Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking on some feedback for windshield options. Budget is $200 or less.

So far I like the Plexistar and Streetshield from National Cycle. If you have either one of these, I'd like to know if you are happy with them. Plexistar probably has much better coverage, but the Streetshield looks to be similar to the F&S version only a little taller and wider.

I'm also interested in the quick release system and how well it works.

Does the mounting system block the view of the gauges at all?

If you are running something else that will fit in my budget, let me know what you have and how well it works for you.

By the way, am 6'1" tall with 32" inseam.

If you let me know your measurements, that'll help me compare more accurately when it comes to comments about looking over vs. through the shield and helmet buffeting at speed.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I'm 6' with 31" inseam, have the Plexistar II and like it. Comes off the bike in just a minute or two. Will probably be cutting an inch or so off it so I can see over it more easily. Right now the wind hits very near the top of the helmet.

·
Registered
278 Posts
5'10", 32" inseam. Have the Plexistar 2. I may have it tilted back a little more than usual, but I don't like looking through it. I also have a seat cushion that raises me another 1/2'-1" approx. This is my first windscreen and I like it a lot. At speed, there's a minor amount of buffeting at the top of my fullface. Again, may be the more extreme angle I've set it on.

John

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
I have the Plexistar II and I think it's too tall. Also the lower connection to the forks is just hose clamps, seems kind of chimpy for such a nice bike.

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm... wonder if there is something else you could use on the forks for attachment.

How tall are you Bronson?

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
I had no problem with the "hose clamps" as you can't really see them with the sheild on.

Mine was cut down 3-4 inches when I got it, and it worked fine...(I did get a Corbin seat, which is lower than the stock one) so the height for my 5'9"" frame was a just right for me...but I normally looked through the screen , not over it.

I have a photo of it here compared to a Memphis Shades Hellcat..(the smaller one).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/1490861142/in/set-72157602271287132

I really liked the PS2 and have nothing negative to say about it other than it took a few attempts to get the angle right. I ended up lowering the headlight an inch to get the airflow to work better... so try some adjustments up/down and forward/back untill it feels less turbulant behind it at speed.

KM

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
I've got the Plexifairing III on mine, and I love it.

Here's some recent pics of it:

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Asbrand,
Never seen that good a pic of vn750 with a #3 on it. For some reason I thought you had to relocate signals to handlebar mount with the 3. Obviously you don't.

Bet the lowers add a lot of air control

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Asbrand,
Never seen that good a pic of vn750 with a #3 on it. For some reason I thought you had to relocate signals to handlebar mount with the 3. Obviously you don't.

Bet the lowers add a lot of air control
Didn't have to relocate a thing. :)

And yeah, they help a LOT. Glad I went with a 3 and not a 2.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the "slipstreamer enterprise". It's my second one, broke the first when I layed the bike down. I really like it. Good wind coverage and is the highest of any I could find. If you ride at night don't get the Grey one, It makes it to dark and kinda dangerous. Runs about $150. Just go to slipstream on the net. I think they might have a sale going on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey "asbrand" which seat do you have. I am looking to getting a seat that one with the baseball bat can ride on and go with me. I am looking at the Corbin one. Do you like yours knifemaker

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
slipstreamer

Carmai, the slipstreamer looks interesting, but I think it's gonna be the Plexistar 2 or the Plexifairing 3 for me.
The National Cycle site really touts their use of polycarbonate vs. acrylic and that is a deciding factor. Now I just have to figure out which one is best for Texas riding conditions.
It gets pretty hot here and on some days I might miss the extra airflow the PF3 blocks; then again the lowers would extend riding season in the colder months.
It seems the best all around solution for me would be PS2 with additional removable lowers (if I can find such a thing).

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
It seems the best all around solution for me would be PS2 with additional removable lowers (if I can find such a thing).
make your own lowers... search the forums.. Lance/Ron used to make a set of em.. they looked neat as heck.. and worked real good too.

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
make your own lowers... search the forums.. Lance/Ron used to make a set of em.. they looked neat as heck.. and worked real good too.
Or you can make some "invisable lowers" like I did ...( more for taming turbulance) .... Photo at my fliker site below.

KM

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slim & KM,

Both are interesting ideas for possible future projects. Right now I am working on voltmeter install and windshield is next. After that could be making some lowers depending on windshield decision.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got the Plexifairing III on mine, and I love it.

Here's some recent pics of it:

Asbrand, I really like the looks of the Plexifairing 3 on your bike...I just got my '94 VN750 and it came with a shield that had been forced onto the bike and it a) bent my speedo/tach nacelles inward and b) put a split in the plexi so I am tosssing the whole shebang...it was obviously not the right size to begin with.

-Does the Plexifairing 3 just slip over the headlight with no forcing/wedging at all? If so, very cool!

-How tall are you? I would rather have no windshield at all than have that constant rapping on my noggin from wind buffetting at speed. I'm 5' 10", 31" inseam, am crossing my fingers that your set up can be duplicated in my case

Thanks!

Matt

·
Dave
95 Posts
I bought an OEM Vulcan windshield ( in my avatar pic) off ebay when I first bought my bike last year. It was ok but still got buffeted a bit. When fall came I wanted more wind protection so I bought a Plexistar 2. Love it. Might just leave it on for the summer instead of putting the OEM one back on......

We'll see......

·
Big Dumb Viking
597 Posts
Asbrand, I really like the looks of the Plexifairing 3 on your bike...I just got my '94 VN750 and it came with a shield that had been forced onto the bike and it a) bent my speedo/tach nacelles inward and b) put a split in the plexi so I am tosssing the whole shebang...it was obviously not the right size to begin with.

-Does the Plexifairing 3 just slip over the headlight with no forcing/wedging at all? If so, very cool!

-How tall are you? I would rather have no windshield at all than have that constant rapping on my noggin from wind buffetting at speed. I'm 5' 10", 31" inseam, am crossing my fingers that your set up can be duplicated in my case

Thanks!

Matt
I am 6'2" and the wind goes right over my helmet.

And didn't have to "force" it on at all. Fit just fine. I think it took me all of 5 mins to put it on the bike.

Just took it off the bike yesterday in prep to heading down to Panama City Beach for bike week. Came off in like 30 seconds. :smiley_th

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks Asbrand

I am 6'2" and the wind goes right over my helmet.

And didn't have to "force" it on at all. Fit just fine. I think it took me all of 5 mins to put it on the bike.

Just took it off the bike yesterday in prep to heading down to Panama City Beach for bike week. Came off in like 30 seconds. :smiley_th
Thanks! That helps a lot. I'm still not sure if I want to go with a shield, but knowing that it fits and goes on/comes off easily has me leaning toward getting it. I appreciate your help!

Matt

1 - 20 of 22 Posts