Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to take a moment and thank my professors here at "Vulcan University"....without this forum and your expertise I wouldn't have had the balsac to get down and dirty with my bike...Tnx to all!!!!

I read an older posting by the "Wolfman...Wolfie; where if I understood the post he recommended removing the resistor in the plug wire: During a check of the stock coils, one of the coils was dead on the secondary circuit. I removed the wire and checked the coil and it was right on spec; the wire however was another matter...I removed the resistor and it was dead..the wire was good.

Not sure if this is a weak area or not but might be worth keeping in mind if you're broken down on the side of the road with no spark in one cylinder. Credit to Wolfie...remove the brass screw in the wire socket with a small flat screwdriver...remove the spring and the resistor: Replace with screw stock cut to size; in an emergency on the side of the road you can wrap the resistor with tin foil:

Aside from Professor Wolf has anyone else removed the resistors and what was the result and why are they there in the first place...I'm inclined to think they should be removed...

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I just want to take a moment and thank my professors here at "Vulcan University"....without this forum and your expertise I wouldn't have had the balsac to get down and dirty with my bike...Tnx to all!!!!

I read an older posting by the "Wolfman...Wolfie; where if I understood the post he recommended removing the resistor in the plug wire: During a check of the stock coils, one of the coils was dead on the secondary circuit. I removed the wire and checked the coil and it was right on spec; the wire however was another matter...I removed the resistor and it was dead..the wire was good.

Not sure if this is a weak area or not but might be worth keeping in mind if you're broken down on the side of the road with no spark in one cylinder. Credit to Wolfie...remove the brass screw in the wire socket with a small flat screwdriver...remove the spring and the resistor: Replace with screw stock cut to size; in an emergency on the side of the road you can wrap the resistor with tin foil:

Aside from Professor Wolf has anyone else removed the resistors and what was the result and why are they there in the first place...I'm inclined to think they should be removed...
Best I can simply explain.....Resistors create current (milli-amps) which help/assist your electrical system....engineered/designed/installed by the factory for operational effectiveness.
Yes, your bike will run w/o that resistor.

:smiley_th

Yes,

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
the resistor:

why are they there in the first place...I'm inclined to think they should be removed...
The same reasons everything in the last 40 yrs has resistor spark plugs.

Every vehicle with electronic ignition (CDI, etc) should use some means to limit interference.

Resistor spark plugs were used OEM long before electronic ignitions. A resistor in the spark circuit acts like a low level, more durable capacitor. Stops 'bleed' voltage. Shortens and intensifies spark duration somewhat.

By all means, take them out. I am a racer and have used many sets of 'solid' wires. Never again.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
I thought the resistors were there to prevent radio interference, don't think there are resistor spark plugs available for bikes like there are for autos, but I haven't been looking for them. I don't know that interference is such a problem anymore, maybe on the AM or CB bands.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I thought the resistors were there to prevent radio interference, don't think there are resistor spark plugs available for bikes like there are for autos, but I haven't been looking for them. I don't know that interference is such a problem anymore, maybe on the AM or CB bands.
All the recommended spark plugs for the vn are resistor plugs. I have not seen a standard plug OEM for over 40 yrs.

Interference is a larger problem now, due to modern electronic ignition systems.

edit- I will post this again.
http://www.magnecor.com/magnecor1/truth.htm

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
There could be an 'r' in the plug number, I don't have it memorized, but the plugs for my cars are all 'r'.

Maybe there's a need to shield computers, but as far as radios, I rarely hear interference, even on the race tracks. I do recall when FM became popular, AM still had plenty of intermittent zing from the old points ignitions.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I rarely hear interference, even on the race tracks.
There are no solid wires on the race tracks. Not for a long time, that I know of. Even the serious blown methanol motors with their welder level, 10+ amp ignitions use EMI suppression.

edit- and for Pete's sake, twist and wrap your crank trigger sensor wires. Keep them well away from everything with intermittent/alternating current. Use tin foil. My God!

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
I wasn't seeing any R plugs at the track, maybe in stock classes where they just run what ya brung.

No EFI allowed, so no crank triggers. Maybe the stock 4cyl class has to allow EFI now just to get a decent car count, haven't looked lately.

Found some wires under my dash with foil shielding, airbag and security wiring, if I recall.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I wasn't seeing any R plugs at the track, maybe in stock classes where they just run what ya brung.

No EFI allowed, so no crank triggers. Maybe the stock 4cyl class has to allow EFI now just to get a decent car count, haven't looked lately.

Found some wires under my dash with foil shielding, airbag and security wiring, if I recall.
To keep this discussion 'on track', we need to keep RFI and EMI separate. Vulcans do not have radios. They have CDI ignitions.

Any race car that uses electronic ignition should/will need EMI suppression. MSD, ICE, Mallory, J&S, etc.

You can follow the link in post #5 and learn more than you need to know.

·
Registered
7,980 Posts
Some Vulcans do have radios, some Vulcan riders have two-way radios, and how many vehicles around the Vulcan have radios, then how many buildings the Vulcan is passing by.

RFI, EMI, whatever. The resistors began as a way to reduce RFI.

Shielding may be built into those components, but I don't see people worrying about EMI under the hood otherwise, they definitely don't wrap tin foil in the engine bay.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you to all for the helpful responses...since my coils are good....Is there an upgraded plug wire set that works well on our bikes? I was considering the Accel 140403 universal coil kit...how much improved performance does the Accel coil deliver over the stock coil? Is it worth the $160.00 expenditure...I've seen claims of increased mpg, improved starting power etc...not sure how much is hype or fact...my first preference is to replace the wire set...Tnx

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
Thank you to all for the helpful responses...since my coils are good....Is there an upgraded plug wire set that works well on our bikes? I was considering the Accel 140403 universal coil kit...how much improved performance does the Accel coil deliver over the stock coil? Is it worth the $160.00 expenditure...I've seen claims of increased mpg, improved starting power etc...not sure how much is hype or fact...my first preference is to replace the wire set...Tnx
I would not replace anything until needed.

I checked the manual, Kawasaki has upper/lower limits for the resistance in the spark plug cap (the resistor). They certainly intended for it to be there.

If I (JMO) changed plug wires, I would probably remove the resistors. Unless the new wires were really low resistance.

I believe Slimvulcanrider has experience with the Accel coils. He may catch this or you could PM him. He is a long time mechanic by trade.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Aside from Professor Wolf
Please dont call me that...it would be VN750 sacrilidge, as there IS a "Professor".... ;) ...Im just an old fart thats been messin with bikes since the 60s...I aint a "know all"...

The resistors/static only affect AM band radio (perhaps KC2 can add here, as he is a longtime HAM operator...)....the static affected CB band radio, and VHF TV....bugged the cops too.....

What I have on mine, are automotive wires...screws up some radar traps too, lol....(I was pulled over fer doin 208mph)....I just looked at him and asked "gonna take that data to court ?"....he lemme go...

I suggest retaining the old NGK ends, bypassing the resistor, and adding new wires...many automotive stores have em in bulk lengths......lotta different colors too....stay away from Accel...their quality has gone way down....

The resistors were designed fer the 80's...Kawi kept em....no need fer em now since almost nobody is on that band....IMO, it just adds resistance and lowers yer spark intensity....hot, clean sparks are a must on these bikes....

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hell Schmeil...yer fairly local....try to make it to Strange Days this year....just a 2 hr ride fer you.....search the board fer "StrangeDays"....gonna be a sheitload of us there....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts