Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a newbie Q, so please bear with me. The last 3 times I've had to switch to reserve, it has been at 141 -142 miles. The most recent fill-up on reserve was at 173 miles - much more than it should have been, considering that the reserve is less than 1/2 a gallon and I have been averaging 47 MPG ( so an additional 24 miles max). At fill-up I turned the petcock back to "vertical" (pointing downwards), and expected to put in at least 3 1/2 gallons, but it took only 3 gallons. When on reserve and filling up, what position should the petcock be in - pointing downwards, pointing forwards (on reserve) or pointing back (closed)? Thank you in advance!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
If I'm filling up after switching to reserve, I try to remember to put it back to the vertical (on) postion. Although, the position of the petcock wont effect how much fuel you can put in the tank.

Did you do much of any different riding (more low speed) at the 173 mile fill up than usual?

Also, if you have a nice tail wind, you'll get better mileage.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
The position of the petcock won't affect tank capacity or gas mileage. All the reserve position on the petcock does is select a fuel pick up that is shorter than the regular fuel pick up to allow you to get the last 1/2 gallon or so out of the bottom of the tank. That's it. You could just run the entire tank in the reserve position with no problems whatsoever. (I've done just that when I forget to reposition the valve).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mileage

Hyper - no significant difference re: driving that I can recall (super slab vs. back road twisties). What threw me off was that I had to switch to reserve at the "usual" mileage (141-2), drive a total of 173 miles, yet the tank took just slightly under 3 gals. I'm going to monitor it more closely.

Niterider - you might want to try Bean X for that bad tailwind *G*

Sky - thank you - that's how I thought it worked

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Maybe you had some stupid gas thief drain his gas into your tank, instead of your gas into his?! LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do you fuel up with the bike on its' center stand or on its' sidestand? I think that the position of the handlebar with the sidestand down might also affect your fillup.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hyper - don't think I didn't consider that! If I hadn't had the key in my possession all the time, I would suspect my buddies screwin' with me *G*

James - I always fill the tank when the bike is on the center stand, to be certain that I am getting the max fill.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts