Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I've followed all the phantom gas threads for a while. When I had scarlet apart for the fix from the accident I totally cleaned & prepped the tank. I made sure that air vent was clean. I then dismantled my gas cap to inspect & clean it. Blew air through all the little holes I couldn't get to & removed the floppy detached gasket material that's in there. I'm certain that was my culpret. Hell, I've even got my reserve back. Sweet! Worth checking out if your having the phantom gas issue.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Does this mean that you're the new ghost buster? :smiley_th

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've cleaned my cap out and the vent line as well, but I'm still having issues. When you mention "removed the floppy detached gasket material that's in there" are you referring to the red-ish circles that act as backflow stops?

I have the smallest tank of anyone I ride with and they like to cruise a little fast so my mileage is an issue, having this problem makes it even worse- almost embarrassing sometimes.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Some of the out of gas symptoms can also be caused by crud floating around your tank.

When I got my 01' I took the tank off and the petcock off and big chunks of stuff came out. I'm thinking if that is floating around and you get vaccum from the carbs and it can suck that crud onto the screens and stop fuel flow or at least slow it down enough to make the bike act up and when the bike shuts off the crud comes off and your off again. Also if you don't use the reserve much the water doesn't get perged from the tank either and a shot of water will kill a bike or slow it down anyways.

I know seafoam works on water and does a hell of a cleaning, but it doesn't totally get rid of it with this new ethynol mix because seafoam has been out long before ethynol and isn't really formulated to take care of the new problems. This is why I use the K100 mg it is formulated for the ethynol/fuel mix and makes water burn.

Also as I mentioned in previous threads, when I am on the highway I put the bike on reserve to get rid of any water that may be in there. The higher revs and steady throttle will keep the bike from stumbling if I get a good does of water.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The vaccuum hose that goes to the petcock from the carb has caused a problem simular to the phantom problem. A small leak in the hose will keep the feul from flowing into the carbs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts