Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got the yard work caught up this weekend. So I finally got started on my bike. Here's the story, bought a 2002 Vulcan last year that was wrecked. (Very Cheap) Bent forks, then later found out bent frame.:doh: So, buying bits here and there over the winter, I ended up with a nice frame. Anyhoo, got the engine swapped over today. One man job, 2.5 hours. :pepper:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
I got the yard work caught up this weekend. So I finally got started on my bike. Here's the story, bought a 2002 Vulcan last year that was wrecked. (Very Cheap) Bent forks, then later found out bent frame.:doh: So, buying bits here and there over the winter, I ended up with a nice frame. Anyhoo, got the engine swapped over today. One man job, 2.5 hours. :pepper:
Nice-looking engine! Wow! And only 2.5 hours?! That must be a record.

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Added More Pics,(Had to resize)

I found out that it's easier to install the engine with it sitting on the floor. You can slide the frame over the top of it. Then I used a hoist to put it on the lift.

I didn't find any critters Cindy, but if I do, I'll send them your way. ;-)

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Added More Pics,(Had to resize)

I found out that it's easier to install the engine with it sitting on the floor. You can slide the frame over the top of it. Then I used a hoist to put it on the lift.

I didn't find any critters Cindy, but if I do, I'll send them your way. ;-)
He he - I'm all about insecticide these days. :) Looks like you have the swingarm covers intact on the new frame as well? Good get!!

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Just a few more nuts & bolts to go !! LOL

Hope it all goes as well as the engine install did :smiley_th

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
No pics this weekend. It was too cold to do much. 27' Saturday morning. Burrrr... So later in the afternoon when it hit 45'......

Installed front end
Front Wheel
Greased Splines
Installed Final Drive
Installed Shocks

Then it started to get cold again so I called it a day.

Sunday/Warmer around noon it was 45' so to the shed I went.

Installed rear wheel
Rear Brakes
Wiring harness
Battery Box
Foot Pegs
Handlebars
Levers
Radiator
Headlight
Rear Fender
Started Making Electrical Connections and Deciding where to mount the R/R

Then made sure I had locktite on everything and torqued all the bolts as per the service manual.....

It's a roller.........Hope to crank her next weekend, but we'll see.......

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I need to retitle this "Build or Bust"

Finished all the wiring today, Installed exhaust, Put in battery...Try to crank, Turns over but will not catch. I don't think I'm getting fuel to the carbs. I checked the lines coming from the petcock and they were almost dry. (Yes, Gas in tank, and Petcock is on) I checked for spark and I'm good there. Thunderstorm came up and I came back in the house. In the morning I will check to see if I have gas in the bowls. Possible bad petcock, no vacuum? Any more suggestions??? Ideas??? Prayers???

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
quick way to test the petcock - hook up an appropriately sized syringe (or mityvac or...) to the petcock, see if fuel flows. If fuel flows, you know the problem lies elsewhere... if not, it might be petcock rebuild (or at least clean) time.

Good luck!

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
keep in mind the engine must crank to open the petcock so fuel can flow into carbs... crank it for a few seconds to get a vacume.... and then let it sit for 10 mins, and try again, wait if needed....

·
Registered
415 Posts
All I have to offer are my prayers and well wishes. Good luck sorting it out.:smiley_th

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Narrowed it down to no fuel through the petcock.(I think) Rumbles to live and Idles great on an IV. Any cautions on a taking a petcock apart?

·
Stranger Than Fiction
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, Took the petcock apart. One word....EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Is that word??? Soaking in the parts cleaner........

Sorry for the play by play, I'm getting excited.....

·
Registered
415 Posts
No apologies needed. It gives us all something to read! I for one like hearing about others progress.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Good Deal!!!! :smiley_th

1 - 16 of 16 Posts