Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
NewB to Vulcans
220 Posts
I live close to a major, busy, road intersection, I hate loud anything automotive.
My Vulcan is plenty loud enough with stock exhaust.

·
Thats 'Mr' Jr Member
249 Posts
I’ve never subscribed to the Loud Pipes thing. When I’m driving a 4 wheeler my windows are up, the AC and radio are on and I cannot hear those bikes that I see closing in my rear view mirrors until they pass me.

Now the straight pipes on a B-25 Mitchell are something else!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think overly loud pipes are obnoxious, and make all us bikers stereotyped. I live in Southern Maine, and frequent an establishment called Bentleys Saloon. On any given day, there can be 1,000 bikes or more. It is a very large Saloon, very much more so in the summertime, when the tourists overcome our town on their obnoxiously loud bikes. The cops give this place their highest priority, due to the morons who just can't pull out quietly and respectfully to the neighbors, and patrons inside. Much better in the spring and fall when the tourists go away, then local bikers just putt-putt out, and attract zero attention. Loud pipes help no one, safe and courteous riding helps everyone. I love my 86 VN750 with the stock pipes, and so does the rest of this area. On another note, if anyone is ever cruising in the Kennebunk\Kennebunkport area on their Vulcan, and want to meet for a cold one, message me, lol. Let's just leave quietly. :) visit bentleyssaloon dot com and you will see how much fun it is, if people would just ride courteously.

Reactions: Thorn

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
loud pipes are obnoxious in my opinion. also, where I live, 80 percent of the population is either deaf, blind, or both. now by deaf, I dont mean they can kinda hear, I am talking about 80 percent or more hearing loss. ya know, the kind that even hearing aids cant really help with. Its kinda funny listening to what I just said, echoed from the hearing aids. even more hilarious when they go into feedback squeal!

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
I think overly loud pipes are obnoxious, and make all us bikers stereotyped. I live in Southern Maine, and frequent an establishment called Bentleys Saloon. On any given day, there can be 1,000 bikes or more. It is a very large Saloon, very much more so in the summertime, when the tourists overcome our town on their obnoxiously loud bikes. The cops give this place their highest priority, due to the morons who just can't pull out quietly and respectfully to the neighbors, and patrons inside. Much better in the spring and fall when the tourists go away, then local bikers just putt-putt out, and attract zero attention. Loud pipes help no one, safe and courteous riding helps everyone. I love my 86 VN750 with the stock pipes, and so does the rest of this area. On another note, if anyone is ever cruising in the Kennebunk\Kennebunkport area on their Vulcan, and want to meet for a cold one, message me, lol. Let's just leave quietly. :) visit bentleyssaloon dot com and you will see how much fun it is, if people would just ride courteously.
loud pipes have saved my ass on numerous occasions. I've had many times when someone was about to pull out in front of me when I've pulled in the clutch,and revved it up a little and the driver stopped and looked at me with a surprised look on their face.now diesel pickup trucks with their stacks and black smoke are annoying

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

Reactions: minikrew

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I live close to a major, busy, road intersection, I hate loud anything automotive.
My Vulcan is plenty loud enough with stock exhaust.
^ this ^

I'm half deaf now and so is my dog.

Eff jake brakes, flowmasters, fart cans, screamin' beagles, sony xplod, woofer this n that, rollin' coal and straight stacks. Most bikes sound like crap with the pipes hacked off, my neighbor's sounds like a helicopter at full chop. I can sit on my front porch and hear crap cranking it 5 miles away, it's ridiculous. I can sit in my living room and feel the music.

I do like the Rineharts on the HD Ultra and I have heard some decent sounding VNs with various exhaust mods.

Got stock pipes on mine, but earshaved, and I have been able to get the right attention by blipping the throttle when there was no time to find the horn button. (low speed city traffic) The carbs make some extra noise. The first reaction should always be to avoid and evade, whenever possible.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
damn you outta hear my 81cb750 with her R.C. performance 4 into 1.sweet music.am tempted to take out the baffle. am getting deaf myself and need to hear when I need to shift,as the tach quit working

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
as for the stereotype, you get that the second you throw your leg over the bike

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
I know what you mean Doc, my CB750 had some 2 into 1 turnout duals. At 10,000 or more rpm, it just wailed. Think the CB350 was louder and a lot more nasty sounding, some aftermarket mufflers about 3ft long with not much in them.

I used to be the worst, everything was headers and glaspacks, the dreaded Thrush or Tiger mufflers, Basani or Hooker chambers on 2-strokes, etc. Never thought a thing about turning the Peavey up and wailing on it either.

For many years now I've been keeping the pipes quiet. Got a real screamin' case of tinnitis going and it just keeps getting worse. One night at the track it felt like a pencil got jammed in my ear, and it's been on ever since. For quite a while I always had earplugs, even mowing grass, but finally gave up, it was just too late.

I think there's a whole lot more traffic now, and a whole lot more people building for loud pipes, loud stereos, etc. A lot of the stuff has a really good sound, but people don't have any consideration about how or when they use it. I swear I could do a video tomorrow and you'd think I was at a track or an airport runway. Guess it's time to move out to the mountain top.

Saw one of the new Camaros, with a giant muffler like a steamer trunk and four outlets. Well two of those outlets are on pressure sensitive valves that bypass the baffles when you stand on it. Electric cutouts are getting popular too, I guess the old manual cutouts are all done.

When I moved here in '85, I wondered why all the neighbors were deaf. I found out.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
BTW, did anyone go take the poll? Or is that just clickbait?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
no but I take the pill,and the closest thing I take to clickbait is another kind of bait called master.and it works great.I'm almost 45 and still haven't got pregnant.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
BTW, did anyone go take the poll? Or is that just clickbait?
I looked at the results and would have to say it sure seems as if it is just "clickbait". There are only two allowable answers and they are at both extreme ends, either 100% in favor or 100% against. Also this poll was put out through several different sources starting on July 4th and so far they have about 1200 responses which seems to be a bit on the light side (IMHO) for motorcycle.com. I don't want to loose what hearing I have left at this age but have had some limited success when trying to alert a few cage drivers to my presence within my rightful lane. Maybe all bikes should come with dual air horns similar to the newer versions on dump trucks now. No matter what is used there will be cagers ignoring bikers (as they also do with eighteen wheelers) and we will be the ones considered in the wrong.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
maybe,just maybe,when kids are taught to drive,they should be taught to pay attention to ALL VEHICLES maybe,just maybe,we wouldn't have a problem

Reactions: Thorn

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,501 Posts
maybe,just maybe,when kids are taught to drive,they should be taught to pay attention to ALL VEHICLES maybe,just maybe,we wouldn't have a problem

Maybe, just maybe, before anyone is allowed to reproduce they should be taught how to be responsible for teaching their future kids some of the real things they need to know such as respect of elders, obeying the law, and a few other basics that seem to have gotten lost over the years. Too many people are concerned only about themselves and the h*** with everyone else in the world. Their driving reflects that attitude as does their behavior in stores and work. "Everyone owes me a living and I should make the highest salary possible no matter how little I do." It is getting more and more difficult to find people that accept responsibility for their own actions these days.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,197 Posts
Maybe, just maybe, before anyone is allowed to reproduce they should be taught how to be responsible for teaching their future kids some of the real things they need to know such as respect of elders, obeying the law, and a few other basics that seem to have gotten lost over the years. Too many people are concerned only about themselves and the h*** with everyone else in the world. Their driving reflects that attitude as does their behavior in stores and work. "Everyone owes me a living and I should make the highest salary possible no matter how little I do." It is getting more and more difficult to find people that accept responsibility for their own actions these days.
how true,Tom.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
Everyone here knows I hate LOUD bikes. But to clarify, "loud" is not only subjective, it's variable. So one needs to have a way of quantifying it.
That Marshal amp goes from 0 to 10. At what number is it "too loud"?

Short straight exhaust pipes with no restrictions or baffling on a large displacement bike are usually way to loud.
But there is a lot of room between that and the average "quiet" stock exhaust.

It's then really a matter of finding a decent way to measure the sound pressure.
Half deaf life long Harley riders might think their bike isn't loud, but everyone else stuck behind them might have a different view.

So yes, I think LOUD exhausts are not only annoying and bad for our image as riders, but also show a basic lack of respect to others.

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
the basic premise of riding a bike is individuality and that holds true today. i will not tell you what to wear, or how you ride ,or how loud your bike can be. plz give me the same respect .

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
I don't respect riders with obnoxiously loud bikes....
That is your choice . but i would bet you would accept help from one if you needed help:x

1 - 20 of 25 Posts