Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Play in final drive

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TSmith68 
#1 ·
How much free play should there be in the drive train with the bike in gear?
I have been having some noise from my final drive on occasion, so I checked how much play there was in the wheel.
I put it in 1st gear (without it running) and turned the rear wheel and it moved at least 2 inches forward and backwards.
Is that too much play in the drive train? Or is that about normal. It seemed to be coming from the drive shaft, but when I had it apart, it looked and felt good.
It's possible there is slack in the mid drive.
The splines are lubed, and in great shape. No wear to speak of, and no metal shavings anywhere.

#5 ·
If you do what you did, 1st gear, engine off, and rocked....and heard no metallic "clunk" yer cool......you can try it in each gear also, and it "sorta" checks the tranny too....concentrate on the wheel bearings, rear brake adjust, etc....

#6 ·
I checked it in gear, and there is no clunk or odd noises.
I even went as far as starting it and putting it in 1st and letting it idle. Nothing out of the ordinary there.
The rear wheel and bearings are all in good shape as are the brakes and related parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.