Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Ethanol is a spooky fellow. I always fill mine up with ethanol-free if I'm not going to immediately burn it off on a road trip.

As for the tank, this project seems like a lot of fun! A small production run of a greater-capacity tank is the kind of crowdsourcing project I love seeing on forums like this (if it comes to fruition, no sweats one way or the other)

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
I have been checking for ways with my own tank already today to see where i could squeeze the extra from. I think i can get it to 18 litres which would be 4.7 gallons. Any more and it would just look to big. This is gonna be an interesting project thats for sure.
Document your progress, you can put up a web page or use it on your resume'.

4.7 gal would get me 207 miles. As it is now, I need a fuel stop to get back from the farm, and there's not much out there. They close early too.

Ethanol - I've seen rubber fuel lines 6ft long disintegrate along the entire length in about a minute, rotted from the inside out. Haven't seen modern plastic tanks fall apart.

Think I've seen whisky in plastic bottles, like 1/2 gal or so. Haven't looked in a long while.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I plan on keeping this thread up to date as i go along. It sure is gonna be a fun one. The beauty of it is that once the mould is desiged and made 🤞 all the fittings like for the petcock or fuel level fitting are added afterwards. My thinking on this so far is.. petcock fittings, fuel level fitting(optional) when i say optional i mean the fittings for the screws will be there but no hole for the actual thing itself. The hole can be drilled by the person themselves if they choose to use it. Gas cap will be moulded into the tank. I was also thinking of having fittings in place for the option to add an auxillary tank if one so desiers. This would give the person the option of having an extra gallon tank stashed somewhere else on the bike. This would also have the fittings in place but need to be drilled out also. That is my thinking so far on it.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I think to make it bigger the best way is to make it wider. If you change the side profile it will change the lines of the bike. Unless you are going for a Mad Max look. I carry an extra gallon in 1 qt bottles if I have any doubts about running out. My first 2 Vulcans would go on reserve at around 120 miles. But since it has tubeless tires, I don't have to lug around all the stuff you would need to repair a flat tube type tire. I have saddlebags, a T bag, a tank bag, and have room on the passenger part of the seat for another large bag, which also provides back support. I have always been "mission specific" I carry what I think I will need on a specific trip.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Keep working on it. Add a gallon or more and I would be interested. What color plastic are you planning to use?

·
Registered
322 Posts
MY ten cents

....... how about one with an extra gallon in it?
Absolutely!!! :smiley_th So..... I am not the only one caught in no-man's-land with a tank running dry!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I believe Harley v-rod uses a plastic tank.
It has a sheet metal cover over the engine where a standard tank sits.
The tank itself is relocated under the seat, plastic molded to fit the tight spaces. It’s protected by frame, but has passed Harley and dot safety standards. And I like the idea of new availability to meat demands. As well as no rust regardless of how long it sits.
This vn is now my 7th build. And I always dread the tank battle.
New tanks, restored tanks. Custom, etc. rust removal. Parts to fit. Etc.
but price point would make a new production plastic tank worth worlds to me.
Especially with availability of multiple styles and designs.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts