Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
bignasty
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2002 750 Vulcan, its been 20 yrs since I had a bike. My question is can i run straight pipes or do i need mufflers? Will I burn up the valves?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Pipes

This bike comes with a tuned exhaust system. It won't idle right with straight pipes. There are after market exhaust systems available. Some disagreement on rejeting. I myself am not a loud person so I am happy with the stock system. I'm sure you will get more advice from other members of this forum. I really like my VN750.

Mcneuby

·
2FAS4U
469 Posts
I bought one with straight pipes on it,was extremely hard to keep it running right, even after multiple carb tuning.
I have the Vance & Hines on 2 bikes and love them. Never had to re-jet. I like the look of 1 pipe per side like stock.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
If it has the pre-muffler on it you can run it with that alone and it won't be loud. Remove that and put straight pipes on it and you'll probably have issues both with the bike and the rest of the living.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You can run straights but there's a few hitches. One the goats belly has to go two it is really loud (which I like since people still tend to not notice me lol) three you will need to rejet, four the pipes need to match in length which requires the left to be crossed over which to do simply means bye bye center stand. Fifth would be you'll need someone to weld the peices of tube to the headers etc. Finally unless you're dumping a lot of cash on good polished welds and shiny tubes then you'll need to wrap the pipes so it doesn't look like pooh. Also you may need to rebalance the carbs as the pressure will be changing.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
I was heading this route myself, thinking loud pipes would be cool.....but decided to keep the goat's belly simply because I believe it maintains better back pressure. The engine simply runs better with the GB in place. With the GB in place and no mufflers, the bike is loud, but has a nice deep tone to it. I kept the stock mufflers and simply drilled the back plate of the baffle with 4 holes in each. I like the tone and it is not obnoxiously loud on the highway. If I wanted it even louder, I could remove the inner mesh that is in the mufflers as well.

·
bignasty
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I am a welder. But any how do n't wanna put too much in this bike. Paid 1400 for it and already replaced the wire harness and ordered a new tank. Next paint and bars. The pipes sound good, just on a budget

1 - 8 of 8 Posts