Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking online for a rebuild kit(?) for my 98 vn750 and everything I see all seems different from each listing. I've pinpointed where it's leaking fuel, a plastic looking gasket thats gray in color sammiched between two pot-metal pieces. Excuse my ignorance as because I don't know what those two pieces are called. Where the shutoff valve is located, its behind that, a hole the size of a ball point pen tip. It's leaked fuel here and there when idling/running but it's gotten way worse as of late and it is time to rectify said problem before the guzzolene ignites my bike in a blazing ball of fury lol. I'm at my nephew's bday party right now and can post a picture later tonight or when I get off work tomorrow. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Dan

Sent from my SM-S120VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Been looking online for a rebuild kit(?) for my 98 vn750 and everything I see all seems different from each listing. I've pinpointed where it's leaking fuel, a plastic looking gasket thats gray in color sammiched between two pot-metal pieces. Excuse my ignorance as because I don't know what those two pieces are called. Where the shutoff valve is located, its behind that, a hole the size of a ball point pen tip. It's leaked fuel here and there when idling/running but it's gotten way worse as of late and it is time to rectify said problem before the guzzolene ignites my bike in a blazing ball of fury lol. I'm at my nephew's bday party right now and can post a picture later tonight or when I get off work tomorrow. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

*edit*
The "gasket" in question is about 1/16th in thickness, stiff like pastic and gray

-Dan

·
Registered
7,934 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought a K&L rebuild kit off of amazon.

https://www.klsupply.com/images/fuel-petcock-repair-kits_App.pdf shows that part 18-2723 is compatible with VN750 from 1986-2006.

The part is on amazon here https://www.amazon.com/Supply-Fuel-Petcock-Repair-18-2723/dp/B001KO2JRW/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1520210831&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=18-2723+k&l

It's $26 and change. Same exact one that I needed for my '85 VN700. The picture on amazon is a generic picture. It comes with a new diaphragm, new o-ring for the selector lever, new gasket that sits behind the selector lever, and a new o-ring where the petcock seals up against the tank. I just rebuilt mine about 2 weeks ago and it works like a champ.

One thing I did that helped was polish all of the surfaces with 800 grit sandpaper. I put it on a piece of glass to make sure it was flat, and got the sandpaper wet. Just like you'd do to get a nice edge on a wood chisel. I put it together the first time and it leaked very slowly. I got all of the mating surfaces to a mirror finish and now they seal up nice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome, thanks for the info. Sorry for the late reply, been busier than all sin at the shop. Ordering the parts next paycheck and will post pics.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I’m in the same boat you’re in. After riding the Vulcan around the block to shake off the winter blues, I found my Petcock peaking unnecessarily. Atleast the bowls aren’t leaking. The Petcock is a much quicker (read: easier) fix. Let me know how the kit works for you. I will have to get one myself.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts