Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,742 Posts
Not having a CA bike, I don't have personal experience. If memory serves, those that did it said it reduced unneccesary equipment that could adversely affect performance if it malfunctioned. Believe some also thought it improved performance with that stuff off.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
I did the ear shave, removed all the Cali crap, and capped the right side metal tube coming from the gas tank and NEVER suffered POOGS again.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I started to clean the vent in the cap but the washer on the bottom of the lock mechanism came off the cap easily but would not come off the lock mechanism. I was afraid to force it and take the chance of tearing it. Does anyone know of a way to get it off or is itavailable from Kawasaki?

Thanks

Travis

·
Registered
114 Posts
Had my first POOGS episode. Luckily I'm a member here and knew what to do. Opening the gas cap got me going again for another 3 miles. It happened again so I just went home with the cap open.
Rather than working on the cap while on the bike I removed it and took it inside where it's cool. The gasket was stuck to the valve side instead of the cap side and separated some while taking it off. Looks like it had swollen and blocked the passages. I did the cleaning and flipped the gasket over for reassembly.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Someone else here in the past year or so, had another thread where he had several pictures documenting his cleaning and modification of the gas cap to improve venting of the tank.

I thought I had saved it to my favorites, but can`t find it there.
I have searched through the last 600 thread titles in this tech forum going back 2 years, and cannot find it.
Does anyone else remember this thread or who wrote it?

If so, please put a link to it here in cglennon's thread, so all the best info is in one easy to find place.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Someone else here in the past year or so, had another thread where he had several pictures documenting his cleaning and modification of the gas cap to improve venting of the tank.

I thought I had saved it to my favorites, but can`t find it there.
I have searched through the last 600 thread titles in this tech forum going back 2 years, and cannot find it.
Does anyone else remember this thread or who wrote it?

If so, please put a link to it here in cglennon's thread, so all the best info is in one easy to find place.
Thanks in advance.
This?

Attachments

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
That is the picture exactly Doc. :smiley_th
Could you please post a link to the thread it comes from as well?
Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
That is the picture exactly Doc. :smiley_th
Could you please post a link to the thread it comes from as well?
Thanks.
Well, I would if I could. The pic is not in that thread any longer.
If possible, I suggest Chris G attach the pic in his post at the beginning of this thread.....it's a great post.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a question. I have an 85 VN700 and the PO painted the tank with black primer. I looked at the gas cap, and it seems to be fine, but there is no vent hole in the tank itself.
Should there be one right below the vent hole on the gas cap?
There is no vent tube on the rear of my tank. It's up towards the center of the tank across from the sending unit. It has a short hose that has a bend near the end, and it looked like it was connected to something under the frame near the diverter valve was.
It has been coastered and the diverter valve and hoses have all been taken out, and there is a cap on the front cylinder carb.
As far as I know, it's the stock tank.

·
Prowling Tiger
2,048 Posts
I have a question. I have an 85 VN700 and the PO painted the tank with black primer. I looked at the gas cap, and it seems to be fine, but there is no vent hole in the tank itself.
Should there be one right below the vent hole on the gas cap?
There is no vent tube on the rear of my tank. It's up towards the center of the tank across from the sending unit. It has a short hose that has a bend near the end, and it looked like it was connected to something under the frame near the diverter valve was.
It has been coastered and the diverter valve and hoses have all been taken out, and there is a cap on the front cylinder carb.
As far as I know, it's the stock tank.
The tank should have a vent under the cap, near the mounting screws. The sending units have a nipple on the cover. As far as I know, it has no purpose. A California model will have 2 vent tubes protruding from rear near the rear mount tab. Sounds as though the po tried relocating the vent tube.

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
The tank should have a vent under the cap, near the mounting screws. The sending units have a nipple on the cover. As far as I know, it has no purpose. A California model will have 2 vent tubes protruding from rear near the rear mount tab. Sounds as though the po tried relocating the vent tube.
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure the 1985 700 did not have a vent hole in the tank. The gas cap simply vented at the back of the cap.

All the 1985 tanks I've seen have no hole. Not sure when it was introduced.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Sorry, but I'm pretty sure the 1985 700 did not have a vent hole in the tank. The gas cap simply vented at the back of the cap.

All the 1985 tanks I've seen have no hole. Not sure when it was introduced.
I have a new in box VN700 tank and it has no vent holes in the back. My 86 California model does, however.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just had POOGS happen to me on my way home from work a few minutes ago. Luckily...it happened as I was pulling into my neighborhood...and I'm just the 3rd house... Coasted to my driveway.
X2... just as we entered our cul-de-sac after a nice Sunday ride... blah.

Luckily not while on the Hwy crossing the bridge or some other less convenient location. :doh:

I have an '03 CA model and want to yank the extra hoses and canister during the off season. I think the vent goes to the canister?? because it sure doesn't drain out anywhere that I can see. And I'd bet money that my canister is full of gas and other crap.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
if you arent going to fix it right away get a spare key and let it hang in the cap while riding and if the bile acts up open the cap it will catch up and keep you rolling

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have an '03 CA model and want to yank the extra hoses and canister during the off season. I think the vent goes to the canister?? because it sure doesn't drain out anywhere that I can see. And I'd bet money that my canister is full of gas and other crap.
There is a separator that takes any liquid and pumps it back to the gas tank, hence the 2 hoses on the tank. The the vapor goes from the separator to the canister and then to the surge tank.
There shouldn't be anything in the canister if the separator is working. Even better, there shouldn't be anything in the canister if it's not on your bike.

·
Registered
12 Posts
just completed steps 1 and 2, as I too have been experiencing poogs ( i think ). we'll see when i get down to 1/2 tank or so see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I had been having an issue lately where the bike would start to act like she was out of gas at around 110-120 miles on the tank. I knew that I should have been able to go to about 140 miles before switching to reserve. I would switch to reserve when it would start happening and it didn't really improve. Luckily I was always near a gas station so I would just pull in and fill up (about 2.5 - 2.7 gallons worth) and then take off with no issues again.

I had cleaned the vent hose and even taken the gas cap apart to clean it well. No improvement.

Then I saw a thread by VOIPDoc I think about replacing the little diaphragms in the cap with lawn mower filter material. That got me thinking. So I took those diaphragms out of my gas cap to inspect them more closely than I had before. One was stuck to the plastic and I couldn't blow through it at all. I peeled it off the plastic and then it worked like it should. I went ahead and replaced them both with the lawn mower filter material for now to avoid the issue completely. No problems since.

So all of that was a long winded way to say make sure you clean and check those little diaphragms really well.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts