Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going for a blacked out theme on my VN700. I want to do the exhaust system in black.
What would hold up better to the heat, Powder coating, or hi temp Exhaust paint?
I have used hi temp paint on bikes exhaust headers before, and have had good results.
I haven't used hi temp paint on chrome pipes tho. I'm thinking I would have to sand the chrome to scuff it up, and then paint it.
Any ideas or suggestions??
I don't want to buy an aftermarket system, just stick with the stock pipes for now. I want to paint the pipes in a flat or semi gloss if it's available, and go with gloss on the heat shields as they won't get as hot as the pipes.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
I am going for a blacked out theme on my VN700. I want to do the exhaust system in black.
What would hold up better to the heat, Powder coating, or hi temp Exhaust paint?
I have used hi temp paint on bikes exhaust headers before, and have had good results.
I haven't used hi temp paint on chrome pipes tho. I'm thinking I would have to sand the chrome to scuff it up, and then paint it.
Any ideas or suggestions??
I don't want to buy an aftermarket system, just stick with the stock pipes for now. I want to paint the pipes in a flat or semi gloss if it's available, and go with gloss on the heat shields as they won't get as hot as the pipes.
I have had pretty good luck with Krylon BBQ and stove paint,I believe you probably need to scuff the chrome first though,It does come in a flat and semi gloss finish ,your choice.

I painted the engine on my 750 with it and it is good to very high temps since it is made for wood and coal burners.I really don't have any experience with powder coat on exhaust ,but there is something called Jet Hot coating I have seen on headers.

http://www.jet-hot.com/colorchart.html

·
On His Lady Vulcan
1,647 Posts
Powder coat is resistant to only 400 degrees. Your pipes get hotter than that, ceramic coating is up to 2000 degrees and the way to go if you desire a set of good looking pipes for years to come without having to do touch up work like you would with high temp paints.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts