Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
****UPDATE: 09-07-2007 - See Post 14 for Before and After Pictures of the Wheel Paint Job.****

My bike is 23 years old and the forks looked like crap. The clear coat they put on the natural aluminum was becoming brittle and yellowish and the sticker on the side is just a eyesore. So...I sanded the forks and painted them! I used Plasti-Kote Classic Lacquer - Gloss Black. I had to special order it, however, it's amazing stuff. The job came out beyond expectations, my advice is to take your time and do it right, if you plan on doing the same.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Next, the wheels are going all flat black. I am using the same brand paint, just in... flat black. It's really not rocket surgery, and it looks great.

·
Registered
185 Posts
:pepper: Thank you for sharing! Riding is a lot of fun. Polishing chrome is no fun. :( I'd like to repaint every peice of chrome, and aluminum on my bike so I can just spray water, soap, maybe a little spray on whipe off polish and be done.

I have an 86. It was not abused but neglected by the last 2 owners. They didnt ride it much, and they did maintainence, upkeep, and TLC even less. I still have a lot fo rusted bits. When I first got it, my wife, son, and myself got after it, rubbing all over every metal part with steel wool. It looks a lot better but it still has some lack luster aspects, and trying to keep up with prevention of rerusting is a pain.

I'd like to see the whole bike, handlebars, forks, pipes, aluminum, EVERYTHING possible, painted black..........

do I hear a rolling stones song in that?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j4XSAX7bWg

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
Looks great - and another "vote" for gloss black on the wheels - keeping em clean will be easier that way.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Looks really nice!
Glad to see I'm not the only one who isn't all that into the chrome & shiny look!

·
239 Posts
Really nice,looks great

·
Registered
123 Posts
Nice work, looks good. :smiley_th
I did the same to my '86 VN's forks, along with a few other bits and pieces.
I'm not into shiny chrome parts either. :cool:

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,731 Posts
forks look nice, good job. i also would go with the gloss on the wheels. like i always say; "chrome keeps you home!" i think the harley guys are starting to understand that and are now "blacking out" some of there newer bikes. i was never really into the "chrome" thing.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
The paint looks good. Did you do anything else special to prep the metal for the paint? Or just spray it on after sanding? You might consider a satin or semi-gloss finish on the wheels instead of flat or high gloss.

·
Registered
553 Posts
To tell you the truth I was expecting to open this thread and say "OMG" that is just another cheap spraycan job but Damn! that looks good. Semi-gloss would get my vote on the wheels also but looks like you know what your doing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks sick. I just powder coated mine flat black and gloss red, looks sick. I was thinking of powder coating the forks too and was thinking black, but now im sold on the idea, thanks man.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the comments and feedback guys. I never really considered gloss black wheels, until now. I have given the idea much though and came to the conclusion that I will paint them flat and if they don’t look good, I will paint them gloss or a semi-gloss. Either way, I will post the results and you can tell me what you think.

To answer some of your questions, I did only use the Gloss Black paint, no primer and no clear coat. This doesn’t mean they should not or should never be used, however. Each situation needs to be evaluated for its own circumstances. This was a raw aluminum painting surface, which I know doesn’t really require the use of primer. The goal of this mod was low cost, and that goal was achieved effectively. If I were painting the tank or fenders, that would be a different story.

To do the job for the best possible results, use Plasti-Kote Classic Lacquer, Part #s 337 (Gray Sandable Primer), 340 (Gloss Black) and 349 (Clear).

I am unable to go into detail on how to make a paint job come out looking great, however, here are a few tips.

Sand down to the bare aluminum.

Do three light coats of paint, waiting 10 minutes between each.

Do not touch the paint under any circumstances for a week!

After a week, take a terry cloth rag and some scratch remover (any auto parts store) and very carefully and gently rub the whole application area down. I can’t stress enough to be careful doing this. So you know, scratch remover is an abrasive that will remove your paint if you do it too hard or too much, but just enough will leave it looking great!

I will post the wheel job when it’s done. If any of you have pictures of custom paint jobs you’ve done, I would love to see them. One easy way to do so is to use a website called www.photobucket.com it’s free and easy. It will give you an IMG Code to paste into the message and the photo pops up when people open it.

-Adam

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pictures of Wheel newly painted!

As promised, here are the pictures of the wheel job I completed last night. As you can see, after much debate I decided to paint the wheel just as it was stock, as opposed to painting the entire wheel one solid color. I am very happy with the results, even though it was more work. Enjoy!

Before:

After:

Fork & Wheel:

·
. . "Boricua" Rider . .
133 Posts
Congratulations man! You did a nice job. :smiley_th I though that a glossy finish would be better, but flat looks perfect. Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Bengie (kawabengie)

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Looks REAL good! Sharp looking combo with the wheel and forks. Good job too!

·
Registered
321 Posts
great job getting me thinking but i don't know if I'd have the patience for it lol

·
239 Posts
Great job on the paint. Thats the same way my Kaw ltd 550 rims were painted stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Those forks look great!:smiley_th The only thing that worries me is, Where does your inspection sticker go? In my neck of the woods they put it aprox. right where your original Kawi sticker was.....and I'm pretty sure the yahoos' that inspect bikes around here would totally scratch the @#*! out of that nice paint when trying to remove an old sticker.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd be extremely upset to have an inspection sticker stuck anywhere on my bike! In Louisiana, you just keep the sticker with you insurance and registration paperwork and if asked you present everything all at once.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts