Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Fashion statement?

Geez, you guys will spend major money making your bike look like a chrome god, but when it comes to equipment you get cheap.

"Hey honey, look at that geek on the nice bike. Perhaps he stole it...call the police..." LMAO

Sorry. But you can find suitable wetness protection for around 20 bucks and not look like an a homeless guy that stole the bike.
These fold up almost as well as a plastic bag, and even have reflective strips:
http://tinyurl.com/ddtpau

These also won't wear out as fast.. or tear like a plastic bag, or melt like butter if you touch the exhaust pipe briefly.

You should look as good as your bike dude.

KM
Yeah well guess what, my bike isent all chromed like yours probably is, it is merely transportation, there is no born to kill tatoo's on mine.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Hey, KM

Looks like you ruffled some feathers! :boxing:

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Well, whatever works for you, outside of the melting problem,
What melting problem?? :confused:
I've never melted a bag if I need to do this. Ya just gotta be careful. If you have the bag attached to your foot good, so it's not flapping around, there wont be any problems.

my real issue (that I did not go into) is safety. How good of grip on the road does the plastic give on wet asphalt? The idea of putting my foot down at a stoplight and slipping...perhaps not just dropping the bike but spraining my ankle..
Oh come on, it's not like there's a thick, hard piece of plastic on the bottom of your foot!
It's a thin piece of plastic ....(as you yourself said "tear like a plastic bag") and if ya do start to slip, for whatever reason, the bag will tear. If you keep slipping, then it's not due to the plastic bag.

...makes the "plastic bag" option more of an "emergency" fix rather than sound preparation.
And as I said....
They all take up very little space and if ya ever get caught in the rain w/o rain gear, your mighty glad ya have them!!
:beerchug:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Gentlemen, No feathers ruffled , but there is no need for ' Nerd' statements. Lets move on!
I ride 50 miles in a straight line, for long hauling it works great.
Bassically when i leave the shop, i put them on and then ride 50 miles to home, i dont touch ground more than about once or twice. I live in Nebraska, long highways, rainy days and Tornado's which i tough out on the open plaines.
I havent had any bad exsperiences with it, the tape is very tough and there is no flapping of polythene.
i tape around the place where the gearshifter hits otherwise it will wear a hole in the bag quickly.
This is a totally waterproof system, that does not take up space.
I did try the boots, but i did not like them, and they take up a whole saddlebag.
THE BAG WILL WEAR OUT QUICKLY IF YOU ARE DOING IN TOWN RIDING!
I only use this method for shoes, i wear a proper rain suit for clothing.
Like i said, i ride a Motorcycle, but i am not a Biker if that makes any sense.
Now after you get done buying the cheapest oil for yur bike at walmart , you can put the bags on yur feet! ha ha ha!

·
Super Moderator
11,958 Posts
Hey, KM

Looks like you ruffled some feathers! :boxing:
Well, that just because folks here still can not tell when I am joking around...which makes it more amusing for me at least.
And as good as an idea as it is, to put plastic bags over your feet to keep them dry...and lord knows it would work great...it still looks kinda silly, and if you can't see that .........you are just too serious.

(And I admit to being a geek (or nerd) , nothing wrong with that..)

KM

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
It's all good young men, it's all good!:rockon: and i agree it looks geeky, love it!
I saw 20 harley riders once sheltering under a canopy at a gas station during a hell storm, i rode around them in a circle twice with the geek socks on and reved my engine, and then i took off riding in the hell storm, all 20 heads were looking because i counted them,in my mirror whilst i stopped to absorb some hell, One birded me, and i shouted, what the hell are you waiting for, lets ride!
Gotta love walmart socks!

·
Registered
802 Posts
If I was worried about looks, I wouldn't have married... just kidding honey. :)

While my boots are waterproofed, and I keep the rain gear in my saddle bag, I gotta say no matter how it looks, if your feet are dry in the end, that's what's important.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
...it still looks kinda silly, and if you can't see that .........you are just too serious.
I don't recall anyone here saying it didn't look silly, just that it works.
The bags I keep in my saddlebag are black trashbags.
Cruising down the road, at 40mph, I doubt much of a difference could be seen as compared to the Tour Master's.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I just started getting rain gear this past year because I was spending more time on the bike due to gas prices. If it looks like rain I dress for it before I leave. But, from being caught in the rain so many times from all the years I've been riding, I just don't worry about it until I get to the next stop or home.

·
Registered
411 Posts
If I was worried about looks, I wouldn't have married... just kidding honey. :)
"Police were dispatched to a home in Grand Prairie, TX today after concerned members of the VN750.com website reported the unexplained disappearance of Scootergptx, a resident of the home. Ms. Scootergptx allowed police to search the home while she continued butchering what she identified as "venison", feeding some of it to the family dog..."

--FA

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I always keep a couple small trash bags and tiny bungee cords in my saddlebags incase I get caught ridin' in the rain.

And, if I don't have my rain gear packed in the saddlebags, I also always have a large trash bag to use as an impromptu rain jacket.
They all take up very little space and if ya ever get caught in the rain w/o rain gear, your mighty glad ya have them!!
I live in a semi-desert area and don`t have rain often, but have carried a BIG ORANGE yard waste trash bag for years in the truck as a makeshift raincoat when needed.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Man, this black bag stuff is getting popular, i'll have to try that, along with all you other cool dudes, i have always been flying white ones!

·
Registered
802 Posts
"Police were dispatched to a home in Grand Prairie, TX today after concerned members of the VN750.com website reported the unexplained disappearance of Scootergptx, a resident of the home. Ms. Scootergptx allowed police to search the home while she continued butchering what she identified as "venison", feeding some of it to the family dog..."

--FA
Maybe I should talk to the witness protection program.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts