeep. Guess if it ever stops raining here in the pacific south east (carolinas) ill give it a longer test run.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts