Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I found a 2001 vn750 about 120 miles from me. Asking $2,800. She (girl owner, her 4th bike) agreed to let it go for $2,500. She's put about 2,000 miles on it, and had the dealer put new tires on it. Do you think the dealer lubed the splines? the bike has 11,200 miles on it. She is selling because herself and her husband want to sell their bikes, and buy one big touring bike. also, the side covers do not have the "vulcan 750" decal on them, can i order that? i wonder why they're gone. I'll try and post a pic

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
No the dealer did not lube the splines. And as for the decals, I removed mine as part of my customization.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
also, the side covers do not have the "vulcan 750" decal on them, can i order that? i wonder why they're gone.
Well they do have a habit of loosening up so maybe they were taken off for that reason, then some folks like them smoothe without the "Vulcan 750", and may have taken them off for that reason...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, well then i wonder about the splines...... it all goes to the owner before her.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
If the bike has 11,000 miles (or so) on it, the splines are probably still ok, even if they are (still) bone dry.

Personally, I would not worry about the splines being gone unless the bike has 15,000 miles on it--or more.

In any case, you'll usually have to inspect the splines yourself after you buy a used bike. Very few owners will be able to substantiate that the splines are ok, before you buy.

With spring time is just around the corner, it is still very much (and will continue to be) a buyer's market in the motorcycle world here.

Even though gasoline prices have shot well past $3/gal and will probably climb higher before they come back down, most people will still want to drive (rather than ride) when they need to commute to work, get groceries, etc. I think this is crazy, but nonetheless true.

So...most people who shop for bikes will still be bikers, and not really anyone else.

The real point I'm trying to make here now is that if you have real doubts about a bike, then forget about it and keep looking. There are too many remaining VN750s out there to settle for one that you don't feel good about.

With all that said, you can usually tell if a bike has been well treated (or not) buy giving it a good visual inspection. A bike (as opposed to a car) simply can't hide good care (or the lack thereof).

Sometimes, you need to look closer, though. I once sized up a used Honda Shadow VT1100. I walked away from the deal, because...upon closer inspection....there was rust on the inner frame where the battery box had leaked battery fluid/acid. The damage was irreversible, and would only get worse with time. A more casual observer would have missed this serious problem, I think.

Other threads exist on this forum that explain what to look for with a used VN750. Use the "search" function shown above, find them, and read them as your schedule permits.

Then....feel free to ask questions as needed.

Good luck!....:beerchug:

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. She has stated it has been garage kept for thw whole 2 years she has had it, and the PO, (2nd overal) also never left it out. you know, girls are not known for knowing alot about bikes, or even cars, some do, but, what im saying is.... girls have an instinct.... lol and i could tell on the phone that she knows this bike has been well cared for... how does $2,500 sound? good price if the bike is 99% ready to go?

·
Banned
431 Posts
IMHO, 2500 is too much, I would be at or under 2000 for that year/mileage

·
Registered
77 Posts
Just a quick message to say I paid $2400 (only 1215 miles on the clock) for my 2004 in November. I know prices go up and weather gets better and I manged to be in the market at the right time. However, I agree with the others, $2500 sounds a bit on the high side.

Thanks. She has stated it has been garage kept for thw whole 2 years she has had it, and the PO, (2nd overal) also never left it out. you know, girls are not known for knowing alot about bikes, or even cars, some do, but, what im saying is.... girls have an instinct.... lol and i could tell on the phone that she knows this bike has been well cared for... how does $2,500 sound? good price if the bike is 99% ready to go?

·
2,520 Posts
A few things I would consider. Does it have a luggage rack, windshield, saddle bags? The new tires are a plus for you. That saves you around $200 to replace them. It might be a little high, but it's worth what you're willing to pay for it. If it is clean and doesn't need anything, then I'd consider it a good deal. You won't find them too cheap once summer hits. I paid $2100 for my 94 but it didn't have a scratch on it.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
431 Posts
No, I'd say 2500 is out of the ballpark, but that's just me. It would be rare to find a ten year old bike in truly excellent condition... But like shark said, it's worth what you will pay for it, not me!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah, i guess that those values, are of a dealer asking price....so it would be a little bit more, but at this point. I am dying to have a vn750, and if this one i look at this Sunday is CLEAN, and needs no money, i tihnk $2,500 is alright for me.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Aim lower anyway. If there is absolutely zero chance the owner will go lower, then get it at 2500 if you're 100% happy with it.

I had a great deal on my bike... I was told the guy wanted something like $2000 or $1500 (don't remember exactly) so I told him I wanted to see the bike... he rode it here, I took a look and I liked it, but I said I wasn't sure... said I'd call later and see what's up... he said he really needed to sell it soon, so he'd take $1000...

I wait a few days and call him and ask if he still has it... he does. I say "What's the absolute lowest price you'd give me?" He says "If you buy it before this weekend ends, it's yours for 800" I said "ok, let me see what I can do".

I called him Sunday around noon and I said "I got $700 in my hand right now, want to sell the bike?" he said yes and he brought it over to my house lol.

I did have $1300 at that time, but I think I made out alright on that deal :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont want to rip anyone off either.... thats not right. however, they were asking $2,800 because of the supposed "excellent condition" they say it is in. they had the dealer do a once over on it when the tires were put on, to see if it needed anything, and they said it was 100% solid, no issues needing to be fixed. so... im lucky i already talked them down to $2,500. but then again... do i pay $2,500 now.... or wait a month, or however long for something cheaper? idk.... im dyinggggg to have my OWN vn750.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Used vn750 bike check from verses:
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1191

Contact the seller again and find out if she has a workorder with a check sheet of all the items the dealer checked. It probably won`t tell you if the rear splines were lubed, or what they were lubed with, but it is worth a try. If you get the bike, get all the maintenance records you can too.

Contact the dealer shop and ask what they use to lube the splines. The answers you get should enable you to determine if the right ones were done, and if the right lube was used. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It's not about ripping people off... if they're willing to go that low, there's a reason.

Like in my case, the guy just wanted to buy a different bike and he was only short a small amount of cash. He cared more about getting the other bike than keeping the Vulcan. You can tell by the way it was neglected that he wasn't that much into it lol. So I don't think I ripped him off, I just found out how much he really valued it (money-wise). Plus, mine isn't in tip top shape either... I've done a bunch of work to it already and it's still a work in progress... I'm happy I can ride it though :D

If I had payed $2000 or even $1500 for this bike I would have been ripped off lol.

Greatest luck to you though, hope you make the right choice and you are happy with it!

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I picked up my Vn750 for a grand... it had just been 90% restored when I picked it up.. the guy was selling it to me for what he put into it. and I got it so low since me and a buddy did most of the work to it for him. He gave me first dibs at 1000 but to any one else it was going to be 2500. he really didn't need the cash, he just needed to get rid of a few bikes. the money he lost selling me the VN, he more than made up for on the sale of his nightrod

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Here a link for reading the tire manufacturing date code.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=11

Supposedly brand new tires just installed should have a date code no more than one year old IMHO. If they are "stale" dated and more than 5 years years old, even though they look brand new, I would be cautious about riding on them. Maybe even try to get the shop to replace them as a safety matter.

(Just FYI, I think motorcycle tracks will not lets bikes on with tires more than 2 years old.)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts