Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:smiley_th:smiley_th

Did the pickup coil mod today to help with the hot start problem. Both coils were greater than .80mm so I gave it a try. Washington state finally got some warm weather so the hot start issue was returning. For those of you who have not done it yet, I rate it as 'easy' to do.

Very little oil dripped out after removing the stator side cover (I use 4L of oil) no worries there. The screws holding the pickup coils were not as difficult as I was prepared for; they came off easily w/o the need for anything more than a cross head screwdriver.

Once off, I nipped off the nub on the stator side with crimping pliers. The nub came off easy then cleaned up the remainder with a small chisel.

To elongate the screw hole, I used a chain saw file as others have done. The metal is so soft, took me about a minute to do each hole - Would have taken me longer to find my Dremel with the correct size stone.

I adjusted the gap to .45mm, reassembled, and started up the bike. It fired right up. For the real test, I rode my son down to the local mini mart (5 miles) to get some well deserved chips and a coke. Lately, this stop would have warmed up the engine enough to cause a hot start issue but not today. The engine started right up again-smiles-:)

Returning home, bike fully warmed up, I shut it off, let it set for a few seconds (worse time to try to restart) then pushed the starter button anticipating a loud backfire. Again :) It started right up, almost as easy as my GL500 Honda - now I'm impressed.

This weekend will be in the 90's (hey, that's hot for here) and I plan on a long ride with my bro on his Triumph 900 perhaps around the Olympic Peninsula 300+ miles. I'll follow up with results.

THANK YOU ALL VN750 members who have done this mod with good results.

·
Member? ... check.
515 Posts
Glad you had great success with the mod. Sounds like you did it the same way I did. It truely is in my personnal top ten mods for the VN750. :smiley_th

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
Just did this mod an hour ago. She fired up quicker than normal. So far, so good.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Went out today, couldn't wait for the weekend. Did the St. Helen's ride with several stops to challenge the hot start issue in 80+ degree weather. Nice ride, 4,000 foot elevation climb in 37 miles so it does push our little bikes a bit.

I made 3 stops, each time resting not more than 10 minutes. The bike started easily every time. At the 4,000 foot stop, I had to push the starter twice, but that's far better than before the coil adjustment. The engine seemed to pull the hills better; I was able to make most of the trip in 5th gear w/o down shifting.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
:smiley_th:smiley_th

Did the pickup coil mod today to help with the hot start problem

I adjusted the gap to .45mm,

Just curious. Why .45 gap ? Most of the coil mods were done at .18-.20 gap.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
.45mm not inches. My feeler gauge is metric so .45mm = 0.018"

Everyone should do this - I suspect the factory settings are to satisfy emissions, not performance.

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
.45mm not inches. My feeler gauge is metric so .45mm = 0.018"

Everyone should do this - I suspect the factory settings are to satisfy emissions, not performance.
Should have noticed that. Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had problem when starting with the hot engine. Yesterday I did the pick up coil mod and at least the bike started quicker than before with a cold engine...

The spring has started in Finland but the temperature is still around zero celsius i.e. no driving yet, so I can't yet say how it is now with the hot start. Hoping the best :smiley_th because the hot start problem has been very annoying.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts