Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so I can't get the automotive alternator idea out of my head. I've been thinking about it off & on for a while & the recent rekindle of it has me wondering....

The pickup's pull their signal off the rotor. Does the stator assist in anyway to the signal the pickup's receive?
I've never tried to run the bike with out a stator in it.
If it will run then I think an external alternator could be possible.
I'm toying with some ideas.

Thanks for any thoughts here.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think I had my stator unplugged and the bike was still idling fine. I don't think the stator has to be there for the pickups to work.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Yeah the stator is definitely not required for the engine to run. The pickups work off the rotor's magnetism.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Yeah, this idea has been kicked around for quite a while; see here for a taste. I'd be real excited to see someone do this on the vn750. Let me know if you're going to try it - I'd like to talk to you about it.

There's a guy who did the same mod on a couple of VN1500 police bikes. Search for D-Ray on YouTube.

One note: I would think a light-weight chain would be appropriate to drive the alternator because it requires less lateral force than a v-belt sheave. This may be easier on the new transition shaft's oil seal.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Seeing how that guy did it, I figure its just a matter of matching pieces. The mount for the rotor already has the place fora shaft/ bolt like the fella had made. Then it's finding the oil seal & making the appropriate hole.
I think a v-belt pulpy is still going to be the simplest as most the 1 wire mini alternators I've looked at are a v groove.

What it all really hinges on is the size of the alternator as I'm figuring it will mount above the bevel gear in front of exhaust.

I'm not ready to jump on it. But I'm figuring out what needs to be done.

Oh, on the chain. The shaft that would hold the drive pully is probably going to be 1" to 3/4".
I can't imagine much flex from that.
He'll, it's all a work in progress.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts