Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Young but not dumb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a start up issue im trying to solve. It has been happening ever since i bought the bike and have read it seems kind of normal(besides the mod to fix it). I have a brand new gel cell battery and NGK iridium spark plugs installed. Cold starts a whole lot better, first time everytime but the hot start is driving me crazy. So after some reading through the forum it seems the pickup coil mod might just help me and i just want to make sure i do this right, so i just want to verify something about it.

In the pictures of the mod it shows a modified end and unmodified end, but am i correct in assuming you do modify both sides of the pickup coil bracket? Just want to make sure i wont be screwing anything up by accident. Seems pretty easy though..thanks for any advice on the mod

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I have a start up issue im trying to solve. It has been happening ever since i bought the bike and have read it seems kind of normal(besides the mod to fix it). I have a brand new gel cell battery and NGK iridium spark plugs installed. Cold starts a whole lot better, first time everytime but the hot start is driving me crazy. So after some reading through the forum it seems the pickup coil mod might just help me and i just want to make sure i do this right, so i just want to verify something about it.

In the pictures of the mod it shows a modified end and unmodified end, but am i correct in assuming you do modify both sides of the pickup coil bracket? Just want to make sure i wont be screwing anything up by accident. Seems pretty easy though..thanks for any advice on the mod
Both ends. That's how I did mine

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
To be honest the picture has me confused as well, and the accompanying text isn't that helpful either!

I personally don't have hot start issues, but I was curious to do it anyways. I ended up being confused by the post and abandoning it.

·
Young but not dumb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well if both sides worked for you then i guess thats what i'll do when i get a chance. The pictures help understand the mod better but the directions could be a little clearer or just a little more info about it. Thanks anyway :smiley_th

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
Well if both sides worked for you then i guess thats what i'll do when i get a chance. The pictures help understand the mod better but the directions could be a little clearer or just a little more info about it. Thanks anyway :smiley_th
You're welcome. In a previous mod the locating nubs were removed and the plate slid over. This way is a little easier.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
YES! both ends of the bracket get modified (on both pickups)...the gap should be even from end to end of the magnet.

I did this mod before new iridium plugs and before AGM battery and it absolutely improved the hot starts! with the plugs and battery and the mod, the bike starts every time with the slightest blip of the start button. I am a believer in this mod!

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18550&highlight=pick+up+coil+mod
Boy, do I feel like a slow learner now. :doh:

After reading the several threads on this topic, and seeing the color diagram in the link above, I had always thought the bracket only got modified on one end.

It certainly makes more sense to modify both ends so the pickup coil is parallel to the rotor magnet along its whole length, instead of being closer on one end.

Just goes to show that an old dog, or in this case an OlHoss, CAN learn new tricks. :smiley_th

Thanks to k-aultz for asking the question, all the rest of you for responding, and once again to Roach for confirming how a procedure is done on one of his videos. :smiley_th:lockd:

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18550&highlight=pick+up+coil+mod
Boy, do I feel like a slow learner now. :doh:

After reading the several threads on this topic, and seeing the color diagram in the link above, I had always thought the bracket only got modified on one end.

It certainly makes more sense to modify both ends so the pickup coil is parallel to the rotor magnet along its whole length, instead of being closer on one end.

Just goes to show that an old dog, or in this case an OlHoss, CAN learn new tricks. :smiley_th

Thanks to k-aultz for asking the question, all the rest of you for responding, and once again to Roach for confirming how a procedure is done on one of his videos. :smiley_th:lockd:
Just when you thought you were done. Now go out and wrench on your scoot! Hahahahaha

·
Young but not dumb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey no problem, I had to make sure i was going to do it right. I assumed doing both holes for both brackets was the way to go, but you dont know till youw ask!:smiley_th And thank you everyone for the answers

·
Registered
191 Posts
Anyone have any problem getting the cover off? I was going to do this the other day and all 3 screws are locked down tight. tried the impact driver but didn't want to hit it too hard.. I wanted to also try a drill on a low setting.. thinking the clutch might work them out like a hammer drill but haven't had time to get back on it..

·
Young but not dumb
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did mine yesterday and surprisingly no, my screws came out pretty easy. I assumed it would have been harder but maybe i just got lucky. I do have to say that Mod did work and hot starts are no problem:beerchug:

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Anyone have any problem getting the cover off? I was going to do this the other day and all 3 screws are locked down tight. tried the impact driver but didn't want to hit it too hard.. I wanted to also try a drill on a low setting.. thinking the clutch might work them out like a hammer drill but haven't had time to get back on it..
Some times those screws are the toughest part.The Impact driver usually does the trick, Make sure you have the correct sized bit,well at least as close to correct as you can get,JIS screwdrivers are hard enough to come by much less bits for an impact driver.You'll probably have to give it a pretty good rap to break them loose ,it is a combination of the little seal on the screw sticking to the aluminum and the corrosion between the steel screw and aluminum case that causes the problem. After they move a little let em soak a few minutes with penetrating oil and they will thread out easier.

K-Aultz said
I do have to say that Mod did work and hot starts are no problem
This is where most people would say"I told you so" ,but I won't ;)

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Soooooo, if my math/conversion is close, means yer really only moving them in about 1/64" ????

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Soooooo, if my math/conversion is close, means yer really only moving them in about 1/64" ????
seems that owners who do this mod are reporting all kinds of factory gap settings. Mine were .035" from the factory and are now set at .020" and have completely cured the hot start problems.

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Pick up coil lead came out

Lead from one pick up coil came out. Had 1/16" wire exposed. Stuck it back in. Bike starts and runs like new. Iam concerned the lead may come out enroute. What holds the wire in? The coil is a sealed unit.
Thanks
Wicker

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Id put a lil JB Weld on it right where the wire goes in. That should hold it.

·
wicker san antonio
92 Posts
Sounds like good idea. I am thinking about building up the end with solder, enough that it wedges in tight. What do you think?
Ww

·
Registered
450 Posts
YES! both ends of the bracket get modified (on both pickups)...the gap should be even from end to end of the magnet.

I did this mod before new iridium plugs and before AGM battery and it absolutely improved the hot starts! with the plugs and battery and the mod, the bike starts every time with the slightest blip of the start button. I am a believer in this mod!
Gap should be even from end to end...messes me up,no "gauges" only the 'ol eyeball!!:(

1 - 20 of 26 Posts