Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just picked up a powder coater for five bucks at a yard sale, and works great! I want to know if anyone out there knows a safe way to coat one of our gas tanks. And if the powder will stick to bondo. I'm really looking forward to coating alot of parts. I'm not a good painter, so I wanted to do the fenders and tank. Any help would be much appriciated. I don't want to get blown up.lol!

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Powder coating requires baking the media after it's been sprayed.

DT

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I already have an oven just for curing. I just know how to get all the fumes out of the removed, empty tank. The gun works with static. And thats a no, no! I know people weld on gas tanks all the time. So there has to be a way to do it. Some have suggested filling it with water to displace the fumes. But water would make it explode at 400 deg f. when I cured it. I guess I could drain it after I powder it, if i'm very carefull. Just don't know.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
To prepare my tank for welding, I drained all the gas I could (didn't remove the cap or petcock), soaked up the rest with a rag on a stick, and left it in the hot sun with the cap open for several days (took it inside at night). When I couldn't detect a strong odor of gas any more, it was ready. Some folks have sped up the process by having a hair dryer blow into the tank. Not sure I'd want a spark generating electric motor that close to the fumes coming out of the tank!

·
'85 Bobber
98 Posts
At one time I was thinking about getting my tank powder coated. The company rep and I talked about fixing the dents and he stated that whatever I used "bondo" wise I had to make sure it was rated for high heat. That should go without saying since you are baking the part at 400 degrees. Hope this helps a little.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts