Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I use walmart plastic bags with duct tape for my rain rides, did not like boots, very clumbsy.
Anybody else tried this??
It creates a few earry looks!! But waterproof shoes!!

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
I think I will stick with my Millwaukee Harness boots. :rockon:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I`ve used them inside of leaky rubber boots, never on the outside before. But use whatever works in a pinch. Ride on.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I always keep a couple small trash bags and tiny bungee cords in my saddlebags incase I get caught ridin' in the rain.

And, if I don't have my rain gear packed in the saddlebags, I also always have a large trash bag to use as an impromptu rain jacket.
They all take up very little space and if ya ever get caught in the rain w/o rain gear, your mighty glad ya have them!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I always keep a couple small trash bags and tiny bungee cords in my saddlebags incase I get caught ridin' in the rain.

And, if I don't have my rain gear packed in the saddlebags, I also always have a large trash bag to use as an impromptu rain jacket.
They all take up very little space and if ya ever get caught in the rain w/o rain gear, your mighty glad ya have them!!
They crush very nicely in my saddlebags, unlike boots.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"A man has to do what a man has to do". This is the technique I've used on my last couple of trips to the "Dragon" and back. Seems I always hit rain somewhere on that trip, going or coming. One thing about it---one certainly can't beat the price; and that's a big consideration when one is on a "fixed income"!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi, Tech,

Yes I did the repair myself. It's a fairly straight-forward procedure, my main gripe had to do with the amount of time involved and the tear-down required just to get to the thing! This just seemed like too much trouble to replace what is basically a coil of wire that's held on by three Allen-headed bolts! I started thinking about the consequences had this occured a long way from home (luckily, my stator failed 65 miles away and I was able to get back home without a "hitch").

So, I contacted TOC manufacturing, spoke with the "head man", learned of his TWO stator failures on his trip to Alaska and back, and decided to have this modification done to my stator cover just in case this particular problem recurred. Now, if it should, the repair shouldn't take more than a couple of hours.

For the time being, I'm simply hoping that I can rack up as many miles on my machine as you did with your first one.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That sounds very good about the new set up then, did you have to pull the engine originally?
How much was the new TOC SETUP, i'll bet we would all like some of that, and what exactlly did he do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Unfortunately, yes, the engine will have to be at least partially removed from the frame to replace the original stator. Wish I had better news for you, but there it is. The stator cover cannot be pulled off far enough without pulling the engine because there isn't enough clearance for it between the shift lever shaft and the left side frame. Also, the modification costs about $450 over and above the cost of the stator alone. I know this sounds exorbitant, but if one is planning to keep his bike for as long as possible, as I do, then the added cost and peace of mind makes more sense. The thought of being stranded perhaps hundreds of miles from home and having to do a major tear-down of the bike for such a simple problem sent chills down my spine.

I won't try to explain the mod. here. The TOC Manufacturing website has excellent written and pictorial information that far surpasses any attempts made by me.

Now, I hope that sums up the benefits of wearing plastic garbage bags over one's shoes when it rains!!!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, Thankyou twinker, that was a splendid answer, i agree, i think the $500 mark is well worth it, these bikes last as long as any car, sure engines wear out etc, but then you can rebuild, the bike can actually last a lifetime if one wants make that happen.
Just been bagging up the walmart bags, and have new duct tape rolls in my hard saddlebags, ready for tornado season here in Nebraska coming up soon.
When i take them off, i tear them off, so they are only a one time use!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I use walmart plastic bags with duct tape for my rain rides, did not like boots, very clumbsy.
Anybody else tried this??
It creates a few earry looks!! But waterproof shoes!!
I use to do that when I was a kid in New England during winter. It would help keep us dry as we played in the wet, heavy snow. However, clothing technology has come a long way since then and now I prefer Gortex lined boots to duct tape and plastic bags. Although I think that any use of duct tape as a fashionable statement is quite bold and provocative.

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
I try to dodge the plastic bags, especially the ones blowing around on the road, as they sure can play blue blazes on a hot exaust...
Have agood one...Old Dog...

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, it's definatly a fashion statement!
They dont blow around because they are taped tight, also run a bead around my lower knee location, keeps the flapping down which wears off the skin on the legs.
Sure do get some looks,ha ha!!!

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
Fashion statement?

Geez, you guys will spend major money making your bike look like a chrome god, but when it comes to equipment you get cheap.

"Hey honey, look at that geek on the nice bike. Perhaps he stole it...call the police..." LMAO

Sorry. But you can find suitable wetness protection for around 20 bucks and not look like an a homeless guy that stole the bike.
These fold up almost as well as a plastic bag, and even have reflective strips:
http://tinyurl.com/ddtpau

These also won't wear out as fast.. or tear like a plastic bag, or melt like butter if you touch the exhaust pipe briefly.

You should look as good as your bike dude.

KM

·
Kawika
441 Posts
LOL...well-said ^ +1

·
Old Twistie Sticks Rider
5,072 Posts
http://tinyurl.com/ddtpau These also won't wear out as fast.. or tear like a plastic bag, or melt like butter if you touch the exhaust pipe briefly.
You should look as good as your bike dude.KM
Evidently they have never had a plastic bag blow on to their hot exaust, that clean up is one gosh awful job and then it may still look like crap...
Then on the other hand KM, you may have just cost me about $85 + S&H because I also like the 2 piece $63 rain suit to go with the rain booties...
Thanks and have a good one...Old Dog...

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Geez, you guys will spend major money making your bike look like a chrome god, but when it comes to equipment you get cheap.
http://tinyurl.com/ddtpau
I can't stand chrome on my bike, and with the price of a couple plastics bags being totally free (and available virtually anywhere, any time), the money not spent on something like those boot covers could get me many many more miles of happily riding in the rain, even with plain old plastic bags on my feet.
Same goes with my cheap rain suit. If it tears or whatever, no big deal, pitch it out and buy another.
If I were to ride in a place where every day there was a chance of rain, sure, then I might consider something more durable and more expensive,
but for now, I'll stick with my cheap as dirt dry foot protection system. :doh:

·
Super Moderator
11,959 Posts
... but for now, I'll stick with my cheap as dirt dry foot protection system. :doh:

Well, whatever works for you, outside of the melting problem, my real issue (that I did not go into) is safety. How good of grip on the road does the plastic give on wet asphalt? The idea of putting my foot down at a stoplight and slipping...perhaps not just dropping the bike but spraining my ankle..makes the "plastic bag" option more of an "emergency" fix rather than sound preparation.

The only good option here would be oil resistant non-slip soles on sturdy waterproof boots...but these will cost much more than boot covers.

At least wear the bags on the inside of your boots and I will promise not to laugh then.

And not to sound like I am beyond such practice...in the winter I use plastic bags over my socks , not so much for the waterproofing..but to make it easier to pull my boots on while wearing thick socks. I however use bread bags, not Wal-mart bags, as the later sometimes have holes torn in the bottom and are not as "form fitting" as the bread bag.
If someone asks why my feet say "Wonder" on them when I pull my boots off, I just say I got them from Ricky Bobby.......................

KM

1 - 20 of 33 Posts