Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, when I start up, the volts vary up and down. Some times it goes up to 16 or more volts. After a few miles of riding the volt stabilize to normal. I have an r/r on order.
Do ya'll thenk that the r/r is the problem?
This problem is on the vulcan.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I noticed my volts moved around a bit, as I had a digital readout I could watch it flip from 13.7 to 14.1 then sometimes bounce to 15.3 or something. Even at a steady idle it toggle between 14.2-14.3-14.4.

It did seem to slow up as the bike warmed up, but I think what you have to keep an eye on is that it does not go below 13.0 volts often and never hits under 12.6 unless you are starting the bike.

If you see it fluctuate from 13.6 to 11.8 while riding, you might have a problem.

KM

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first time it did it it burned out my head light.
I am also going to relocate too.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Okay, when I start up, the volts vary up and down. Some times it goes up to 16 or more volts. After a few miles of riding the volt stabilize to normal.

I had this same problem and found the negative terminal on the battery was loose. If you find this, add a thin flat washer beneath the ring terminal of the battery cable as it will keep vibration from loosening the battery bolt.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I agree. Check connection from r/r to battery negative terminal. If that is good, the monitoring connection of the r/r may be at fault. I have no idea where it connects to the harness, but if you measure resistance from the r/r monitor pin to the battery positive terminal with ignition on, it should be close to 0.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Mine did that, and after ordering new R/R, I tested further and found when I connected positive side of voltmeter directly to the battery, it reads solid as a rock (12.5 and 14.5 ). Oh well, a spare R/R is not such a bad thing.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx I will check the connections. When the r/r gets here I will still do the r/r relocation.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the new r/r and now I am looking for a piece of aluminum to do the r/r relocation. I will post results.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the r/r relocated. Did not find the finned heat sink that I wanted.
The voltage runs lower than before. High 12's and it goes up when load is applied.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Looks good!

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
The r/r does not directly adjust the battery voltage, but the voltage after the ignition switch. If the ignition switch is not making good contact, the charging voltage will bounce up/down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts