Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
REDRIDER
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Vulcan 750 that has 16,000 miles. Never really had a problem until last month. I set it up for the winter in my garage. Added gas and a stabalizer (sea foam), change the oil and put the battery on a trickle charger. Yes it got cold this year in Arkansas. I clean the plugs, changed the oil, drain the carburators and gas tank and put in new gas. When I tried to start, the engine sputtered for a few seconds then would not start. I took it to my local Kawasaki dealer. He checked it out and said the compression was bad. Sprayed oil in and compression was higg but then started going down. He said I needed to rings. Anyone have a simplier solution to freeing the piston rings (if that is the problem) without spending $800-$1000 to fix?

·
Registered
458 Posts
There is seafoam thats in a spray can with a spray tube like WD-40. Wonder if that would work if you took the plugs out and sprayed it in the cyl's

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Rebuild it your self It could be a fun challenge.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
I'd have someone else double check the compression. A well maintained bike with that few miles shouldn't have compression issues.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I'd have someone else double check the compression. A well maintained bike with that few miles shouldn't have compression issues.
X2 You should have noticed any problems before you put it in storage. Our bikes here are in storage about 6 months a year, with no problems from that.

·
REDRIDER
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
piston rings

I bought a can of the sea foam(spray). I will try that first. I need to get a tool to test the compression myself. The bike was running fine before I set it for the winter.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
X3. Piston rings do not wear while in storage. you normaly would have had excessive smoke issues before storing if it was rings,,as said by the other two,,i'd investigate further before accepting its a ring issue. good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts