Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Captive New Yorker....
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just about to put my side cover back on after a stator replacement, and noticed that one of the wires on one of the pickup coils has a small break in the insulation right up at the coil. Should I get all new coils? Not sure if this is something that can be corrected.

Also, if necessary, has anyone replaced the coils without having to pull the engine from the frame and removing the cover like it says in the manual?.

Thanks......

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
It might be possible to replace them without removal of the engine. You could always do the partial where you simply start to remove the engine. When it's far enough out to get that botom pesky bolt past the frame, you're good.

If you've already got your side cover off, aren't you pretty much there anyway? Or have you done the tuxedo mod to the cover?

Either way, I have an extra set of used pickup coils I got with a stator purchase if your interested. $20 + Shipping, should be cheap at there's not much weight to them.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i have replaced my pick up coils on my 750 once by removing all screws and carefully prying cover back just enough to work wires thru, i had to replace them again but the second time i just cut wires inside cover and spliced wires togetherwith connectors and heat shrink, the bike works great.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
i cut the wires inside the cover then soldered a 4 pin connector onto the ends, and coiled the excess wire from the new wires inside the stator cover.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It might be possible to replace them without removal of the engine. You could always do the partial where you simply start to remove the engine. When it's far enough out to get that botom pesky bolt past the frame, you're good.

If you've already got your side cover off, aren't you pretty much there anyway? Or have you done the tuxedo mod to the cover?

Either way, I have an extra set of used pickup coils I got with a stator purchase if your interested. $20 + Shipping, should be cheap at there's not much weight to them.
Are the pickup coils still for sale?

·
Diesel Tech
136 Posts
i cut the wires inside the cover then soldered a 4 pin connector onto the ends
Bingo. Its a huge waste to pull the engine for some wires, especially if the harness pass-through isn't leaking.
I wouldn't even bother with a connector, just solder the wires together.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Reactions: TR_Irish
1 - 8 of 8 Posts