Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so my Stator went out. I pulled the motor. replaced the stator, replaced and relocated R/R. Replaced main wiring harness( R/R connector was damaged). I have now replaced the J/B, with a new one from Kawasaki. When i hit the starter button I get nothing. I bypassed the whole system and ran 12 volts to the Starter Solenoid and the starter turned fine. I chased connectivity through all the wires and none of them are damaged. I replaced the junction box because I could not find anything else. I also bypassed the engine stop switch, by connecting Y/R to R. Still nothing. It has to be something stupid like a Ground? I checked the ground from the back of the motor, the one by the Electronics and the one next to the battery. Thats all of them right? I was trying to ride this weekend but I still cant get this thing running again. It ran perfect before I tore it down!

·
Registered
90 Posts
When you turn the key does it light up (lights?). If not maybe the fuses on the JB are bad. Second to check is the clutch bypass switch and the side stand switch and it's wiring if the are bad the bike will not run the starter and will cut out.

That's what I'm thinking are two possibilities.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I turn the key i get all my lights except headlight. My neutral light is working. So I would assume the sensor is working. I thought with it in nuetral the other switches were bypassed. I even tried with the kickstand up. I chased 12volts all the way from the Y/R wire from the ignition switch, through the engine stop switch and start button (both work), I get 12 volts when I push the start button to the B and Y/G wires at the J/B. But I do not get 12 volts on the Y/R wire going to the solenoid. I am really at a loss, I have put 3 J/B's on it (the last one is brand new with new fuses). I even check the fuses with a multimeter.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
sounds like your clutch switch man... to bypass it.. connect the black/yellow and yellow green wires together... you should not have voltage on the yellow green wire.. it's a ground for the safety switches.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Check the contacts in the start button. :beerchug:

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
When you press the start button do you hear the relay in the JB click?

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
That Y/G wire must have no voltage when you hit the start button. Did you do what slim suggested?

Have you tried with the gear at neutral and the clutch lever both pulled and not pulled?

Your starter circuit relay in the junction box is not getting ground. You can force the ground by jumping pin 12 of the JB 10-pin connector to ground. In the wiring diagram the color is said to be yellow/green, but if you don't have that color wire to the connector, it's the black wire.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, I tested the clutch switch and it tests fine as well. I jumped the Y/G wire to ground and she started right up!! Now I have to figure out what is causing it? What could it be????lol. at least its running now! thanks for the suggestions. I hope you guys may be able to turn me in the right direction. My neutral switch is working, clutch switch and right hand controls all tested good. There has to be a ground or something I am missing.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I don't remember the colors of the wires, since I did it so long ago, but I removed and bypassed both my clutch switch and sidestand switch years ago, before they failed. I never saw any purpose for them, and didn't want to have to mess with them out on the road. I kept the kill switch, because after starting my bike up in the morning, and letting it warm up, I like to hit the kill switch, shift into gear, hit the kill switch again, and start it up in gear. This is the easiest way I've found to free up a sticky clutch after the bike has been sitting for awhile. Jerry.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
ok, I tested the clutch switch and it tests fine as well. I jumped the Y/G wire to ground and she started right up!! Now I have to figure out what is causing it? What could it be????lol. at least its running now! thanks for the suggestions. I hope you guys may be able to turn me in the right direction. My neutral switch is working, clutch switch and right hand controls all tested good. There has to be a ground or something I am missing.
if you put y/g to ground at the jb.. then the clutch switch isn't working right... or your neutral switch is not working... if the neutral light is coming on, then i would suspect the clutch switch... you might open it up and make sure that it is making contact when you squeeze the clutch.

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
if you put y/g to ground at the jb.. then the clutch switch isn't working right... or your neutral switch is not working... if the neutral light is coming on, then i would suspect the clutch switch... you might open it up and make sure that it is making contact when you squeeze the clutch. BTW.. the bypass is yellow/green to black/yellow for the clutch switch.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
Time to do some resistance measurements. Put the bike at neutral. Disconnect the three pole connector from the clutch switch. Two of the wires should have almost zero resistance to ground and the third should have almost zero to pin 12 of the JB 10-pin connector (your color seems to be Y/G).

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i tested the clutch switch for continuity. i have proper connectivity open and closed. the switch itself is not bad

·
Registered
796 Posts
Some have mentioned the kickstand safety switch. Check to see if the plunger is moving freely. If not pull the rubber back and get some electronics safe spray lube in there.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i also tested the side stand switc
h for continuity and it tested correctly in the open and closed position. i am really at a loss.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I think I had the same problem that wound up being the kill switch. It was a while ago and can't remember the particulars but replaced it and fixed the problem.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Oh and I got thinking of another thing that effected my kickstand switch was the little tab on the kickstand was bent a bit and not totally ingaging the plunger on the switch.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts