Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading through the forum looking for an answer to this.. I don't really understand the full function of the petcock and what to expect when checking it. I've pulled the tank off my bike in prep for my ear shave and while waiting decided to make sure the petcock is working properly. My question is, should I get a free flow of gas when turned to the "on" position? I am getting no response when I turn it to any position. How can I test to see if it is working properly? Thanks

·
Registered
509 Posts
The Petcock

It is vacuum activated. If it is working properly you will not get any gas until vacuum is applied which opens it up.

Mcneuby

·
Registered
450 Posts
Off is off. On is on untill a certian fuel level. Reserve is the same as on but a slightly lower fuel level (time to get refill). However, On and Reserve will not provide flow until there is engine vacum. It is a fail safe to prevent fuel loss and or a catastrophe. The older versons of this model have no vacum activation and is also considered a prime feature.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, that was my understanding, thanks guys.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hook a piece of 1 foot tubing to the petcocks center nipple and suck (ya wont get any gas in your mouth)...will/should flow then...

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
Yea, had to suck on my vacum line yesterday, I didn't flip to reserve soon enough and the engine died. For some reason when my bowls run out the starter doesn't create enough vacum to open the petcock vacume valve. I've checked for vacum leaks and a vacume gauge flipps all over the place but seems to show a top end "flip" of about 20. Guess it's time to rebuild my petcock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts