Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I didn't see anything related to my specific issue on the forum that jumped out at me.. Got my new starter solenoid installed the other day and cleaned up all the connectors on the bike and it ran great for a couple weeks. This weekend i was riding just fine, stopped somewhere and the battery seemed more drained than usual. Started up ok, rode a bit and stopped again. This time it was so drained, I had to bump start it. I got about 10 miles and it just died completely. I tried bump starting again and it wouldnt start. i let it sit for a few then tried the starter button. It cranked and kept cranking even after I let go of the button. I took the key out and flipped the kill switch and it still tried cranking until the battery was 100% dead. I had no tools to disconnect the battery unfortunately.

The only electrical I haven't inspected is inside the dash cluster. Ignition and light box.. I've heard they can cause gremlins. Does this jump out to anyone as something they've heard of specifically? I plan to open up the dash box and look at the puck that I've heard so much about. Some help would be appreciated. thanks again guys!!

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Hey guys,

I didn't see anything related to my specific issue on the forum that jumped out at me.. Got my new starter solenoid installed the other day and cleaned up all the connectors on the bike and it ran great for a couple weeks. This weekend i was riding just fine, stopped somewhere and the battery seemed more drained than usual. Started up ok, rode a bit and stopped again. This time it was so drained, I had to bump start it. I got about 10 miles and it just died completely. I tried bump starting again and it wouldnt start. i let it sit for a few then tried the starter button. It cranked and kept cranking even after I let go of the button. I took the key out and flipped the kill switch and it still tried cranking until the battery was 100% dead. I had no tools to disconnect the battery unfortunately.

The only electrical I haven't inspected is inside the dash cluster. Ignition and light box.. I've heard they can cause gremlins. Does this jump out to anyone as something they've heard of specifically? I plan to open up the dash box and look at the puck that I've heard so much about. Some help would be appreciated. thanks again guys!!
I believe a weak battery may have caused this issue.
...tho wait for others to speak their thoughts.

Are you sure your battery is charging properly ?

Suggest you add a Volt Meter on your bike.

:smiley_th

·
1986 VN750
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe a weak battery may have caused this issue.
...tho wait for others to speak their thoughts.

Are you sure your battery is charging properly ?

Suggest you add a Volt Meter on your bike.

:smiley_th
Battery is brand new, tested good at a shop a few weeks ago and I've tested it after riding several times over the last few weeks and it's ALWAYS had the correct charge. A weak battery would cause the starter to crank by itself??? It sounds like a short or a ground somewhere to me, just hoping someone would have had this happen before so I know where to look. Even if the battery was weak I'd still be able to bump it and keep her running I'd imagine..

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
It cranked and kept cranking even after I let go of the button. I took the key out and flipped the kill switch and it still tried cranking until the battery was 100% dead.
Not good news.Leave the bike as is, key off, neutral, etc. Disconnect the neg bat terminal. Take your VOM and check for continuity between the signal wire on the solenoid (R/Y ?) and the pos terminal. If no continuity, that solenoid is probably bad. If their is continuity with the key off their is another problem.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts