Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess the engines ship with a thin sheet of plastic film that cover the engine side covers. My was on so good that I never realized it was there until it started to peel around the circumfrence. Now, I cant get the rest of the plastic off the clutch cover. Anyone have any Ideas? It looks like crap.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
It will come off, Not suposto it is a sticker with the writing on it. I removed mine and polished the covers.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
If you look at the picts of mine you will see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Plastic removal

I also removed mine. A little mothers alum polish and a little elbow grease made them shine like chrome. An improvement over the factory applique.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Rubline
I am glad you brought that up. I am having the same problem on my 06.
Ccspinner how did you get yours off without scratching the metal underneath??I have been trying to pick it off little by little It's driving me nuts!! and it looks like hell. Hate to be out in public with my baby sheddin skin like it is.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
You can always try paint remover, just don't get it on the painted part of the engine. Anything that softens the plastic (is it really plastic, or just clear coat paint?). You might try Goof-Off (goop-off?), as it will melt styrofoam, but chances are you'll need some high power stuff.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
I used Adhesive remover, didn't hurt the paint

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Ahhh, so it was a sticker on there.
The previous owner must have removed it on mine. I thought it was painted on and they might have used some kind of engine cleaner that took the paint off.
Now I know.
Ya can still make out the writing on it, but it's barely there.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
I don't know about a sticker. When I was polishing the bike for the first time, I hit it with some Mother's, and polished it with a buffing wheel on my dremel. It appeared to have been etched into the cover, but the buffing took it all off. Never found any plastic.

·
Once Banned
2,125 Posts
Hey Ferg, do you see any type of plastic film on yours? I wonder if the Mothers took ours off? If so, that would be an easy solution and it polishes, too!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
I didn't notice anything like that. I know my cop bike had the engine covers clear coated over the polished aluminum, and now that I removed the clearcoat, they get water spots like crazy! I had some nicks or rough spots on my left cover on the vulcan that I thought I'd try to buff out. I think PO must have kept his dirty boots against them while riding. (floorboards solve that) When I started buffing, the lettering disappeared. I think it's etched, not a plastic coating or stick on. But that wouldn't explain why some have seen peeling. Maybe bran new, they have a film over them that should be removed. Like the break in label on the tach. Mine's still there and won't come off.

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Rubline said:
I guess the engines ship with a thin sheet of plastic film that cover the engine side covers. My was on so good that I never realized it was there until it started to peel around the circumfrence. Now, I cant get the rest of the plastic off the clutch cover. Anyone have any Ideas? It looks like crap.
I noticed the same exact thing just this past week ~ the engine covers of my 2006 suddenly peeling like clear snake skin! It's like Saran Wrap, but stuck on there really good. I've been picking at it piece by piece. I need to try some of the products suggested earlier on this thread ~ Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish or Goo Gone (which, they claim, removes adhesives, tape residue, etc.). There is also a Goop/Goof Off product, but I haven't been able to nail down exactly what it is/does.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
It's a decal. If you want to replace them, you can order them from the usual parts houses. However, as they seem to peel off kind of haphazardly and look terrible when they so, I'm not sure it's worth the cost or effort.
The PO's on mine removed them so I haven't had to deal with it. As for the "etching", I believe it's just the final residue from the decal. Goo Gone or OOPS will probably take off the decal just fine. I used that to get the safety inspection sticker off my tail light bracket with no problems.

·
239 Posts
It is etched into the cover.All you need to do to get it off is: when the engine is hot use your finger nail or an old plastic card,takes some time but it comes off pretty easy.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
once the plastic coating comes off, you can polish it out with just a few strokes of mothers.....i was thinking about taking those lables and having an engraving shop permantly etch them in there, but that metal seems so thin. i guess i will just leave it as is....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts