Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to fault check the mod? I've been under the assumption that it doesn't matter the orientation of the three yellow wires, and otherwise I followed the stickies and the tutorials, but I've having a few issues starting back out. It idles just fine, holds a solid 12.8v and rises with the rpm, but once I got it into gear and out of the driveway, it starts bucking and the was flashing as if it was losing power intermittently, and dies at the end of the street (luckily at the top of a hill). I haven't tried to start it back up, and its got a 1can/gallon mix of seafoam in it because its been out of commission due to the stator for a while, but otherwise im not sure what could be going on. The engine doesnt seem to be making any weird noises otherwise, and im getting a bit of backfiring on revs but i assume thats seafoam and dust. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
I take it you've retested your stator and R/R with a voltage meter, to make sure they're both working 100% ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I take it you've retested your stator and R/R with a voltage meter, to make sure they're both working 100% ?
I'll test the stator again now that it's on the bike, but I thought the only way to test the R/R is to get a new one? Also the peacock gasket is leaking, but i would think that would feel more like a poogs than the shuddering buck that it was doing

·
2,520 Posts
It idles just fine, holds a solid 12.8v and rises with the rpm, but once I got it into gear and out of the driveway, it starts bucking and the was flashing as if it was losing power intermittently, and dies at the end of the street .
Check your grounds and battery cables to make sure they're tight. Make sure your stator wires are plugged in tight also. Just sounds like a loose wire somewhere. Did you put dielectric grease on your wire connections.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It idles just fine, holds a solid 12.8v and rises with the rpm, but once... .
Check your grounds and battery cables to make sure they're tight. Make sure your stator wires are plugged in tight also. Just sounds like a loose wire somewhere. Did you put dielectric grease on your wire connections.
Yeah, just went back with electronics cleaner and dielectric grease on the connections and battery terminals, and it did better, if only marginally. If found that it really started freaking out when I put the side stand down but I couldn't find anything that it could be pinching. Also noticed I was getting over 14v while I was trying to make the block, made it almost half way. Right exhaust is getting hotter, faster, and the left seems particularly weak.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would the two wire mod cut a lot of potential problems or add to my confusion? I had planned on doing it eventually anyway

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
Would the two wire mod cut a lot of potential problems or add to my confusion? I had planned on doing it eventually anyway
if you have an electrical problem before the two wire you will still have an electrical problem after

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so short of rewiring the whole system to update it, is there anywhere is should be poking that multimeter to help me whittle down variables? spark plugs have good sparks at least from the leads, and tomorrow I'll disconnect the extra lights and biz (2 led strips and an led voltmeter, aftermarket tail lights) from the battery, and see if i can get any change. honestly the wiring probably needs to be redone, i feel like 28 years is all i can expect wiring to last, but idk. i only know of two previous owners and the last one kept it on his porch, but it ran fine until the stator went. most of the wiring is bunched and taped/ziptied

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it also seemed to help to have my high beams on, but you know, that correlation v causation thing.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
if you have an electrical problem before the two wire you will still have an electrical problem after

:smile2: Actually, no. By definition the Two-Wire Mod is a wiring mod, so is meant to cure certain electrical problems.

Among them, bypasses a faulty start relay in the Junction Box, and can stabilize and raise charging volts where a fault exists. Just where that fault is, we don't yet know, but it's most likely another fault in the Junction Box since the mod simply removes the JB from that circuit..

The Two-Wire mod removes the start circuit and one branching leg of an Ignitor box circuit from the Junction Box.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
:smile2: Actually, no. By definition the Two-Wire Mod is a wiring mod, so is meant to cure certain electrical problems.

Among them, bypasses a faulty start relay in the Junction Box, and can stabilize and raise charging volts where a fault exists. Just where that fault is, we don't yet know, but it's most likely another fault in the Junction Box since the mod simply removes the JB from that circuit..

The Two-Wire mod removes the start circuit and one branching leg of an Ignitor box circuit from the Junction Box.
but will it make a bad ground go away?

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
but will it make a bad ground go away?

Of course not, it doesn't involve grounds, so no. I didn't see grounds mentioned in the post I quoted, sorry.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
this was what I was pertaining to.I suck with explanations on the internet

·
Registered
96 Posts
so what about this ( http://www.vn750.com/forum/19-electrical/90426-how-truly-fix-vulcans-electrical-problems.html ) looks like a good way to at least eliminate old/faulty wiring from being the cause? or am i overestimating the depth of mcinturf's mod/rewire?
A simple explanation of my modification is that it is a combination of the 2 wire and blue wire mod, as well as using a universal relay to drive the fan (and coils if desired). I have replaced the relays on my junction box board before, but there is too much corrosion to use it anymore.

If you have trouble with corrosion in the connectors on your harness, get some concentrated brass cleaner and dilute it in a small bottle, then insert the connector for 15-20 min. Spray the cleaner off and you should be good to go. You'd be surprised how well it can work.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
The 12.8v was really just a fully charged battery, with no charging volts at all. The 14v you got later is pretty good.

"..freaking out with the stand down.." - Anytime the clutch is released in gear with the stand down, the safety switch cuts the ignition. If acting up in neutral, could be a wiring problem. The Two-Wire mod does happen to eliminate operation of the nanny switches.

The cold cylinder is most likely a dirty carb with clogged jets. May be the cause of the bucking, if it wasn't the sidestand switch. The petcock leak doesn't help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its been rainy and miserable the last week, so I'll have to report back once i clean up the connectors and the carb, and disconnect the accessories and can give it a test run. great tips guys, thanks a lot.

Spockster
Senior Member:
"..freaking out with the stand down.." - Anytime the clutch is released in gear with the stand down, the safety switch cuts the ignition.
Definitely still in neutral, by freaking out i mean the lights flashing/rpms dropping, not just an abrupt shut off.

Wish I had tackled this already, tranny just went out in the cager. -___-

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Unless the LED acc. are hooked up wrong some way, I doubt they'll cause any problems.

Definitely check grounds.

Check/wiggle test/clean connectors at the ign coils and behind the left neck cover/under tank.

Wiggle test the ign switch with the key on. Also the wiring on the switch.

If that wasn't enough fun, wiggle test wires on the JB plugs as it is running. Those spades on the JB loosen up and turn things off.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im pretty sure i found the culprit. Got an new petcock and SSSS (nice acronym) on the way, and we'll see how she does by the end of next week. may do a bypass in the meantime, just for troubleshooting purposes i guess. We'll see if the rain stops tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
Yikes, it's busted! Good catch. It's probably full of sand, water, and oil too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts