Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If my Heads-Up voltmeter is to be believed, I am overcharging indicated by a Flashing Green LED. Strangely it only happens when in gear and moving. I can't duplicate it in neutral or sitting still. I'll be checking for loose connections when I get home.
Additional thoughts/suggestions?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Your Heads Up link doesn`t work for me.
What is the minimum voltage required to get the overcharge flashing green LED signal?
Is there any way to hook up a digital meter temporarily for a test ride?

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Like ohass said you need to check out the voltage with a regular meter. When I use to get a high reading it was a bad connection before I soldered all connection. I would get a high voltage reading until it was cleaned up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Same is happening to me, I drive and voltmeter shows 15.6 volts, problem is I have all the wires to R/R soldered and shrink wrapped.... so it cannot be a bad connector for sure..... any ideas guys, also noticed that with the headlight on the voltage goes down to 13.x volts.... is this normal or bad news?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Voip doc,
so you managed to find the problem? I still can`t think from where it could be as all my connectors are gone, I cut,soldered and shrink wrapped all wires and even the R/R has no connector... wires go directly in it, its an aftermarket. Voltmeter shows upto about 15.6V while moving and @ 4000 rpm, bike standing still and rev @ 4000 doesn`t go past 14.4 volts...very strange....by the way my headlight is turned off as I have connected a switch, with headlight on, idle goes from 12 to 13v .... someone thinks its a bad R/R or still some bad connection somewhere?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Voip doc,
so you managed to find the problem? I still can`t think from where it could be as all my connectors are gone, I cut,soldered and shrink wrapped all wires and even the R/R has no connector... wires go directly in it, its an aftermarket. Voltmeter shows upto about 15.6V while moving and @ 4000 rpm, bike standing still and rev @ 4000 doesn`t go past 14.4 volts...very strange....by the way my headlight is turned off as I have connected a switch, with headlight on, idle goes from 12 to 13v .... someone thinks its a bad R/R or still some bad connection somewhere?
Wish I knew more about the stator & R/R...that said, I would connect a digital meter and compare voltages. Beyond that, I would need professional help....electrically of course :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yep, I think that I am going to need professional mental help myself soon.......ahh bloody electrics, in 20 days I have a bike overland trip with a Honda buddy and he`s been cheeky all the time saying that Kawas are not up to standard. For him that`s easy to say when he`s got just a 2 year old Hornet 900 from new. But since I am a way more experienced driver I can stay with him almost all the time and can beat him in the twisties too with my dinosaur tech bike, and you have to see his face later lol. Anyway I love my bike, can`t part with it (cost me too much blood,tears,sweat,swearing and money :) and I will have to find me some time next week to tear everything apart and start checking all connections. I also ordered a Shindengen FH012AA R/R Kit from ebay so need be it, I also change my current R/R....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts