Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Plexifairing III installation question

5K views 26 replies 15 participants last post by  cm4cm5 
#1 ·
I recently had my Plexifairing III windshield arrive but couldn't get to messing with it until today. After trial fitting it, I've come up with several questions that I hope some of you already with the Plexifairing III can answer for me.
I see now that the "III" isn't tailor-made for the Vulcan but also fits the Shadow and Virago. If I position the screen so that the handlegrips are covered then there is a huge gap between the bottom of the screen and the headlight. I can place my fist on the instrument cluster panel, between the tach and the speedometer, and still have a thumb to spare before the bottom of the screen is touched. We're talking about a five inch open gap.
Does this sound right to you?
Also, I'm 5'11" and when the windshield is positioned thusly I'll have to trim it down some 5 or 6 inches off the top in order to look over the top edge.
Does this also sound about right for those of you having installed one already?
National Cycle assures me that this is, in fact, the correct part number windshield for the Vulcan and I was told that a small opening at the bottom is desired so that a negative vacuum won't be created when moving at speed. The guy on the phone said that without the opening, some riders are actually pulled forward towards the windshield.
Ok, I can kinda accept that I guess but 5 inches isn't small to me. (Keep your mind out of the gutter! )
So, for those out there that have already gotten theirs, are my concerns valid or groundless?
Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
The PF3 "handguard" does not line up with the grips on the Vulcan, so many just try some comprimise here. I don't think I would raise it more than 2 inches above the headlight...it is true that you do want some air coming up from the bottom, but 5 inches would be too much really.
KM

#3 ·
I am not familiar with the Plexifairing III but I assume it does not fit well because of the Vulcans standard 8-inch ape bars. Easiest fix may be to go to a low-rise handle bar. I have some temporary lower rise (~ 4-inch) bars on my bike now and I like the position better. I am 5'11" also (but I also have a lower than stock seat).

#4 · (Edited)
I can't say I've noticed being "pulled forward" when I've had my PF3 just even or sometimes even slightly below the top of the headlight......

Maybe the swept back angle I have it at has something to do with it??

And, like KM said, the shield doesn't line up very well with the grips :doh:
There have been more than a few here who've had their shield trimmed down on top for better fit for their size. I just deal with it like it is. The slight distortion from the top takes some getting used to, but once ya get used to it, it's not much of an issue (for me atleast)

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply's and pics!
The swept back angle on your PF3 looks good, Hyper. It's supposed to be the same angle as the forks and those two pics you sent are the best that I've seen yet for details on the fitting.
In regards to the handguard not lining up ideally with the grips, does this difference that people have had to compromise for actually affect the protective coverage of the hands or does the wind flow pattern still pass over the hands?
One of the main reasons that I chose the PF3 was to get some hand protection and this revelation about it not lining up has me wondering if I made a wise selection. I've not read any threads in here or anywhere else where someone mentioned the non-alignment nor if it had a negative proctective effect in any real, practical sense. If it still works when out of position, then I'll compromise, as KM says, and position it so there is a 2-3 inch gap over the headlight and just accept the visual "offness" of the affair.
Placing it thusly would mean less of a top edge trim job, too. I'm not concerned about doing that anyway.
I'm always looking forward to seeing front end pics for comparisons and truly appreciate all of your suggestions. I think I'll keep my factory handlebars though.

#6 ·
I usually have the shield mounted so the lowers are the same angle as the forks, not the shield itself. But on that ride (1st Erie Potluck Jamboree), it wasn't too cold, so I decided to go with the swept back look. Although, with it like that, it rubs against the signals and front brake master cylinder.

You could make up a set of homemade deflectors/extentions out of some plexiglas/lexan, and rivet or bolt them to the handguards of the shield.

Last time I had my shield on, in cold weather, the handguards helped with some barrier against the wind, but ofcourse, it could've been better.
IMO, it's better than nothing.
The PF 2 is the exect same as the 3, but without the lowers. I'm not sure what other shields offer any kind of hand protection like the PF's.

#8 ·
Well, after all is said and done, I think the windshield looks better in person than I thought it would look. And the price is unbeatable (mine was under $150).
But overall I am still disappointed. In my opinion National Cycle is flying under false colors by saying it's for the Vulcan when it's clearly a more generic product meant to work on several different models. The documents that come with it don't even mention the Vulcan but refer to the Shadow and Virago. The PF3's main selling appeal to me was the handguards which don't fit the Vulcan.
For the price it's not bad. However it's not what it's advertised to be. Hiker pointed out if it offers about 75% protection for the hands, but to me that is like saying a person is 75% pregnant.
It may be the best on the market yet that may be due to being the only one on the market that offers even that much hand protection.
All in all, I'm happy for the protection that it DOES give but am disappointed that it's not what I thought I was buying.
Would I recommend it to others? Yes, as long as I could add certain caveats to the recommendation.

#9 ·
I mounted it in such a way that it covers the handlebars almost completely. There's just a teeny bit of wind-flow over the end of the handlebars which manages to JUST catch my big hands, but it's SO SO SO much better than when I used to ride without a windshield in 40-degree weather. I can go over an hour without my hands freezing while wearing my pretty thin gloves when, without the PF3, I could only go 20 mins, if that. The only annoying thing is that, since I've yet to trim the windshield, my visor fogs up a bit from lack of ventilation. I just crack the visor open 1/8 an inch and it seems to handle the fog fine like that.

#13 · (Edited)
I'm with j0n0tt0 here on the mounting. I mounted mine more upright than Hyper, and it rests on top of the headlight. I get great hand protection as well as the rest of the body - even the knees. I'm 5'11" as well. I wouldn't dare trim off the top. It works great as it is. It makes a huge difference from when I was riding 18 miles to and from work in less than 40 degree weather without the shield.

#10 ·
I've decided to mount it higher and have the nads completely covered. I'll trim off more at the top but trimming is trimming so that part is no big deal.
As far as the bottom gap I've plenty of time to experiment with some materials to see what would be best to modify/attach and fill in the 5 inch space. A trip or two to Home Depot should fess up a few different ideas that I have for such a filler. It's also been recently suggested to me to try some plexiglas and play around with heating and molding. That sounds interesting, too.
I've plenty of time and the weather lately has had juuuuust enough ice on the road that I'm content to have it in the garage. Cold doesn't bother me. Nor does rain. Ice...... not happy with ice.

#12 ·
These windscreens are not sold to protect your hands. I had a PS2 , which when looked at, covered the ends of the bars much better than the PF3..but once you get moving, this protection is very limited..(75% seems high) As your hands are at the edges of the shield, wind will still blow overthem as it comes around the sides, and below (even if you have lowers)
The screens however do a great job of getting the wind off most of the rest of your body. but a ride in cold weather will quickly show you that your hands are not out of the airflow.
Raising it up more really won't do much, and I would mount it as low as you can and not worry about the "handguards" as they are useless anyway...and I'd rather have more protection offerered for the rest of my body and just wear warmer gloves. (and use guards that atatch to the handlebars directly)

National Cycle only says that the screen "will fit" the Vulcan, nowhere do I see them saying it was "made for" the vulcan...a point you should consider when buying anything for your bike.
Thus , the fit is a bit generic , and not perfect. The Plexistar II that I had seemed to fit better, but again, it was obvious that it was not made specificly for the bike. I picked this one and made my own "lowers"...but again, other than the visual misalignment of the grips to the "handguards" as you call them, the PF3 is the best protection you can get for the Vulcan , unless you can find the original Touring Package fairing.
My FJR has good protection from it's fairing and windscreen. (I bought an aftermarket one that is 4 inches wider and 4 inches taller)..but I still ended up buying a set of VStrom handguards and fitting them to my bike for cold weather riding. (They work great BTW)

KM

#15 ·
I've had the PIII fairing for a couple of months now, and the air gap I have is anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" depending on where you look. It has not been a problem whatsoever. I often ride in the rain, and everything stays dry. I've even read where there is supposed to be a gap to create some negative air flow. All I can say is that the PIII fairing has been a godsend to me and my riding.

#16 ·
Ditto, to the comfy ride. My PF-III has about an inch gap and my bars are rolled back to lower them. I don't get much air around hitting my hands. The Pf makes for a better ride in the cold and wet-great investment.

#17 ·
just a add on , how would one go about trimming the shield down? And what would be the best height? I actually look through my Memphis shades.Is that why I am getting so much backair?

#20 ·
PFIII Cutting...

I absolutly hated looking through my PFIII. At work, one of the maintenence men used a Dremmel or some such rotory cutter to cut along my marks. I measured/marked 1.5", and 2" and decided on the 2" cut. After the rotory tool cut, which left a rough finish, I rode home and took my belt sander to it. Viola, perfect! I did scuff it a tad by tipping the sander once, no biggie as it's not a show bike. The belt sander did eat/melt through it like butter though so, be careful. My sander was a variable speed one so I had more control over the grind.

If I had to do it again, I'd take off 2.5" I'm 5'8" - 5'9" I do love it now though...

Hope this helps...

#18 ·
My bike came with the Plexi II. There was at least a 2" gap above the headlight and I was looking through the top few inches (where the most distortion seems to be) all the time.

A couple weeks ago I decided it to lower it so it almost touched the headlight, and angle it back so I was effectively looking just over the top unless I really slouched. The day after I lowered it I participated in a daytime50 mile poker run at the York Motorcycle Club. The new lowered position seemed to work well and I was finally catching some air in my helmet vents.

However, last night I had a meeting to attend and it was dark when it ended. I learned the new angle causes the Plexi shield to reflect the lights from the speedo, tach, etc. Although I was looking over the shield and could see the headlit road well out front, I was unable to clearly see the road's details immediately in front of me due to the reflected glare and therefore I managed to run over every bump, pothole, and manhole cover in town. I hit one so hard my hand yanked the throttle farther open and I believe I was airborn for a moment.

Needless today I was back in the garage readjusting the plexi II. I allowed about a 3/4" gap over the headlight and raised the angle so I'm back to looking through it rather than over it. I'll see if I fair better on tonight's ride home in the dark.

#19 ·
I've had mine on a while now and have ridden in all sorts of weather. I find that I must disagree with Knifemaker on that the PF III wasn't sold to protect your hands. Mine is mounted with quite a gap between the bottom of the screen and the headlight. The hands are completely covered and I've been in COLD weather with no frozen finger issues at all. I wouldn't place it in any other position.
The gap seems to cause no problems at all although it may look a tad weird at first.
At first I was unhappy with it but now I'm sold on it. No, it's not the best looking windscreen on the market but what do you want for around $150 complete?

#21 ·
The hands are completely covered and I've been in COLD weather with no frozen finger issues at all. I wouldn't place it in any other position.
DITTO!!!!:smiley_th

No, it's not the best looking windscreen on the market but what do you want for around $150 complete?
I think it looks great! I also tried KM's trick yesterday of using furniture polish on it after cleaning it. It poured today about midday, and when everything dried there were no water spots at all. I even put some on my mirrors, and the same result! That was a great tip!

#22 · (Edited)
My PF3 has a 1/2 to 3/4" gap above the headlight. This has created no problems at all in any kind of weather. Not the clearest shot, but...

I keep the lowers parallel to the front forks.

I had a chop shop lower my windshield by 1.5". They did an excellent job for under $40. I'm 5'9". The Corbin seat, plus an Airhawk seat cushion, plus the chop job, puts my line-of-sight nicely over the top of the shield. The wind blows over the top of my helmet and over the tops of my hands.

One added benefit ~ when I accidently knocked my bike over (twice!), the wing of the PF3 took the brunt of the fall each time. Result: some scratches on the edge of the shield (left and right), but no damage whatsoever to the bike itself!

#23 ·
#25 ·
I've been riding with the PF3, unmodified, for over a week now. I am looking through the shield (I'm 5'10''). The biggest problem I have is the reflection of the gas cap, especially in the morning with the sun reflecting off the cap. I've tried both more and less tilted, and the reflection is still there. Is everyone else having the same issue?

#27 ·
i also have the PF3..unmodified..im 5'11...i have it setting on the headlight (no gap) i have it tilted back to about 1/4 inch from hitting the master- cylinder. i can see over the top with no problem, no reflections at all, and still have just enough air hitting me to keep me cool. even when my wife rides with me, she says the air is just fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.