Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping to get enough time to do all this tomorrow. Got my V&H exhaust three weeks ago, new ProTac back rest, new overflow bottle to replace my JB Weld repaired one, my moly 60 and am hoping to get it all done tomorrow. Been working 6 day weeks, close to 70 hours/week for several weeks now. I'm tired as I can be and my day off usually consists of sleeping in, and then moping around until it cools off enough in the evening to mow, trim and start the sprinklers. So hopefully I can squeeze the vulcan into my day off plans.

It's been too hot for riding so I haven't even tested my protac yet. I took Tuesday off and I'm hoping to get on the bike early and get some long overdue riding done before it starts boiling the asphalt! I'm so ready for my riding season (September-June) to start again! :cool:

·
Registered
721 Posts
your riding season is my snow season, lol... UP of Michigan... I'll be jealous hearing your stories here while I am stuck in 5-10 feet of snow :-(

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
99 I feel your pain all the way from Alaska!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got all of it done but the overflow bottle, which I forgot, but it won't take but a few minutes when I get to it. Had to take her for a ride, sweating like a horse, but I enjoyed it anyway. It's still in the 90's and it's 10pm. Pipes are a little loud, but it sounds more like a v-twin now for sure. Nice and smooth though.

Splines were still in tip top shape, still had quite a bit of moly in there, and no sign of wear in the last 12k miles since the last lube job. It felt good to see them in that kind of shape.

The pipes were pretty easy to install. Really good fit and great hardware made to fit perfect. They look great and I especially like the matching length of the pipes. I never thought the staggered length of the stock pipes looked quite right.

The backrest mounts are fighting my Highway Hawk saddlebag guards where they mount to the bike. I will have to do a little mod to the bag guards to get the protac mounts to aim back the right angle. Right now, the mounts are holding the back rest too upright and making me sit too far forward. I think I can take the grinder to the bag guard mount and smooth off the edge giving the protac mount room to pivot back to the right angle. That should make a big difference in how the backrest feels.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Nice to hear you were finally able to give the bike some attention and get a ride in.
I too have been working a good bit of overtime, getting parts made for a big machine show in Chicago sometime around Sept., but not quite the 70 hrs/week you've been doing.
If you need it, I'm sure we could get a petition made up, with a ton of signatures, getting you some well deserved time off!! :smiley_th LOL

Good luck getting the backrest issue straightened out.

·
Registered
802 Posts
The temps down here do make for a warm ride. Went out for a bit yesterday morning, before it got up to 106º. Just left the bike in the driveway, and figured I'd move it later. Seat was nice and toasty when I moved it later.

Hopefully, we'll be down in the 90's soon.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took today off to get some riding in and finish the bike. It's been raining since I got out of bed. I ain't complaining, we need the rain. But it figures.
I got the bag guard mounts ground off where the Protac mounts can sit at the right angle and that seems to have made it perfect. I'll know when I get a ride in, maybe later this afternoon. Got my overflow bottle replaced and cleaned up the bike a little. Now all I need is a ride.

Hopefully I'll get a few photos shot today and uploaded. I should know better than to do mods without photos!:rockon:

·
Addicted to Projects
545 Posts
Looks nice

·
Registered
236 Posts
Looks good fergy, I put some V&H cruzers on my '00 a few months ago too. They take a little getting used to but I wouldn't go back to stock now for anything. IMO they make our bikes look and sound much better than stock.

I've got the protac backrest on my wish list, but for now I've been using your cooler on the passenger seat idea for back support. It doesn't look as good as the protac, but for $10 it's hard to go wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts