Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow riders, was going to replace spark plugs and battery. What do you think is the best brand for both? All input much appreciated! Thank you ahead of time :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Well pick the plug with the smaller size. Otherwise you will be spending big bucks trying to find a plug wrench that will fit into the hole. very special type. I had to take the bike to the dealer to have them put the smaller plugs in, cost me plenty. Seems with the Vulcan you need many special tools to do routine maintenance, will cost you big bucks to do the work yourself. And with the inherent design flaws you will be repairing everything constantly. Get ready to be putting hundreds into a old bike twice a year just for maintenance. Most will be in the special tools, and aftermarket components that Kawasaki screwed up originally. My advice is to make sure it runs well and sell it. Buy a Yamaha Virago or Honda Shadow. Your into years of headaches, and hundreds of dollars with this design

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Guess I bought a Honda that looks like a Vulcan. I have yet to spend 'hundreds twice a year' on my bike and have had it 5 years and 18000 miles. Sounds like smltowner may have bought a bike that had been well abused in it's life time. Deepwell thin wall socket from chinamart worked well on my plugs. Possibly the wrong plugs had been put in? And yes the Iridium plugs wok really well for my bike, cured the extended spin starting problem.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Yup thin walled 18mm socket.my "specialty"tools consist of a set of metric sockets and wrenches, a couple of pliers and vice grIps, a crescent wrench, metric Allen set,a few tire irons,a pipe, and a BFH.All of which I had before I bought the bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
The stock Kawi toolkit has the plugwrench...my local dealer sells stock toolkits fer $5 a pop....thats what I use....

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Yup thin walled 18mm socket.my "specialty"tools consist of a set of metric sockets and wrenches, a couple of pliers and vice grIps, a crescent wrench, metric Allen set,a few tire irons,a pipe, and a BFH.All of which I had before I bought the bike

Sears - Craftsman (K-Mart) has 18 mm Thin Wall hanging on the rack....$7.00 ? ?

EDIT: Maybe the socket cost me $8.00..... but all else is fact (at the K-mart I went to) !

:smiley_th

·
Registered
269 Posts
Now to start, you have insulted me with the innuendo that I don't know a junk bike, nor do I have the slightest idea about tools. I have BEEN RIDING FOR OVER 45 YEARS, have always done my own work. And for your information Sonny, the dealership here, only one for miles charges a minimum of $100. Just this week I have spent over $100 trying to find the right size circlip pliers, $200 in "specialty tools" So, before you go speaking out your a$$ Sonny, Know what your talking about

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
Now to start, you have insulted me with the innuendo that I don't know a junk bike, nor do I have the slightest idea about tools. I have BEEN RIDING FOR OVER 45 YEARS, have always done my own work. And for your information Sonny, the dealership here, only one for miles charges a minimum of $100. Just this week I have spent over $100 trying to find the right size circlip pliers, $200 in "specialty tools" So, before you go speaking out your a$$ Sonny, Know what your talking about
Sears - Craftsman (K-Mart) has 18 mm Thin Wall hanging on the rack....$7.00 ? ?

EDIT: Maybe the socket cost me $8.00..... but all else is fact (at the K-mart I went to) !
Did not intend to insult...only tryin' to be of assistance and helpful....Sorry.

:smiley_th

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
....smltownr....check yer PM box....I'll try to explain a few things to ya.... ;)

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Well pick the plug with the smaller size. Otherwise you will be spending big bucks trying to find a plug wrench that will fit into the hole. very special type. I had to take the bike to the dealer to have them put the smaller plugs in, cost me plenty. Seems with the Vulcan you need many special tools to do routine maintenance, will cost you big bucks to do the work yourself. And with the inherent design flaws you will be repairing everything constantly. Get ready to be putting hundreds into a old bike twice a year just for maintenance. Most will be in the special tools, and aftermarket components that Kawasaki screwed up originally. My advice is to make sure it runs well and sell it. Buy a Yamaha Virago or Honda Shadow. Your into years of headaches, and hundreds of dollars with this design
Not quite sure what expensive specialty tools you are referring to. As many said already, a deep, thin walled proper sized socket for the plugs, a few metric combination wrenches, a set of metric allen wrenches along with the normal pliers and screw drivers should get you through most all regular maintenance of this particular machine. Most will agree that there are a few design flaws but not too extreme where the bike should be totally avoided.

·
Super Moderator
11,868 Posts
There are no special tools for the Vulcan other than the clutch basket wrench, which is a "special tool" for MANY other bikes.

I don't know why you couldn't find "circlip" pliers that fit. (They are called "snap ring pliers" by the way) I have a pair with a set of different tips I've been using for awhile that only cost me $10.
I don't know what kind of spark plugs are the "small ones" as to the best of my knowledge there's only one size that fits the bike.
I bought an 18mm deep well -thin wall socket at Sears too, but the one in the tool kit works fine.

If you paid the a shop 100 bucks to change your spark plugs, well, ............can't really say anything without risking insulting you again....;)

·
2,494 Posts
If the Vulcan 750 is so terrible why do you have one listed in your signature. A 1993 I believe. I don't think anyone was originally questioning your knowledge but after this last posting I will admit I am confused since you stated you have been riding for over forty-five years and have always done your own work. I would think that you had a good supply of tools from all that time and experience and if so why would you pay a "stealership" a hundred buck an hour to install plugs? That does not sound like someone that has been doing all his own work for so long of a time. I do not mean any disrespect but it all seems a bit confusing not to have those tools except maybe the special socket which is readily available at Walmart, Kmart, Sears, etc. at less than ten dollars.

·
2,494 Posts
....smltownr....check yer PM box....I'll try to explain a few things to ya.... ;)
Bro, seems like you have been having to do a lot of explaining of late. It isn't just the "youngins" either.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
I was just tellin ya what I work on my bike with.and as for them being unreliable, in 3 years all I did was change the clutch,made mccts, tires, changed oil, and put in an agm battery.so I'm not seeing it.and I rode it daily

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
Oh yeah and I replaced the regulator/rectifier.but that failed due to operator error.I lowered the bike and the swingarm was smacking into it.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...Smalltowner's a decent guy....not like some of the trolls we've had lately....he's older folk too....

He and I have PMed in the past....cut im a lil slack brothers, ok ?....Im usually a good judge of character....he's cool....

His recent post....well....been a few posts similar lately....myself included....

Its been a long ass winter guys...we're all ornery and antsy....keep that in mind please, when replying to someone that may have posted out of character.....couldda been a bad moon cycle too....

Thanks guys....soon...we'll al be ridin soon....and we can all look at these old posts and say "WTF was I thinking ???".....RIGHT ?????......*looks over glasses"....

....now lets all get out and try to get some "wind therapy"....

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,093 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts