Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it’s just about 3 years I have the bike and I think the POOGS finally crept up. This past Friday I took a short ride into Jersey to go get some fishing goods with a gift card my wife and daughter got me for my recent bday. The ride is only 10 miles but all highway. The ride there was fine, I parked the bike in the lot, it was about 96 degrees and I left it there for about a half hour while I was in the store. When I left, I got back on rt 55 and merged into traffic I got about a mile down the road and was up to 60-70mph and realized all of a sudden the only thing I heard was the wind noise. It just cut out so I coasted to the shoulder. Remembering the threads I’ve read I popped open the gas tank and hung out a few minutes. I got it started back up and got going. Of course because I wanted to get back quick good ole Murphy’s law showed up and I hit traffic on the way back. The bike felt like if I let it go all the way down to idle it would die again. Having no where to pull over I just kept revving it until I got home. I immediately went to a gas station and filled it back up and it’s been behaving ever since. So does this have the signature of the classic POOGS? I was reading another thread and it said it’s a good idea to check the tank vent so is that the hole between the two screws on the base of the tank cap? I was going to give it a shot of carb cleaner but wanted to be sure. Any other preventative tips welcome

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
Vent is under the cap and also at the rear of the tank.

Sounds like poogs except for the few minute wait. If it was poogs it should start after you open the cap. The wait time leaves the door open for it to be an ignition failure. However, you did say it's been fine since. Poogs may show up when the fuel level drops down again.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As soon as it died on me I shifted down in to neutral and the oil light was on because it was stalled. Everything looked normal warning light wise. I waited a few minutes because that’s what I read in another thread. Couldn’t tell you if it would’ve started quicker because I didn’t try immediately. I was more concerned with where I was stopping at first. There’s a thin shoulder on that ramp and your choices are being eaten alive by ticks or be flattened by semis lol,

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
As soon as it died on me I shifted down in to neutral and the oil light was on because it was stalled. Everything looked normal warning light wise. I waited a few minutes because that’s what I read in another thread. Couldn’t tell you if it would’ve started quicker because I didn’t try immediately. I was more concerned with where I was stopping at first. There’s a thin shoulder on that ramp and your choices are being eaten alive by ticks or be flattened by semis lol,
Definitely a good idea to be out of the way.

POOGS should reset itself as soon as you open the cap. Granted, it will take some crank time to get fuel back to the carbs again.

If it was POOGS, you'll probably see it again when the fuel level gets to about the same level. The weight of the fuel will no longer overcome the vacuum built up by the clogged vent.

At least you know the switch didn't lose power.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’m going to try and see if there’s any clogs in the vent. I usually don’t let the tank get too low, this particular time I planned to fill up when I got back because I wanted to beat the weekend shore traffic and possible T-storms, I’d like to avoid dealing with this if possible.

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
While you're checking, make sure the vac hose on the petcock is staying dry. Don't think I've ever had POOGS, but I've had a couple unexplained stalls and bogs. Closest I've found and had to fix has been the leaky petcock diaphragm.

We need an acronym for that, kind of a pain to keep typing all about the diaphragm. How about WTFHTMO syndrome, or DWMG. Mmm, too obscure.

WTF Happened To My Oil
Dude Where's My Gas

·
Registered
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
159 Posts
While you're checking, make sure the vac hose on the petcock is staying dry. Don't think I've ever had POOGS, but I've had a couple unexplained stalls and bogs. Closest I've found and had to fix has been the leaky petcock diaphragm.

We need an acronym for that, kind of a pain to keep typing all about the diaphragm. How about WTFHTMO syndrome, or DWMG. Mmm, too obscure.

WTF Happened To My Oil
Dude Where's My Gas
I had major issues with my gas cap, and tested everything and induced POOGS so I can tell you a few bits.

POOGS happens when the Vapor Out line is plugged (not open to atmospheric pressure). It runs up through gas cap so blow through the rubber hose and make sure it is clear.

Font Slope Line Parallel Auto part

To test I ran the Vapor Out and Fuel Return lines from the tank to these catch bottles.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design

It caused POOGS because the Vapor Out line was in an airtight bottle, no way to vent to atmosphere.
Solution: Drill a hole in the top of its catch bottle.

If you fill gas tank into filler neck, gas will run the wrong way down the Fuel Return line and get into the Vapor Canister. Very easy to do, I know because my second catch bottle from Fuel Return often collects gas. Not good. I’m not sure the Separator Pump can handle that.

So I pulled out the Canister and checked there was no liquid gas inside, but if gas did get in I think it compromises its functionality thereafter.

So if the Separator Pump is not working, allowing the Vapor line to be open to atmosphere, POOGS can happen.

Testing the separator pump:
  • Disconnect the Vapor Out hose from the separator, and inject about 20 ml of gasoline into the separator through the hose fitting.
  • Run a hose from the Fuel Return fitting on the Separator and hold the open end up level with the gas tank filler opening.
  • Start the engine, and let it idle.
*If the gasoline in the Separator comes out of the Fuel Return hose, the separator works well. If it does not, replace the separator with a new one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts