Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so I got ambitious and tore my bike apart because I was having some rough idling before and figured the carbs were due for a clean. Well I tore them apart and everything was pretty clean. Soaked them and replaced the o-rings anyway and put it all backtogether.

Also, replaced everything in the cooling system except the radiator because it was pretty rusty and the metal pipes were disintegrating.

Today I got fired her up with an engine flush 50/50 water and vinegar as someone suggested and took it for a spin. She was running great but was low on gas so I stopped and dumped in a can of seafoam and filled the tank. After that I she started running a big rough, especially at low RPMs. I had to keep revving her to keep her from stalling (never actually stalled but felt like she would if I didn't rev.) I ended up adjusting the idle so I wouldnt have to keep revving, and when it wasnt acting up the idle would come up to about 2.5k.

What could be causing such rough idling? I was thinking maybe one of several things:
-Head Gasket problem? Maybe it started leaking after the bike warmed up.
-Too much seafoam? Didn't know that was possible...
-Petcock is gummed up? I did do the POOGS maintenance while I had it apart but the venting system was very clean (nothing came out of it)
-Carb problem? I followed Clymer's exactly and everything went together great.
-Spark plug problem? Not sure why it would be this since it ran fine initially, but one of the plugs in particular is rusty and the wire doesn't seat well on the plug. Replacing all plugs and wires will probably be done tomorrow. See: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21122 for pictures of rust.

It was just really strange it ran so well at first. Like I said she had this problem sometimes before, but it didn't seem this bad...
I'm going out in about an hour to drain the vinegar and run a baking soda flush and then a water flush. Will report back if its still running rough when I restart her cool.

Thanks for any input guys.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
I would think to much seafoam! A whole can for about 3 gals !!!! I would drain that fuel out of the tank, drain carb bowls, and introduce clean fuel and see what happens.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, was still running rough during the flushes. I have to finish bleeding it tomorrow and then I'm going to dump 1/2 - 2/3 of the tank and refill with gas. Will report back, thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts