Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spent several hours changing the oil and filter. While I was at it also adjusted the electrical pickups in the stator area. On first checking the clearance they were about 35 thousands so going by the thread I had read almost a year ago said they should be about 20 to 25 thousands of an inch.
It really was not that hard with the right tools. Instead of grinding off the little tab on the bottom,I just took a little off the let it move forward on both pickups. Filed the holes so it would have room to move. After all that reset the gaps to about 25 thousands. I did all this because I was having hot starting problems, I have a AGM battery and the iridium plugs but still was having trouble starting when hot. If I would let it cool down for about 20 minutes it would start. Just took it out for a small ride and then came home to try the hot start and it fired right up after letting it set for a short time. Tried it severel times and it started up like a champ. Maybe no more hard starting after stopping to get gas on a long trip, or one of those rest stops.

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Just spent several hours changing the oil and filter. While I was at it also adjusted the electrical pickups in the stator area. On first checking the clearance they were about 35 thousands so going by the thread I had read almost a year ago said they should be about 20 to 25 thousands of an inch.
It really was not that hard with the right tools. Instead of grinding off the little tab on the bottom,I just took a little off the let it move forward on both pickups. Filed the holes so it would have room to move. After all that reset the gaps to about 25 thousands. I did all this because I was having hot starting problems, I have a AGM battery and the iridium plugs but still was having trouble starting when hot. If I would let it cool down for about 20 minutes it would start. Just took it out for a small ride and then came home to try the hot start and it fired right up after letting it set for a short time. Tried it severel times and it started up like a champ. Maybe no more hard starting after stopping to get gas on a long trip, or one of those rest stops.

You should also notice improved throttle response, since I did mine I've never had a hot hard start problem.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lance, I was really surprised as how large the gaps where when I first checked them. I will be taking a longer ride today and check a few times by stopping and see if it easily starts on each stop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts