Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I had been having an issue lately where the bike would start to act like she was out of gas at around 110-120 miles on the tank. I knew that I should have been able to go to about 140 miles before switching to reserve. I would switch to reserve when it would start happening and it didn't really improve. Luckily I was always near a gas station so I would just pull in and fill up (about 2.5 - 2.7 gallons worth) and then take off with no issues again.

I had cleaned the vent hose and even taken the gas cap apart to clean it well. No improvement.

Then I saw a thread by VOIPDoc I think about replacing the little diaphragms in the cap with lawn mower filter material. That got me thinking. So I took those diaphragms out of my gas cap to inspect them more closely than I had before. One was stuck to the plastic and I couldn't blow through it at all. I peeled it off the plastic and then it worked like it should. I went ahead and replaced them both with the lawn mower filter material for now to avoid the issue completely. No problems since.

So all of that was a long winded way to say make sure you clean and check those little diaphragms really well.
Good info & facts right there ! Thanks Dev.

:smiley_th

·
Registered
99 Posts
Venting question

I appreciate this forum in ways that words can't describe. I began experiencing my own POOGS symptoms last month and just knowing that POOGS is even "a thing" helped me to not panic when I found myself on the side of the road with a stalled bike. Waiting a few minutes with an open gas cap got me back up and running instead of calling for my brother in law to fetch me with his trailer.

I topped of the tank and it ran fine until I got just at the halfway point and it POOGSed again, so I seemed to have confirmation about the cause so I performed the POOGS procedure very diligently and was sure I'd solved the problem...except that it POOGSed me again, this time with a 3/4 tank.

So my question is about how Kawi decided how we should have our fuel systems vented-- was it due to EPA rules, or is it mechanically the best way? Wouldn't it be simpler to just remove that rubber diaphragm in the gas cap assembly and be done with it? Wouldn't that go a long ways to ensuring that there is atmospheric pressure in the tank, or does it need to be slightly positive to ensure proper fuel delivery-- or are our carbs gravilty-fed? As I understand it POOGS is a result of negative pressure (vacuum) in the tank, so if we ensured it is neutral (atmospheric) wouldn't POOGS just go away?

I'm headed outside again to wrench on the bike instead of riding it so advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
I appreciate this forum in ways that words can't describe. I began experiencing my own POOGS symptoms last month and just knowing that POOGS is even "a thing" helped me to not panic when I found myself on the side of the road with a stalled bike. Waiting a few minutes with an open gas cap got me back up and running instead of calling for my brother in law to fetch me with his trailer.

I topped of the tank and it ran fine until I got just at the halfway point and it POOGSed again, so I seemed to have confirmation about the cause so I performed the POOGS procedure very diligently and was sure I'd solved the problem...except that it POOGSed me again, this time with a 3/4 tank.

So my question is about how Kawi decided how we should have our fuel systems vented-- was it due to EPA rules, or is it mechanically the best way? Wouldn't it be simpler to just remove that rubber diaphragm in the gas cap assembly and be done with it? Wouldn't that go a long ways to ensuring that there is atmospheric pressure in the tank, or does it need to be slightly positive to ensure proper fuel delivery-- or are our carbs gravilty-fed? As I understand it POOGS is a result of negative pressure (vacuum) in the tank, so if we ensured it is neutral (atmospheric) wouldn't POOGS just go away?

I'm headed outside again to wrench on the bike instead of riding it so advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Matt
Neutral Atmospheric -yes.
The trick is to allow air INTO the tank, but keep any/all gasoline from leaking/spilling out.
Read Post #40

:smiley_th

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
That is precisely what VOIPDoc did (and I followed) in the thread I was talking about. Here is the thread: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30721&highlight=POOG

Now, you make a good point about perhaps the engineers designed it to not be as free flowing as foam filter would allow. I haven't run it long enough to make sure it hasn't really hurt my MPG or anything. But I'll keep an eye on it and let y'all know.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback. I decided to see if reattaching a loose hose (to the rear of the right air cleaner ass'y) would make any difference, I also took the seat off to make sure that the tank vent hose wasn't crimped (it might have been, there was a shiny spot where the edge of the seat pan might have rubbed against it).

I put 98 miles on it today, got it below half a tank on one of the hottest days of the year (if temp makes any difference) and there was no sign of POOGS. I don't see it all the time, but having identified 2 different possible contributors to the problem I am hopeful.

I do think that at some point I will consider removing or poking a hole in that diaphragm in the gas tank lid but I want to see if any others have found any unintended consequences of that. I'm guessing it is for EPA/gas evap regs but who knows?

Thanks everyone for your help, I'll let you know if I remain POOGS-free.

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, new member here, first post. I got a '95 VN750 that seems to be having the POOGS issue (as well as a busted rectifier/regulator issue). I took to cleaning it today after having a bout with the issue last night, and I've got to say, the vent tube and gas cap venting system looked remarkably clean.

Is there any other issue that could seem like POOGS but is actually something else? I did/do have a loose hose on my right side air box like user Mattman said. I believed I reattached it when I installed air filters, but now I'm not exactly sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Alright so I've got a POOGS problem that's pretty bizarre. After it happened the first two times I pulled the gas cap and checked the valve and its spotless and in great working condition. I pour some seafoam (just to check things out) into the vent hole and see it drip out of the hose crystal clear- no blockage. Previous owner already relocated the vent hose so it stops in under the middle of the bike instead of behind the rear wheel. I then treat the gas with seafoam for three consecutive fill-ups to try and clean out the fuel lines and carbs just in case something is gunked up there. I then ride no problem for 2 months. Today I get POOGS again.

Here's the bizarre part. All three times it happens at PRECISELY the same stretch of road on my daily commute. In fact, 2 of those times I pulled off in the same driveway, that's how exact it is on the same spot. Its a low-lying road that dips into a little creek valley and comes back up after maybe a mile. I ride 4.5 miles out in the morning, the engine is good and warm, and it kinda sputters like it wants to stall but comes back after a second and I ride the last few hundred yards to where I work. But then, on the way home 8 hours later, I hit the same exact spot on that same road and it sputters and stalls (engine not as warm, since this road is right next to where I work). I pull off onto the shoulder, wait 30 seconds or a minute, hit the starter, it hesitates, then fires up like normal and I ride the rest of the way home with no incident.

All three times it has happened precisely that way. No change at all. I go down a hill, go by the creek on a flat curvy stretch, bike sputters and stalls, I pull off and let it sit, it fires up, I ride the rest of the way home like nothing happened. Its not the hills either because I live on a hill that I climb and coast down every day that's steeper than the ones on this road. Am I crazy for thinking that the cause is something environmental here, or is it just the weirdest coincidence ever? The only thing I can think of is that its consistently like 5 or 10 degrees cooler down by that creek than anywhere else on my daily commute, but it can't just be from sucking cold air since I rode down into the teens this winter with no problems but a sticky speedo cable.

What other causes should I check on? I'm really scratching my head here...

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Alright so I've got a POOGS problem that's pretty bizarre. After it happened the first two times I pulled the gas cap and checked the valve and its spotless and in great working condition. I pour some seafoam (just to check things out) into the vent hole and see it drip out of the hose crystal clear- no blockage. Previous owner already relocated the vent hose so it stops in under the middle of the bike instead of behind the rear wheel. I then treat the gas with seafoam for three consecutive fill-ups to try and clean out the fuel lines and carbs just in case something is gunked up there. I then ride no problem for 2 months. Today I get POOGS again.

Here's the bizarre part. All three times it happens at PRECISELY the same stretch of road on my daily commute. In fact, 2 of those times I pulled off in the same driveway, that's how exact it is on the same spot. Its a low-lying road that dips into a little creek valley and comes back up after maybe a mile. I ride 4.5 miles out in the morning, the engine is good and warm, and it kinda sputters like it wants to stall but comes back after a second and I ride the last few hundred yards to where I work. But then, on the way home 8 hours later, I hit the same exact spot on that same road and it sputters and stalls (engine not as warm, since this road is right next to where I work). I pull off onto the shoulder, wait 30 seconds or a minute, hit the starter, it hesitates, then fires up like normal and I ride the rest of the way home with no incident.

All three times it has happened precisely that way. No change at all. I go down a hill, go by the creek on a flat curvy stretch, bike sputters and stalls, I pull off and let it sit, it fires up, I ride the rest of the way home like nothing happened. Its not the hills either because I live on a hill that I climb and coast down every day that's steeper than the ones on this road. Am I crazy for thinking that the cause is something environmental here, or is it just the weirdest coincidence ever? The only thing I can think of is that its consistently like 5 or 10 degrees cooler down by that creek than anywhere else on my daily commute, but it can't just be from sucking cold air since I rode down into the teens this winter with no problems but a sticky speedo cable.

What other causes should I check on? I'm really scratching my head here...
first, I would suggest starting a post of your own asking for help in the appropriate section.
This could get lengthy and we should try yo avoid adding to this sticky unless it is necessary.

When you start a thread, give as much information about your setup....stock air filters? mods done to the bike....etc. this will help us narrow it down and avoid us having to ask a lot of questions.

That being said, I would check your fuel lines for pinched lines. Check the vaccum line to the petcock for cracks or splits, and also check your "choke" plunger to ensure it completely disengages.

See you on another thread :)

·
Registered
450 Posts
My "perfect" '95 Vulcan 750...no issues at all,very smooth great little bike!!Least till last Fri!!POOGS!!Dammitt,going 'bout 60 or so down smooth open road,air temp about 77 so perfect.A smidgen below half full and WHAM...loss of power...no gas feel.Pulled over sat couple min, turned petcock to "reserve" wait, no.... I turn petcock to.... OFF DUH!!Would not start DUH!!Relized what I'd done went to reserve,crankin,crankin,crankin START...took off!About 1.5 miles pull over again,loosed gas cap waited 10 min START 1 mile to gas station top off tank, 7 miles to house,all good.My vent seemed clear but I still need to check the gas cap "hole" itself.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
My "perfect" '95 Vulcan 750...no issues at all,very smooth great little bike!!Least till last Fri!!POOGS!!Dammitt,going 'bout 60 or so down smooth open road,air temp about 77 so perfect.A smidgen below half full and WHAM...loss of power...no gas feel.Pulled over sat couple min, turned petcock to "reserve" wait, no.... I turn petcock to.... OFF DUH!!Would not start DUH!!Relized what I'd done went to reserve,crankin,crankin,crankin START...took off!About 1.5 miles pull over again,loosed gas cap waited 10 min START 1 mile to gas station top off tank, 7 miles to house,all good.My vent seemed clear but I still need to check the gas cap "hole" itself.
You need to inspect the entire venting system from end-to-end, not just the gas cap itself. Pay especially close attention to the 90 degree bend in the gas cap vent piston (the orange insert under the gas cap with silicone valve). It slides out using a pair or tweezers or dental pick. The bend in the valve is the narrowest point the entire vent system and easily clogged by a even a small grain of sand (see image below).

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I had a little problem with DOOGS (DAMN OUT OF GAS SYNDROME) this summer myself. (Can't call it POOGS anymore because it is not a Phantom problem anymore. We know now that the problem is vent related. :pepper:).

As for the petcock, just remember to turn the LEVER FORWARD TO GO FORWARD.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Yes I intend on checking the enrtire gas cap...cant get to that little vent hole without taking that plunger/diaphram out anyway.Wanna do the "tiny filter" thing like others have.Thank you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
CA model emmissions removal

Hey guys....

So, I have a '93 Vulcan......with poogs. I am new to motorcycles, & through much reading of the threads here, I have realized I have a CA model....with the emissions garbage.

My questions are; can anyone give me a good detailed "how to" on either removing the emissions junk, or how to clean/solve the poogs issue & leave the "junk" intact?

I'm reasonably mechanically inclined, just not too familiar with "if I take this part off, this hose needs to go here, or get plugged" type jobs. I know this thread hasnt been added to in awhile, so if someone either knows the answer, or can paste a link to find the answer would help alot.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
I thought the beginning of this thread went over the procedure. The CA "emissions crap" is just a charcoal canister hooked to the vent line I believe.
Removing it should be fairly simple. Clearing out the gas cap is still the same job , has nothing to do with the bike being a California only bike.

41 - 60 of 81 Posts