Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Plexifairing 3 Windshield Questions...

6K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  TonyO 
#1 ·
I've been reading through the forum postings on the PF3 and Memphis Shades windshields. I currently don't have one and I'm considering all of the following:

* PF III
* Memphis Fats (maybe slims)
* National Cycle Custom Heavy Duty

I got to say that in order of looks I prefer the Custom Heavy then the Memphis and finally the PF3 but looks aren't my primary concern. I use my bike for commuting and at highway speeds (65+mph) I get blasted in the helmet and chest area. I'm 6'2" so I don't think I'll have problems "seeing over" any of these shields.

Does the PF3 cause extreme heat problems in the Summer? I'm a little worried that when I put on the windshield that I'll end up with the opposite problem (i.e. no wind in my face at all). Also I'm worried that if I use a smaller shield type (like a sport shield for instance) that I'll just re-direct the air into my upper chest and head because of my height. Any tall riders have some anecdotal words of wisdom here?

#2 ·
I've had a PF3 for a couple of years now and haven't noticed any heat problems.

#3 ·
I have a PS2 which is the same as the PF3 but without lowers. It keeps the high pressure air off my face and chest but enough air flow to keep you kool in the summer heat. :beerchug:

#7 ·
Cliff,
I've had the PF3 for 3 years now and like its function, but hate its looks. My PF3 developed vertical cracks 1-2" long over the headlight and the manufacturer was no help in resolving the problem through replacement or by suggesting repair techniques. I would probably go with a harder, non-acrylic windshield next time.
Al

#9 ·
My PS2 is over 8 years old and looks the same as it did when it was new, I bought it used. I have never heard of them just cracking, with abuse, misuse or improper mounting anything is possible.

#8 ·
I'd have to add my vote for the PF3 or the Plexistar 2.

If you do "commute" on your bike with highway riding, it just makes sence to get the most protection. Be it from wind , rain , hail, road debris or the occasional rock tossed at you by a car or truck. You also extend your season as you can ride when the temps go into the 50's or 40's as the screen does a good job of keeping the blast off you when it is cold.

As for when it is hot out, do remember that any shield does not cut you off from airflow fully, and as long as you are moving there is always air moving around you. The design of the Vulcan also seems to always let wind hitting your legs rise up your torso some even with a large windscreen. The only time I tend to feel hot is when I am not moving , where having a windscreen at all or one thats big or small would make no difference anyway.

I have never heard of PF3 or PS2 cracking as Gatecity reported. Most times cracking is the result of using some kind of chemical on the screen you shouldn't have, or from some type of impact. Or from someone trying to modify the screen by cutting it and not finishing it properly.

Acrylic screens are pretty tough. They still use them on aircraft. The problem with using the much stronger plastic , Lexan, is that it scratches easily. National Cycle does sell Lexan screens, but they have a scratch resistant coating on them...and cost alot more than acrylic.

I had mine for almost five years, and bought it used , so not sure how old it was. (I had the PS2 also, which I think fits the Vulcan a bit better than the PF3) If you are 6'2" both NC windscreens should work well for you right out of the box. Us short guys usualy cut ours down some. Both also can be taken off quickly if you feel the need to have your body blasted by the air.

KM

#11 ·
Just wanted to give an update on my continuing PF3 saga...

Finally got my PF3 delivered the other day and started going thru the parts only to find that one of the parts bags contained the wrong size "pivot mount" for the fairing. Apparently National Cycle made a boo boo at the packaging plant and put the wrong size part in there (I believe that all the other mouting h/w was for 7/8" bars and this one was obviously for 1" bars). Luckily JCWhitney was really helpful and they sent a rush order to NC for the correct part but for now I'm still getting too much wind in my face at highway speeds.

In other news, I topped off my non-MF battery today and I've decided that I'm going MF as soon as I get some spare cash ...Luckily, the PO didn't have any battery mishaps as the battery box was clean as a whistle.

#12 ·
I have the Memphis Shades 19 inch. I am 5'11".

I love the looks of the Memphis Shades and wind is still able to get around enough to keep me moderately cool even in the dead of summer. Unfortunately, there is very little adjustment in the mount. It really kills the aerodynamics of my bike.

My biggest complaint is the horrible wind buffeting I get over the top of the shield. I wish I had gotten the next size larger (if there is one). I think I sit just a few inches too high and catch the wind over the windshield. I am VERY unhappy about that.

My Spitfire shield used to shoot the air right into my visor and under my helmet. (Very noisy and lotsa bugs). The Memphis makes the rides more quiet and it looks great. but it is too short and too upright. Nothing I can do about it now though.

(oh, and the Memphis requires a front turn signal relocation)

#13 ·
Does the PF3 cause extreme heat problems in the Summer? I'm a little worried that when I put on the windshield that I'll end up with the opposite problem (i.e. no wind in my face at all).
I have a PF3. I admit that it isn't the best-looking shield out there. But I've been very happy with its performance in hot/cold and wet/dry.

I'm under 5'9" so I had 1.5" shaved off the top.

#16 ·
I love my pf3. Bought it early this spring and rode on some 35 degree mornings 20 miles to work with jeans and a light leather jacket with no problem. I'm 6 ft. 6 in. Tall and can look over or through very easily. Lots of bug and road trash around here, its alredy saved me several potential nasty impacts (like a swarm of bees? @70 mph). At 90 degrees i still had enough air to stay cool. I also notice that i feel a little more relaxed while riding. Good luck, dave

#18 ·
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I went ahead and got the PF3. Still waiting on National Cycle to send me the replacement hardware for the pivot mount that was the wrong size (always check to make sure your hardware is correct BEFORE starting to install!). Still commuting with the wind in my face which is okay until about 65mph where it starts to get tiresome...I have a feeling that the installation of this windshield is going to totally change my experience on the bike at highway speeds. Hopefully I can adjust it to see over the top easily but if not, it seems that people have had great success "trimming" their windshield down to fit.

#19 ·
UPDATE::

Got the replacement pivot mounts for my PF3 tonight. Install took about 1 - 1.5h. Went for a short test ride and so far I'm loving it, the height is just about perfect for me - not too low and seeing over the shield is no problem. Taking some tools with me tomorrow since the fasteners may need some tweaking after settling into their final positions but overall I'm very pleased with the shield.

#21 ·
You can cut it yourself if you have a saber saw with a hacksaw blade or one with 20-26 teeth per inch. Use painters tape on both sides to cover the screen wide enough the saw base won't scratch it. Draw your line on the tape and cut SLOW... if you try and go fast it can crack.
After you cut it, leave the tape on and sand the edge with 220 grit then 360 to polish the edge and remove any saw blade marks.
You can then remove the tape, any tape adhesive will come off with Goo-Gone.
(Don't use Goo Gone Xtreme, it will react with the plastic, use the regular yellow GooGone.)

Ideally there's no real problem looking through the screen. But you want to measure your cut so if you have to look over it (like rain or thick fog) you can.... by just sitting up and stretching a bit. I road looking through my PF3 and other than misty rain, never had a problem.
Never wipe your screen side to side, always top to bottom. Plexus is great cleaner for plastic windshields.

#22 ·
Or you could do this. Got the idea from the Vetter website.

I wanted the screen high to keep the wind off me completely but a couple places on my commute there are severe temperature inversions in the morning, screen goes white with condensation instantly.

Slot also gives nice breeze for those warm sunny Florida afternoons going home.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.