Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

101 - 113 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Clearancing the pickup coils has been a commonly referred to modification that seemed to be lacking some pics, so I took a few while I was doing the job this weekend...

In expectation of dribbling oil when the cover cam off, I put a piece of foil around the bike to prevent leaks onto undesired places. (VERY little oil actually leaked out...)

Next is to remove the three screws holding the cover on. On my bike, these screws were tight (!) and I used a phillips bit in a 1/4 drive socket to break them free. The cover was also a bit glued in place and I had to rap the cover with the handle of a screwdriver repeatedly to break it free and wiggle it off. Here is the cover showing the three screws, the cover, and their respective oring seals:

With the cover removed, you can now access the two pickup coils held on by two phillips screws each:

Instead of knocking off the inner most nub that locates the pickup coil, I decided to clearance the coil bracket hole and inner most edge with a burr bit in my cordless dremel to allow a tighter clearance. In this pic, the upper coil had been modified, but the lower hasn't:

Here's a diagram of modifications made to the coil bracket courtesy of my drarwing skills and MS Paint. The upper hole represents the modification, and the lower hole is unmodified:

This is a close-up shot of the modified bracket. Notice the little space between the bracket and outer locating nub:

I set both coils to 0.020" as described in the text write-up and the difference was certainly worth the effort.

Reassembly is opposite of removal. Hopes this helps visualize everything. Total time involved was less than an hour...

Cheers,
;)

So where exactly do you set the .020” or .018” gap at? The bottom one is out in the middle of nowhere. I modified the top and bottom of the tops screw holes, and I have the feeler gauge, but the most basic question of what am I supposed to gap is left lingering

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
The gap between the magnet on the rotor and the face of the pickup coil.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The gap between the magnet on the rotor and the face of the pickup coil.

And you modify all four holes? The drawing I thought referenced what the plug looked like before and after. Is this where I set the .018 or .020 gap at? Because that bottom one was huge, like 1/4”.

·
Registered
273 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Widen all four holes?

It looks like some people have been doing two, but four should make them sit equal distance to the rotor. Not sure I haven't done this mod.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Either I am retarded, or most of these steps leave a bit to imagination. The bottom one is much farther away, so it doesn’t make sense to me.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
the photo in the post above is labeled incorrectly....the rotor magnet is towards the center.

Rotate the rotor untill you see the magnet come close to the pickup....set the gap closer than it was by moving the plate towards the center.
you grind both ends of the plate and elongate both holes to move the plate evenly towards the center.
Found this, post #66 in this thread.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Found this, post #66 in this thread.

Thank you! I’ll finish this tonight. It still seems like the bottom one is further away

·
Registered
23 Posts
2004 650 Vulcan battery discharges during Long ride

My battery starts the light and discharges to empty by the end of a 100 mile 200-mile trip voltage seems to be charging what is the problem

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
My battery starts the light and discharges to empty by the end of a 100 mile 200-mile trip voltage seems to be charging what is the problem
Need diagnostic tests. Voltage readings at the battery with engine off and at varied rpm.

Stator could still have a problem but the one leg is still able to trigger the head light.

Next comes stator and RR tests.

Won't hurt to test the battery as well.

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
101 - 113 of 113 Posts