Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I need to replace the petcock, it is leaking from everywhere and I don't think just the repair kit will fix it. :doh:

so, my question is, is there any other petcock that you would recommend instead of the OEM? cheaper, better, etc!! :confused:

thank you all.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Unless the metal components are cracked or warped, the repair kit should fix it. Sorry, don't know which, if any, petcocks can be swapped for it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
leaking from the sides.

Unless the metal components are cracked or warped, the repair kit should fix it. Sorry, don't know which, if any, petcocks can be swapped for it.
the thing is that it is leaking from the left and right sides, on the elbows that connect the hoses to the petcock. and it doesn't use any o-ring.
so my guess is the kit won't fix it since this piece is bare metal, nothing to replace there.

My wrench guy told me that there are some petcocks from yamaha that should work, but my cell phone is not working and his number is there! so I have no way to call him 'til I can get the numbers out of the cell phone.

anyone else knows about a "compatible" petcock?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Those elbows are friction fitted into the petcock. Mine will move if enough pressure is applied to them, but they don't leak. If mine started to leak, I would pull them out, apply some fuel impervious adhesive, and reassemble.

Do yours leak when the engine is shut off? If so, the repair kit will definitely fix it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes

Those elbows are friction fitted into the petcock. Mine will move if enough pressure is applied to them, but they don't leak. If mine started to leak, I would pull them out, apply some fuel impervious adhesive, and reassemble.

Do yours leak when the engine is shut off? If so, the repair kit will definitely fix it.
yes it seems that it doesn´t have enough friction to keep the fuel in. I'll try using the adhesive on the elbows fitting.

and yes, mine leaks a lot with the engine off. so you said it means that the kit will stop all the leaking!?:pepper:

Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
The petcock is vacuum operated. If the internal diaphram is functioning properly, fuel flow should stop when the engine is turned off. I'm guessing yours is messed up and the rebuild kit would fix it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I had a brawl with my petcock a year or so ago (the posts are around here somewhere). I wound up replacing the diaphragm and every piece of rubber associated with it. Solved the problem, but it was a pain in the butt...

--FA

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ended up replacing it.

Thank you all for your feedback.

I ended up replacing the whole petcock with a third party one. I just took it to a parts store and I found a brand new petcock (very cheap btw), it does not have the vacuum thingy but it has an OFF position. (the older one had it but where not plugged anyway, since the diaphragm was not working as expected).

At least my problem is solved for now. I bought this cheaper replacement since my bike needed . since I live in Costa Rica, its kind of hard to find OEM parts here, and if I'm able to find them they are waay expensive. I rather buy everything in ebay or other online store, but the shipment takes at least a week to get down here!!

PD.
the new petcock is supposed to be from Yamaha.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Hey, if it works, it works.

You might post more info on the petcock in case someone else needs a cheap replacement option.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The part #

Hey, if it works, it works.

You might post more info on the petcock in case someone else needs a cheap replacement option.
This is the information I found in the box:
---------------------------------------------
- Model: XT200
- ITEM: COCK FUEL
- PART No: 15A-24500-02
---------------------------------------------
it has only one pipe that go to the Carbs, so I used a T to connect it to both carbs, It works perfectly, I thought it wouldn't send enough fuel to both carbs but it does.:motorcycl

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Who manufactured it?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
In post #9 he said it was supposed to be from Yamaha.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Oops, missed that! Thanks, OlHoss.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeap, if you google that part #, it will show some yamaha info.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I just bought one of these for my bike. Works great so far. The part number discussed earlier appears to be outdated (i cant think of the term they use), but here is what I used:

23F-24500-11-00

One of the bikes they are off of is a 1997 Yamaha Trailway 200 (TW200).

$10.40 or so from Big #1 Yamaha (local pickup for me so no shipping).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Great post!!!!!
I have the same problem with my 2002.
I think that it may have something to do with all the crap they add to the gas!
What did you do with the vacuum line? Just plug it off?
I also changed the vacuum petcock on my Kawasaki KLR with one of the small bike things that I found here.........works cool!!!
By the way......XT usually refers to a Honda not a Yamaha. No big deal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Actually.........before everyone gets upset.......XT IS Yamaha!!
I should know cause I've had several XT500's in the past!!!!! XL is Honda.

Things happen sometimes to your brain when you get to be 69 like me.

What about fuel line size? Is the fuel line on the XT the same as the VN?:confused:

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I just bought one of these for my bike. Works great so far. The part number discussed earlier appears to be outdated (i cant think of the term they use), but here is what I used:

23F-24500-11-00

One of the bikes they are off of is a 1997 Yamaha Trailway 200 (TW200).

$10.40 or so from Big #1 Yamaha (local pickup for me so no shipping).
I think the phrase you are looking for is that the old part number was *superceded* by P/N 23F-24500-11-00.:)

·
Registered
900 Posts
this is a good deal and a cheap mod if it keeps working.. acctualy cheaper than the rebuild kit for ours!... the bolt holes match up well?.. and you plug off the vent line?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts