Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so I got ambitious and tore my bike apart because I was having some rough idling before and figured the carbs were due for a clean. Well I tore them apart and everything was pretty clean. Soaked them and replaced the o-rings anyway and put it all backtogether.

Also, replaced everything in the cooling system except the radiator because it was pretty rusty and the metal pipes were disintegrating.

Today I got fired her up with an engine flush 50/50 water and vinegar as someone suggested and took it for a spin. She was running great but was low on gas so I stopped and dumped in a can of seafoam and filled the tank. After that she started running a bit rough, especially at low RPMs. I had to keep revving her to keep her from stalling (never actually stalled but felt like she would if I didn't rev.) I ended up adjusting the idle so I wouldnt have to keep revving, and when it wasnt acting up the idle would come up to about 2.5k.

What could be causing such rough idling? I was thinking maybe one of several things:
-Head Gasket problem? Maybe it started leaking after the bike warmed up.
-Too much seafoam? Didn't know that was possible...
-Petcock is gummed up? I did do the POOGS maintenance while I had it apart but the venting system was very clean (nothing came out of it)
-Carb problem? I followed Clymer's exactly and everything went together great.

It was just really strange it ran so well at first. Like I said she had this problem sometimes before, but it didn't seem this bad...
I'm going out in about an hour to drain the vinegar and run a baking soda flush and then a water flush. Will report back if its still running rough when I restart her cool.

Thanks for any input guys.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
You probably picked up sediment from the tank when near empty. Sounds like your pilot jet or needle valve has dirt in it. SeaFoam might clean it out. Go easy with the SeaFoam. You are adding additional alcohol to the alcohol already in ethanol. Going over 10% will not help any engine. Use only one ounce per gallon.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, I would say sounds like too much seafoam. Happened to me when I was a bit overzealous one time adding it during winter riding. I'd turn the idle screw a little (if you really feel like it wants to stall) and then fill up the bike after 50 miles or so. See if that changes anything.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
SeaFoam did that to me once. I removed the air intake so carbs were open, drained em, then took a rubber hose and blew BACKWARDS through the drain. A spray should come out of the carb intake. Refill carb and repeat. Worked charms on mine !

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Exactly Slim...even after cleaning carbs, unless you also clean the lines and petcock, a lil critter can sneak on in (usually from the air box, why I dont like em). Some pieces are too big to get thru the lower drain, so I send em back out the way they came in. If yer running pods, its an easy/quick fix. If that works, may wanna remove filters and backblow air thru the airbox. (Ive heard that trolls can get in there and set up homes, and when bored, sweep out their houses which will go right to carb).

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Exactly Slim...even after cleaning carbs, unless you also clean the lines and petcock, a lil critter can sneak on in (usually from the air box, why I dont like em). Some pieces are too big to get thru the lower drain, so I send em back out the way they came in. If yer running pods, its an easy/quick fix. If that works, may wanna remove filters and backblow air thru the airbox. (Ive heard that trolls can get in there and set up homes, and when bored, sweep out their houses which will go right to carb).
had a mouse make a home in the airbox of my xs 400.luckily i noticed it before i started her up.easy fix on that.xs 400 has 2 airboxes and they are right under the sisecovers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts