Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I pulled the lead caps on the A/F mixture screws last week to try and reduce the popping. Turns out that when i marbled the bike i didn't plug the carb vacuum at first, but thanks to the forum (spockster), i have that squared away. Bike no longer sounds like a fire fight so needless to say I'm satisfied there. Not being 100% sure if i adjusted the screws rich or lean enough, I pulled two plugs because I've read o here "your plugs will tell the story". My initial reaction was "well, they look like plugs" lol, I don't think the bike is running rich (no gas smell, etc) but comparing it to pics online I cannot tell if i'm still borderline lean. Most previous threads I found here no longer have pics.
Just looking for more experienced eyes to weigh in. I have had the bike since Sept 2018 and this is the first time i have pulled the plugs.

RL = Rear Left side
FR = Front Right side

Attachments

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Looks light gray, blending toward white? Check me on that, I'm red/green deficient.

So borderline lean? Might be ok if they don't become any more white and engine temp stays normal.
Where are you with jets? I did remember the straight pipes.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks light gray, blending toward white? Check me on that, I'm red/green deficient.

So borderline lean? Might be ok if they don't become any more white and engine temp stays normal.

Air intake is stock, jets are stock, and I have the goats belly still. Mufflers are corroded and in my basement until I get around to repairing or replacing them.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts

Air intake is stock, jets are stock, and I have the goats belly still. Mufflers are corroded and in my basement until I get around to repairing or replacing them.
The pipes are taking it to the lean side. Could watch it a little while and see if the plug color progresses to white or stays the same.

I'd avoid sustained, full throttle, high rpm runs until you can establish the color. Like a mile at 80+ mph.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I’ll recheck them soon to keep tabs on them. I don’t do much WOT riding so i’m not too worried. Is putting my muffs back on my only option to make it a tad richer? If I’m not mistaken y’all said the AF screws are only really for idle and below 2K rpm. Rejetting is probably above my comfort zone still.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Mufflers, probably your best option. I've got one, it's rashed and dented. The other one is broken off where the clamp belongs.

I have a source for low cost mufflers, but you have to wait until the right length shows up. Some are pretty long, like 22" or so. Screamin Eagles show up once in a while.

Check eBay too?

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I suppose you might look for some slip in baffles. That might do it, or other slip-on mufflers.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mufflers, probably your best option. I've got one, it's rashed and dented. The other one is broken off where the clamp belongs.

I have a source for low cost mufflers, but you have to wait until the right length shows up. Some are pretty long, like 22" or so. Screamin Eagles show up once in a while.

Check eBay too?
I suppose you might look for some slip in baffles. That might do it, or other slip-on mufflers.
The first thing I’m going to try is to fix the old ones. Will try to see if I can JB weld the clamps back on. I’m hoping that in combination with the bolts on the passenger pegs is enough to hold them in place.
The bike doesn’t feel as “torquey” pulling away from the stops like it used to. Maybe that’s just me though, who knows

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Most bikes will lose low-end torque with open pipes. My neighbor's Kawi sounds like a helicopter and takes a mile to go through the gears. I can hear him cross the river more than a mile away.

If you have a friendly neighborhood muffler shop, they should be able to mig it back together.

Not sure how the clamps are done, been a while. But you'll have to rough up the chrome for the JB Weld to have any chance, and I'm not sure how the extra heat might affect it.

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most bikes will lose low-end torque with open pipes. My neighbor's Kawi sounds like a helicopter and takes a mile to go through the gears. I can hear him cross the river more than a mile away.

If you have a friendly neighborhood muffler shop, they should be able to mig it back together.

Not sure how the clamps are done, been a while. But you'll have to rough up the chrome for the JB Weld to have any chance, and I'm not sure how the extra heat might affect it.
The standard JB says it can handle 500 degrees. I’m not sure I buy that 100% but I’ll give it a try, even if it’s just a temp fix. Let’s face it, the stock mufflers remind me of the tin-man on the wizard of oz. They’re just ugly. I’ve never welded anything in my life but if my first attempt looked like they did I’d be disappointed in my work.
But to your point, roughing up the chrome shouldn’t be too hard. There really wasn’t any left in that area where the joints cracked.

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I thought they looked funny at first, but the pipes kinda grew on me, they're different than any others.

No, you don't have much to lose if JB doesn't hold, hanger will keep it on bike.

Coarse sandpaper, grinder, just anything to make it rough and clean. I've glued chunks back into dirt bike engines with JB. Not sure how hot the muffler can get.

Have used other liquid metal to plug emissions holes in car engines.

When I can get to the desk, I'll take a look for mufflers. You'd go $15-20 for a pair, maybe?

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I thought they looked funny at first, but the pipes kinda grew on me, they're different than any others.

No, you don't have much to lose if JB doesn't hold, hanger will keep it on bike.

Coarse sandpaper, grinder, just anything to make it rough and clean. I've glued chunks back into dirt bike engines with JB. Not sure how hot the muffler can get.

Have used other liquid metal to plug emissions holes in car engines.

When I can get to the desk, I'll take a look for mufflers. You'd go $15-20 for a pair, maybe?
I’d pay that, probably more if they looked good. Realistically anything under a $100 I’d consider. But I’d make sure the stock muffs are a total lost cause first.
Here’s a question,
Is it possible to slip something like this directly into the back pipes of the GB? Would that help the build to maintain the pressure? Or is it more related to the volume of the pipe before the exhaust is released?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174074269506

I ask because I like the look of the exhaust tips. Problem is the ones I have now are 3” by 5” so they’re just a tad thinner in circumference than the heat shield. I saw a pair of resonated tips at autozone that are 3.75” wide by 9”. Curious if the combination of the two would help and it would give it a short megaphone look to it.

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/dc-sports-stainless-steel-bolt-on-muffler-tip-fits-1.75-inch-to-2.5-inch-pipes-ex-1010/10027659-p?product_channel=local&store=8752

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
I think that first link could add some back pressure, but couldn't say how much. Check the depth of the outlets on the belly. Have a belly in the garage, but you know how I am.

Can't really see inside the second one, if just a tip, probably won't do much at all.

I went through and saved some of the mufflers, but we'll wait until you're ready. Meanwhile you can find out what length you'd like to get.

I'm looking for some long ones to use for tips on a car, they might even work as mufflers. The last set of tips I bought rusted out in no time, the chrome is always a lot better on bike mufflers. 🙂

·
Premium Member
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The second link is just an exhaust tip, I’ve held that one in my hand last time I was at the store. Its not meant to add pressure, they sell it with or without the resonater which is supposed to just add some sound to the exhaust note. I was questioning how much pressure that insert would achieve and it sounds as if you’re not sure either. It looks like it’ could fit, just would have to measure for sanity

Attachments

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Hey I'm sending you a PM with a link to check out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts