Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Well, I purchase the Metzler ME 880 Marathon tires and since I had both stock and the upsized tires available I snapped a few shots for comparison.

Front - Upsize 110/90 - 19 on the left; Stock 100/90 - 19 on the right

Rear - Upsize 170/80 - 15 on the left; Stock 150/90 - 15 on the right

Reactions: VIVERE175

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Both the front and rear oversize tires do look noticeably wider than the oem sizes.

The front oversize does also appear enough taller to account for the reported correction of the speedometer.

My calculations of the diameter and circumference of the OEM and oversize rear tires indicate they are almost identical.
These pictures also seem to verify those calculations. :smiley_th

Thanks for the pics Duece. Very informative.

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
... worth viewing 4 sure..... very educational w/ our own eyeballs !

tyvn Duece

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... worth viewing 4 sure..... very educational w/ our own eyeballs !

tyvn Duece
I've read up on them and seen them on other bikes but never saw a side by side comparison and thought it would be valuable to many who are thinking about upsizing. BTW, the tires make the bike feel more stable both riding straight and handling curves.

Reactions: VIVERE175

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Niiiice !!!!

I REALLY like the visual look from the side of that Metz ! Its just dang purdy ! :smiley_th

·
Registered
54 Posts
Thanks for the info and pics, really helped me decide on the larger Metzeler tires for my bike. Already did front tire, lots of life left in rear tire, may be a while before I get the larger Metzeler there.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
in the last pic be sure to take that part off the rim with the 7 holes in it and lube it up with moly 60 as well as the drive splines before reinstalling! there is a snapring that holds it in!

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
in the last pic be sure to take that part off the rim with the 7 holes in it and lube it up with moly 60 as well as the drive splines before reinstalling! there is a snapring that holds it in!
Lube was completely done prior to installation of rear wheel. :smiley_th

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
You got your 150's in man? How's it run????

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I have ME880s, but in the stock size, which IMO are already two big, especially the rear. My Harley Road King has a 130/90-16 rear tire, but the outside diameter is no bigger than the 150/90-15 on the Vulcan, and it is noticeably narrower. The stock rear tire on my 1985 Goldwing is the same as the Vulcan 750, 150/90-15, but the GW is way bigger. The 150/90-15 just looks out of proportion compared to the size of the Vulcan. I think the 130/90-16 would look much nicer. To me, the sidewall on the Vulcan's rear tire just looks too wide, like something that goes on a dragster. One of the things I loved about '70s bikes were the narrower tires and larger diameter rims, especially the rear. I also like the look of the Mean Streak, with it's 17" diameter rear rim and narrow sidewall. To bad it has to be so slow. Kawasaki should have put an inline four in it.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
This post was super helpful in me picking the size of my new tires. Up-sized all the way around for me.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Ok, I need to learn up here before I get a ticket. I just upgraded from stock to 110/90-19 in the front and 170/80-15 in the back. I notice the revs are higher now and I thought they were supposed to be LOWER. I must be speeding all over the place or something is wrong. How far off is my speedo?

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The speedometer is read off the front tire so the rear doesnt change it at all, just the engine rpm's per mph. On the tire size, the first number is the wideth is millimeters, second is the tire height is mm's, third is the wheel size in inches. The second number on the rear went lower which means you put a smaller diameter tire on, hence raising the rmp of the rear tire as the front stays the same. The wider the tire the lower the height is regardless if the wheel wideth stay the same. But as for the how far off is the speedometer, mine is 5 mph off at 55 acording to my GPS.

·
Registered
322 Posts
The speedometer is read off the front tire so the rear doesnt change it at all, just the engine rpm's per mph. On the tire size, the first number is the wideth is millimeters, second is the tire height is mm's, third is the wheel size in inches. The second number on the rear went lower which means you put a smaller diameter tire on, hence raising the rmp of the rear tire as the front stays the same. The wider the tire the lower the height is regardless if the wheel wideth stay the same. But as for the how far off is the speedometer, mine is 5 mph off at 55 acording to my GPS.
Thank you - ok well in Deuce's picture the back 170 looked a hair taller than the 150 - so my confusion must be coming from that 5mph you informed me about. I think that clears it up! Thanks again!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
On the speedo drive wheel, whenever you gho a larger OD, it will lower your read MPH...ie the tire makes fewer rotations to travel the same distance. A slight increase in OD on the VN would probably compensate for the existing error, but going TOO large an OD would cause the speedo to read slower than actual.
I used to stop by local area speed trap officers and ask em to clock me....once at 30, once at 45, once at 55....most local cops will do it for ya.

·
Registered
322 Posts
On the speedo drive wheel, whenever you gho a larger OD, it will lower your read MPH...ie the tire makes fewer rotations to travel the same distance. A slight increase in OD on the VN would probably compensate for the existing error, but going TOO large an OD would cause the speedo to read slower than actual.
I used to stop by local area speed trap officers and ask em to clock me....once at 30, once at 45, once at 55....most local cops will do it for ya.
Hmmm..... good idea asking the local boys to hit me with radar. Thanks!

My main issue here in moving to bigger tires is getting lower RPMs at the same speeds (better gas mileage), but with both gauges moving in different directions I became confused to the success/failure. :zzz: That radar idea should be helpful. Thanks, guys!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts