Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Do you use your RUN switch to cut off your bike?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I have ever turned my bike off with the 'run' switch. Always just use the ignition to cut the bike off. What do y'all do? ^^^Please vote above!^^^:smiley_th

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Poll is at the top of the page, above the first post.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
when i come home i use the switch then lock the bars with the key , other then that i kill the bike with the key

·
Registered
77 Posts
Being new to the motorcycle world and having gone through the MSF, I've developed the habit they teach which is "thumb, key, valve"...aka...turn the bike off with your thumb switch, turn the handles bars and the key to lock and then turn the gas valve to off.

Old habits die hard at this point for me. They hammered it into me over two days it's automatic at this point.

·
Heading to the DARKSIDE!
177 Posts
I bypassed my engine kill switch...I now use that switch as an off/on switch for my motorcycle stereo amplifier!!!!! I have had that switch being used as an engine kill screw me too many times......

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
My 1500 key is in the most un handy location,it is physically impossible to reach it unless you put the bike in neutral and use your clutch hand,which is ill advised on a grade.

when I had the 750 I very seldom used the kill button.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I only rode for 6 weeks before my accident, and haven`t been on a bike for 33 months since then. I know I used the kill switch sometimes, but do not actually remember if it was most of the time, half and half, or infrequently. I will refrain from voting in the poll as I truly do not know the accurate answer for me.

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I only rode for 6 weeks before my accident, and haven`t been on a bike for 33 months since then. I know I used the kill switch sometimes, but do not actually remember if it was most of the time, half and half, or infrequently. I will refrain from voting in the poll as I truly do not know the accurate answer for me.
C'mon Gordon, your vote should count twice!

When I got my bike the PO mentioned that he had a harder time restarting the bike when he used the run switch. I don't remember the specifics, but I think the PO thought that it flooded the engine when he used the run switch. As a result, I have the habit of only using the ignition...

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I always use the ignition switch. This turns off the headlight and any other switched electrical loads same time as the engine. I believe in minimizing electrical load that may help stator / battery life, even if only to a small degree. Park the bike with max battery charge. Perhaps this is why some have noted more difficulty starting after using the kill switch.

I also use the same practice in the cars - turn off all electrical loads before the engine and I have had good battery life in all my vehicles over the years.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
My vote here is this is in the wrong thread....It should be posted in the
"How to spot a poser" thread, because turning your bike off with the kill switch all the time tells me you don't know crap about bikes.

The kill switch is was placed there to "kill" the motor in an emergency situation.....like dropping the bike. It was first put on dirt bikes as a safety feature, but since it was a good idea, they started putting them on all bikes.

I don't want to say using the kill button to turn off your bike is "wrong"....but if you are a veteren rider, it is just poor bike etiquite.

Most fun is those that use the switch, forget to turn the key off, and come back to a dead battery......

KM

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
My vote here is this is in the wrong thread....It should be posted in the
"How to spot a poser" thread, because turning your bike off with the kill switch all the time tells me you don't know crap about bikes.

The kill switch is was placed there to "kill" the motor in an emergency situation.....like dropping the bike. It was first put on dirt bikes as a safety feature, but since it was a good idea, they started putting them on all bikes.

I don't want to say using the kill button to turn off your bike is "wrong"....but if you are a veteren rider, it is just poor bike etiquite.

Most fun is those that use the switch, forget to turn the key off, and come back to a dead battery......

KM
KM, I agree and disagree! On the 750 I always used the key because it was right there handy, but as Denny said, our 1500 has the key up under the left near the front bike frame and it is tough to get to, bike has to be in neutral to leave the clutch with your left hand, which can be very inconvenient if you're on an incline. So I've gotten into the habit of killing the bike with the kill switch. And honestly, it makes life much easier to just stop the bike in 1st gear and kill it. It ain't going to roll on you. Yeah, you gotta remember to turn off the key and remove it, but you have to do that anyway, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn. One dead battery and you get it! Wasn't hard to make a habit out the kill switch after trying to start the bike several times at first with the switch in the OFF position.
And they teach it in the MSF class so it has to be right! ;)

·
Banned
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
KM
KM you're gonna skew the poll! Haha, good thing its anonymous!

Everyone is entitled to their own way of turning off their bike :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Originally Posted by Knifemaker
KM
There you go ,Todays "Hint from Heloise" ;)

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
I prefer using the Kill switch because it lets me keep both hands on the bars in full control of the bike until the engine stops. After that, switch off ignition, pull the key and go.

·
Super Moderator
11,970 Posts
There are bikes now that due to the way they are made,it is safer to use the kill switch than the key. But, this is only because the new engineers designing bikes were not clued in...or they simply are not bikers. Most of the first designers are liked dead or retired...;)

And just because the MSF says it is ok....does not mean it is. I think they also say not to ride with your finger over the front brake lever....and I know I am here today because I did not follow that suggestion.

KM

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
There are bikes now that due to the way they are made,it is safer to use the kill switch than the key. But, this is only because the new engineers designing bikes were not clued in...or they simply are not bikers. Most of the first designers are liked dead or retired...;)

And just because the MSF says it is ok....does not mean it is. I think they also say not to ride with your finger over the front brake lever....and I know I am here today because I did not follow that suggestion.

KM
I'm with you on this one,the keyswitch on my bike is the most annoying placement I have ever seen,I have actually thought "who was the idiot that put that there"

As for the dirtbikes my early ones didn't even have a key switch,the enduro style bikes did,which are now called dualsports in case you younger guys haven't heard of an enduro.

·
Registered
24 Posts
At the risk of changing the point of this thread, assuming a 750 where the kill is conveniently placed and assuming you pull the key soon after stopping the bike, what benefit does one method have over the other beyond a small amount of amperage saved?

1 - 20 of 136 Posts